Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Suggested Rides in Raleigh NC Area?

Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-22, 03:57 AM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts

Hello. Am planning a trip soon for the kids' tournaments in this area and have never been in Raleigh. I don't know the area at all and I will be bringing my Salsa Warbird in tow so it's a gravel bike that is pretty good on both road and trail as long as there isn't anything gnarly like roots or rocks. Am up for nice rides starting in city center to just about anywhere on road or trail or both as long as it doesn't involve true MTB stuff that is technical and will be there a few days so more than one ride would be welcome. Am up for longer rides too not just like a 4 mile long bike path. Any suggestions from locals or those familiar with the area would be appreciated many thanks.
Old 04-08-22, 06:35 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
I'm surprised no Raleigh area member has replied, probably because we have way more road cyclists on BF than trail riders but it sounds like you're open to either. There's a good greenway system in Raleigh and I really like the Neuse River Trail part of it, so here's some links to trails and a bike shop right on the trail by Falls Lake Dam that probably has some gravel suggestions.

https://www.thebikeguyonthegreenway.com/

https://raleighnc.gov/find-a-trail

https://raleighnc.gov/places/neuse-river-greenway-trail
Old 04-08-22, 05:15 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Here is a link to a set of rides I do regularly. I am starting from North Raleigh, but I am heading to downtown, or Umstead Park, or the Neuse River Trail. From downtown you can get to Umstead Park which is crushed stone. The Art Museum is paved and it is on the way to Umstead Park. To get to the Neuse River Trail, you can take the Walnut Creek Trail or use the roads to the Crabtree Creek Trail. Both go to Anderson Point Park, which lets you go north to the dam or south to Clayton, NC. You can ride through Umstead Park to the Cary greenway which goes around Crabtree Lake. The city has done a nice job of adding bike lanes downtown to the major roads. The greenway runs through NC State University and Dix Park. And finally from downtown you could ride to Lake Johnson which again is all paved greenway. I also enjoy riding through Oakwood Cemetery, lots of history here.

https://ridewithgps.com/collections/...8EAHzvYlAOJHcS

Have fun!

Last edited by themp; 04-08-22 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-08-22, 07:55 PM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
Yes I am open to both trails and road, looking to do both. For example in upstate New York a month ago I did a 78 mile ride around the area. 31 miles were to get to Iroquois national wildlife preserve and 32 miles back. The rest were in the park on fire roads, powerlines and various trails on my Salsa Warbird gravel bike. As far as a pure road trail sure I could do it but that's just wandering around the city. Looking for more a "mixed circuit" as long as it doesn't involve real hardcore technical MTB because I don't have a suspension and only 40mm tires nothing for big rocks, jumps and all that craziness.

Thank you for the replies!