Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Question for you C&V mail carrier types

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Question for you C&V mail carrier types

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-22, 01:39 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
Haven't got the chance yet. We have a foot carrier who does letters and a truck for packages. This is pretty small, so I'm not sure which one would have dealt with it, which adds another layer of complexity.
Well the seller mentioned first-class, right? That, plus the size, makes me think your foot carrier would be the place to start.
Old 02-20-22, 05:11 AM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 122 Posts
If you get in contact with your local Post Office , using the Tracking Number. they should be able to find out.........

What Carrier was on your route that day

What Carrier was logged into the scanner that was used to scan it as Delivered

The GPS location of the scan at the time it was scanned Delivered

The GPS location of the scan at time of delivery, should be your house!
Old 02-20-22, 11:03 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by roadsnakes
If you get in contact with your local Post Office , using the Tracking Number. they should be able to find out.........

What Carrier was on your route that day

What Carrier was logged into the scanner that was used to scan it as Delivered

The GPS location of the scan at the time it was scanned Delivered

The GPS location of the scan at time of delivery, should be your house!
I did! I was there at the counter with the tracking number, and I politely asked for all this information and they didn't give me any of it - the clerk did go back into the back and look it up on a computer, I think, and we had a nice exchange about it, but the clerk didn't leave me any information to go on. Just a vague promise of a phone call from the supervisor.

It makes sense. Maybe they could have provided me with the location and the carrier, but they are understaffed and overworked. There was one window open, there were ten people in line behind me, and there is always a now-hiring sign prominently displayed. It is impossible to live in this town on the salary the USPS pays.

Last edited by scarlson; 02-20-22 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-20-22, 11:08 AM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
I did! I was there at the counter with the tracking number, and I asked for all this information and they didn't give me any of it - just a vague promise of a phone call from the supervisor.

It makes sense. Maybe they could have provided me with the location and the carrier, but they are understaffed and overworked. There was one window open, there were ten people in line behind me, and there is always a now-hiring sign prominently displayed. It is impossible to live in this town on the salary the USPS pays.
'

I would keep at it. It doesn`t take that much time to see who was on your route that day, who scanned the parcel, and where they were when they scanned it.
Don`t let it slide.
Old 02-27-22, 09:30 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

I managed to have a chat with the truck carrier. Still haven't gotten ahold of any foot carriers. The truck carrier, a crusty 20-year career veteran of USPS, said I definitely need to find a foot carrier - and my foot carrier route is a "bad" one (no explanation of why), and none of the permanent foot carriers want it. He said that there is a temp carrier normally assigned to it. Then, when the temp calls out sick, there is a replacement temp on it. So it's no wonder things are getting screwed up and nobody is following up!

I am having no luck finding the foot carrier, or calling the post office local phone number. I may have to go in person again, but I really won't have much time for that this week. I'll go door to door with flyers before then - that only takes a few minutes, as opposed to the half hour minimum at the post office.

Also, finally got the seller to respond with information necessary to open a missing package search case, which is different from the help request I opened before, and the other case I opened by going in person to the post office! So I did that. Much more information required - I even uploaded a picture of the contents. We'll see what happens. I am being a super squeaky wheel about this, so I really hope the USPS responds.

Last edited by scarlson; 02-27-22 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-27-22, 10:07 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Does your block/neighborhood have an Email group or nextdoor site (or fakebook etc)?
Old 02-27-22, 11:10 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Interesting and kinda-related issue happened here the other day. We received a bubble mailer, from Amazon, delivered to our address. The address/name on the package did not match our address. In fact, it didn't match any local address in the neighborhood. The street address was correct, but the house number didn't actually exist. Why? When I looked up the person's name on the Interwebs and discovered their actual address I realized how the mistake had been made: the last two numbers had been transposed.

Walked two houses over and delivered it to a grateful neighbor. All's well that ends well

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 02-27-22, 11:35 PM
scarlson 

Originally Posted by madpogue
Does your block/neighborhood have an Email group or nextdoor site (or fakebook etc)?
There is some internet presence for the square mile or so that they call "south medford". Too big an area, I think. I know many of the people on my block, so I've asked around in person with no luck. There are a couple "numerically similar" addresses I want to flyer. We've gotten and hand-re-delivered mail meant for some of them, similar to what Drillium Dude just mentioned doing.
Old 05-12-22, 03:35 PM
scarlson 

Well, I never did get this package!

And I never received any word about anything. The USPS in Medford has had pretty horrible service the whole way through. So, I thought, I'll just get everything delivered to my workplace, which is in a different "town" (still boston if you ask me) and that'll be fine.

Nope!
Another thing has been tracked and confirmed as delivered, but shipping-and-receiving department at work (which scans everything when they receive it) has not received it.

Everything is horrible.
Please don't tell me I should've bought from a local place. I don't want to hear it, and I can't handle the shop guys' attitude or the expense.