Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Maximum seat height

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Maximum seat height

Old 06-08-22, 02:32 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
That bike has a triple. Is that the 'tripple' you forgot you have on your only road bike?
No the tiny bike also has a tripple
Old 06-08-22, 05:41 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Also dude, not only is your bike to small, your sandals are too small too. With your toes hanging over the end by that much, you're definitely going to lose one when you make a sharp turn with that kid of toe overlap on your wheels.

"toe-verlap"
Likes For growlerdinky:
Old 06-08-22, 05:46 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Well, I looked at the pics. Observations are:
I wasn't expecting Larry to look like "The Dude" from The Big Lebowski.
If he does weigh 260, then he carries it well.
Are those flat pedals with Power Grip straps?

Other than that, Larry looks like Magilla Gorrilla on that bike. Surely he can find a bigger frame at a CO-OP that he can transfer the parts to.
Old 06-08-22, 08:31 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Yeah I plan on riding fixed, have been putting it off because i'm still recovering from a broken neck/surgury to take out a verbetrae. Once im a year out from surgery i'll get a track bike, I know ill crash a few times trying to learn

Respect that broken neck and take better care of yourself my forum friend. — seriously
Old 06-08-22, 08:39 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Take the post out and learn to ride standing. It's the only way that makes sense for you with this frame.
I think he should leave the post and remove the seat. He will learn to ride while standing faster assuming he will learn anything at all.

Old 06-08-22, 08:47 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I think he should leave the post and remove the seat. He will learn to ride while standing faster assuming he will learn anything at all.

Amusing story but I showed up at a road race in the late 90s and forgot my cycling shorts.

A teammate at the same time broke his seat binder bolt , so me thinking my day was done and I would just pump the keg and grill the burgers for the boys for the after party – I gave him my binder bolt

Everybody was so pumped that I got caught up in the emotions of the day and I said F it

Rode 50+ miles with the seat post slammed and in a pair of Jorts (Jean shorts) —. Literally out of the saddle and pushing a huge gear for 70% of the ride — Good times —.

The finishing position was irrelevant to that painful experience -
Likes For DMC707:
Old 06-08-22, 10:17 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by DMC707
Respect that broken neck and take better care of yourself my forum friend. — seriously
thanks, I know. I broke it in the pacific ocean when it was especially angry. I went in again recently on a rather calm day and was terrified of the waves, feels pretty bad. I used to be a pretty good bodysurfer although inexperienced, I shouldn't have been trying to catch waves when I broke my neck but didn't know any better
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 06-08-22, 10:20 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by DMC707
Amusing story but I showed up at a road race in the late 90s and forgot my cycling shorts.

A teammate at the same time broke his seat binder bolt , so me thinking my day was done and I would just pump the keg and grill the burgers for the boys for the after party – I gave him my binder bolt

Everybody was so pumped that I got caught up in the emotions of the day and I said F it

Rode 50+ miles with the seat post slammed and in a pair of Jorts (Jean shorts) —. Literally out of the saddle and pushing a huge gear for 70% of the ride — Good times —.

The finishing position was irrelevant to that painful experience -
thats hilarious. I tried riding with just the seatpost a long time ago when delivering food after my saddle fell off to try and get a better "full body workout." It was super hard, gave up after a couple days, kudos to you for riding like that for 50+ miles haha
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 06-08-22, 10:36 PM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
Larry, I can't tell if you're bs'ing or being serious. Either way, you rock brother!
Old 06-29-22, 07:19 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
Thomson makes strong seat posts in sizes as long as 410mm. https://www.bikethomson.com/product/elite-seatpost/ Hope this helps.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-02-22, 07:14 AM
m.c. 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Do you know the website bleacher report? The cofounder of that website got bought out over a decade ago for 60 million because he is a degenerate drug addict, he used to live in the house im staying at and left a very nice bicycle in the basement about a year and a half ago. I haven't used it because we halfhazardly intend on selling it and buying stuff for the house, but I may start using it at some point. Its a 54. He's currently in some motel with a prostitute and has forgotten about it. I was using the tiny bike because it is significantly less valuable
Any pics of the 54cm bicycle?
Old 07-02-22, 01:36 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by m.c.
Any pics of the 54cm bicycle?
Sure once I get a new phone. Its really nice,almost too nice to ride
Old 10-15-22, 06:03 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Here is a thread about seatpost limits.

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...-tube-top.html

Apparently the rider decided to ride his wife's bike, and raised the seatpost a little too much.

In this case, with a tall mast, I don't believe the minimum insertion line is particularly meaningful. That was a little different frame with a step-through and a rear monostay. But I would have found a seatpost that reached down a couple of inches below the monostay.

Anyway, it depends on the seattube design and where the clamp is. I'd rather choose a frame that fit well. Although I do understand the will to have super low handlebars in some cases.
Old 10-16-22, 01:55 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Yes, a longer lever is a potential cause for concern, and looking at the pictures - well - while I do think that a majority of people buy bikes which are slightly bigger than are really appropriate for them, that really looks like a bike which is more than a couple sizes too small for you.

54 could be okay. Sizes can be misleading, anyway. Something like a Trek Domane in size 54cm has an effective top tube of 542mm and a reach of 374mm; a Merida Reacto in size 54 has an effective top tube of 560mm and a reach of 395cm - basically, it's one size bigger in actuality. I ride a 53cm (535mm effective top tube, 381mm reach) and I'm 179cm tall (or short, however you want to put it).

Last edited by Branko D; 10-16-22 at 02:05 PM.