Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Thinking about recumbents recently

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 04-19-22, 07:41 AM
adlai

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts

I've always been a bicycle guy but I've been thinking about recumbents recently. It seems like electric motors and recumbents are a better fit than bicycles and electrics.

Why isn't there a front wheel drive recumbent? It seems that the long chainline to the rear wheel results in a lot of power losses. Couldn't a sort of FWD be done with a recumbent?
Old 04-19-22, 08:29 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Cruzbikes makes "front wheel drive" recumbents. Putting the drive and steering axis on the same wheel takes a little practice to ride well
Old 04-19-22, 10:53 AM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
As mentioned above there are FWD recumbents. A few manufacturers make them. Cruzbikes, Performer cycles, Velotegra,
I have never ridden one but I am not sure how it feels pedaling when you are turning the front wheel.
And if you are worried about performance loss in the chain by using a mid drive motor you could also opt for hub motor in either the front wheel or the rear wheel. There are various options.
Old 04-19-22, 06:47 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Where do you think the motor should go?

Old 04-19-22, 07:35 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Just put one of those little hidden tour de france motors in the front derailleur mast. Plenty of room in the boom for a massive battery.