Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Please Stop Being So Cheap!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Please Stop Being So Cheap!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-22, 02:04 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26394 Post(s)
Liked 10,367 Times in 7,198 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
My eyes hurt just trying to read the text on the screen in there. Goodness, gracious me!

-Gregory
...I think that forum might be dead now. A lot of the stuff they list as previously sold there seems above what I recognize as current market prices (local to me, anyway).
Old 06-28-22, 02:08 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by billytwosheds
To be fair, you can't actually *cause* anyone to have feelings. It's also impossible to stop people from having feelings, even if you don't appreciate them.

We all do things, and people have feelings about them. It's part of what makes us human.

Perhaps if the response isn't what you expected, then there is something to be learned. I personally steer clear of using thread titles that suggest that other people are doing something wrong.

Commanding people to do what you think is right won't work out well in many cases, no matter how right we think we are.
Maybe I've spent too much time separating myself from feelings associated with conversations held with strangers on the internet, because unless if someone is threatening to do something that will actually cause consequences for me in real life then I have no feelings to offer in such a situation. I'm posting here because I have the time and I had some thoughts, and when others take the time to respond to me I attempt to repay them with my time as well. Hence the continuing conversation.

I've provided my opinion and my reasons for thinking in a certain way, and anyone who reads through this thread will know I am not alone in having such sentiments regarding the topic at hand. I also realize that many people do not agree and I came into this conversation knowing full well that would be the case, or else the criticism I had to share would likely not have occurred at all.

You're absolutely right, I can't help it if other people feel things. I can also refuse to acknowledge folks who decide to make such a conversation into a personal matter. None of this is a bother to me at all and if it turns out that my bringing this up and all of these people responding will have absolutely no influence on how the appraisals sub-forum is perceived then so be it, but at this point I rather doubt that is the case and I'm happy I brought it up. (EDIT: That is despite the fact that maybe several people will distance themselves from my posts in the future based on their responses here. The "social consequences" of an online forum thread are in fact inconsequential to me.)

Cheers!

-Gregory

Last edited by Kilroy1988; 06-28-22 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-28-22, 02:22 PM
Kilroy1988 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Of course they dont all need to be supportive or complimentary. Me saying 'well it for sure wasnt supportive or complimentary' is a way of saying 'you came off aggressive and angry and you took it out on others over and over again, in spite of reasoned responses'.
You're welcome to quote any text in this thread of mine that you perceive to be "aggressive" or "angry" and I can guarantee you I will take the time to reflect upon it and apologize if it seems that way indeed. From the moment I started the thread, when I specifically said "I don't mean to bash anyone," I have attempted to stick by that.
Old 06-28-22, 02:23 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
You're welcome to quote any text in this thread of mine that you perceive to be "aggressive" or "angry" and I can guarantee you I will take the time to reflect upon it and apologize if it seems that way indeed. From the moment I started the thread, when I specifically said "I don't mean to bash anyone," I have attempted to stick by that.
Ok.
Old 06-28-22, 02:41 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
All you noobs are killing me....

Whoever can sell whatever for whatever to whoever for whatever whoever is willing to pay.
Old 06-28-22, 02:43 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
I will take the time to reflect upon it and apologize if it seems that way indeed.
If you dont know then how will you know?
Old 06-28-22, 02:50 PM
Kilroy1988 

Originally Posted by miamijim
If you dont know then how will you know?
If it's not pointed out to me then how can I hope to learn? I just took a few minutes to read everything I wrote in this thread thus far and I can see a few lines that could be perceived as passive-aggressive but were not intended to be that way. It was mostly skepticism or sarcastic banter. If someone else wishes to provide me with an outside perspective, then I'll be happy to reflect upon my words as examples of hostility and how or why I should be more careful with my language in the future. I really haven't been angry at all during this entire affair and don't have a hard time imagining that my words could be misconstrued as such but perhaps I'm wrong.

-Gregory
Old 06-28-22, 02:53 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
You're not breaking any rules. You're just momentarily sucking the fun out of it. That in itself is a considerable social consequence.

[hangs up]
Except, this is one of the more fun threads.

[Repeatedly presses handset plunger on rotary phone, ardently asking, "hello? Hello? Hello!"]
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 06-28-22, 03:44 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by Vonruden
$550 seems a little overpriced.
Prices that meet or exceed New York prices.
Old 06-28-22, 03:48 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by bamboobike4
....let's discuss
an $85/hour minimum wage.
a $2000 Schwinn Stingray.
a $30M Ferrari.
any house in Anaheim.
sailboats.
Pete Rose in the HOF.
Cleveland's QB issues.
Why the Professor never hit on Mary Ann.
How creepy was Lia kissing Luke.
The proper way to load a dishwasher.
Anaheim is where the folk who cannot afford Newport Beach or Costa Mesa live.
But Sailboats are where its at. Vintage fiberglass.
Old 06-28-22, 04:04 PM
WolfgangVerne 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
Fun read so far. No dog in this fight, but I'll throw in another data point.

I bought a Portage about three years ago from a guy in LA for $300, if I recall correctly he had it listed for a few days before I purchased. I ended up selling it in San Diego about a year later. Not the hottest market by any means, but I wouldn't say the SoCal market is cheap either. 23" frame, so a good size and it had all the original components. I even threw on some new Soma 650B tires before selling. I listed it at $500 on FB & Craigslist and didn't get much interest for the first week. Dropped the price down to $450 and ended up selling it for $400 a few days later.
Likes For WolfgangVerne:
Old 06-28-22, 04:13 PM
Kilroy1988 

WolfgangVerne Thanks for taking the time to chime in! Another example that illustrates how local markets vary, especially compared to national/international ones, I think - and a reason to provide consideration for both possibilities.

If anyone else replies to me directly I apologize for a late response as I will not be around until tomorrow evening. Thankfully my current gig gives me rare opportunities such as going out into the desert in the middle of the night to trap and tag endangered giant kangaroo rats, and that's precisely what I'm doing tonight. Cheers!

-Gregory
Old 06-28-22, 04:38 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Seven Pages!
Old 06-28-22, 04:52 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 2,305 Times in 1,115 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
Seven Pages!
And near the end of 6 pages of argument is an example of a Portage selling for about 20% of what the OP said it is worth. I hope tonight there are some more bamboo bikes drunken posts to give it legs to make 9.

Old 06-28-22, 05:03 PM
Kilroy1988 

Originally Posted by Chuck M
And near the end of 6 pages of argument is an example of a Portage selling for about 20% of what the OP said it is worth.
Stopped for fuel and read this. When did I say every Portage was worth $2,000? Or any Portage for that matter if the seller is only willing to advertise locally (as Wolfgang did)? I haven't said anything of the sort. I and mostly everyone else here has been talking about potential prices given the market one chooses to use, and in my case the importance of presenting that plausible situation to the asker of an appraisal might they be interested in taking the time to advertise on eBay or similar markets.

A $400 valuation for a Portage in a local marketplace might be perfectly reasonable and I never said otherwise. I was talkinh about presenting the whole picture.
-Gregory
Old 06-28-22, 05:15 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 2,305 Times in 1,115 Posts
A $400 valuation for a Portage in a local marketplace might be perfectly reasonable and I never said otherwise. I was talkinh about presenting the whole picture.
-Gregory
So you want anyone on the internet offering opinions to research all markets and methods of sale to paint a broader picture of what the bike may be worth? I'm beginning to think some of the posters that feel you started this thread to stir up dissent may be right.

Old 06-28-22, 05:15 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
I'll stop being cheap when you stop being a hardass...
Old 06-28-22, 05:52 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,253 Posts
I will never stop being cheap. I invented thrift stores...ask Jeb Bush. It's the only way I/we were able to raise a family, buy a home (most of it) and send my kids to school.

However, being thrifty has never caused me to undervalue a bicycle, appraisals or otherwise.

Can we make this stop now? It's like we're in lockdown again.
Likes For clubman:
Old 06-28-22, 06:26 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I left a good job in the city.
Working for the man every night and day.

Likes For seypat:
Old 06-28-22, 07:26 PM
hazetguy 
only here for the "LIKES"

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Liked 2,232 Times in 1,049 Posts
Opportunity for someone to cash in.

​​​​​​https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9-500b41127c1d
for those not paying attention, that's the same bike which was asked about in the appraisal forum that started all of this nonsense. just sayin'
Likes For hazetguy:
Old 06-28-22, 08:06 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
This started out being kinda entertaining. No longer.
Gregory, you’re a genuinely nice guy and a smart bike fella. Time to let this rest.
BB4, have a beer and go to bed.
Admins, time to lock this one up?
Old 06-28-22, 08:06 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked 747 Times in 407 Posts
Jeez.

Can we just get rid of the egos and admit to the facts?

1. C&V appraisals often does a poor job at helping forum newbies get their top dollar. Sometimes that's out of ignorance, sometimes a different perspective (i.e. what they'd like to pay rather than what the bike can bring in), or sometimes a desire to keep prices down by giving, well, dishonest advice.

2. The Portage is an $1800 bike. It's also a $200 bike. Products sell at the price the market can support. Marketing and audience play a huge role. Kilroy never said every single Portage should sell for $1800 or that every single Portage has, he merely wanted to call attention to the low-balling and that he's perturbed by the forum's culture of giving low prices for bikes/components that can certainly bring in more.

3. It's the internet, it's anonymous, and the social contract is tenuous at best, even on an old-school forum like BF. Especially when it's some random person that's using our knowledge to make money, rather than a discussion between regular forum members. I can certainly see how one could start rationalizing a quid pro quo attitude to giving appraisal askers a price lower than market-value. Maybe that's fair, maybe that isn't, but we can agree that it's dishonest, no?

I think all Kilroy wanted to do was inject a bit more honesty and/or thought behind the prices we give to strangers who come asking for help. I think the thread has had a bit of mission creep and now we're all carving up each other's posts like lawyers. We ought to reign it in a bit.
Likes For Piff:
Old 06-28-22, 10:16 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I don’t frequent the C&V Appraisal forum. I do think it is good to keep all of that away from the normal C&V threads. I wouldn’t get rid of it.

To be honest, except for exceptional rare and/or high end bikes, the appraisals/opinions/whatever for production bikes are just guesses made by a particular generation about stuff that, pretty much, only that generation cares about.

If you think a number is too low, just wait long enough and it will be sitting at some Goodwill. So sell it for whatever you can while you can get it.

But older bikes will never lose their charm. Someday people will be paying big bucks to find that ebike they wanted when they were a kid.

John
Old 06-28-22, 10:55 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts
"dishonest"

You sure about that?
Old 06-28-22, 11:08 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked 747 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
"dishonest"

You sure about that?
I think in the specific way I mentioned, yeah.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.