Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Not sure if I could do this ride.

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-12, 10:51 PM
entouragegeek78

Bikes: Scott S30

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First off, I'm new to the forums.

A few of my friends are doing a ride this weekend and want me to join them but I am a little hesitant, so I want to get some opinions.

I am in ok shape, have been actively training for a Sprint Triathlon that is a few weeks from now. As of today, I feel I could get thru the tri without any issues, but not at a rocket pace. However the course is relatively flat.

The ride this weekend is 50 miles and there is a 10 mile climb (starting elev 3150, ending 5150). I have never ridden that distance before and never climbed like that before.

My friends have been cycling longer than I have and I feel are in slightly better shape than me and have full carbon high $ bikes, compared to my Alum frame newbie bike.

I honestly think I couldn't make the climb and am leaning toward not riding, but it could be just my fear of trying and failing.
Old 09-05-12, 11:12 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Do it.

What's the worst that can happen?

Bring plenty of water and clif bars, you'll be fine. Report back on Monday.
Old 09-06-12, 01:35 AM
drmweaver2

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I say go with the understanding that you do not have to finish the ride with them/ride it at their speed.
Old 09-06-12, 04:10 AM
Dad 2 3

Bikes: Scott CR1 Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Do it.

+1

Welcome to the forum BTW!
Old 09-06-12, 07:49 AM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Do it.

^This
2000'/10 miles is less than a 4% grade average
Old 09-06-12, 10:09 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
OK, this sounds familiar. Do yourself a favor and read these threads. A bunch of us did a ride that we were "afraid" of August 5. It sounds like you may be in better shape than most of us are, but we still did it. The second thread is the report from the ride, and how we did, how we felt, and how encouraged we were.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ghlight=virgin
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ghlight=virgin

Go do the ride....and like TrojanHorse says, let us know how it went. Pictures help, too!
Old 09-06-12, 10:18 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
There's only one way to find out.

Originally Posted by entouragegeek78
I honestly think I couldn't make the climb and am leaning toward not riding, but it could be just my fear of trying and failing.
Trying and failing is better (and more fun and more interesting and - believe it or not - more rewarding) than not trying at all.
Old 09-06-12, 10:43 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
I recommend that you check the ride's "fine print." SAG may be limited and for true emergencies as opposed to "I can't climb this hill. Can I get a ride?" Our club just held its yearly ride to Brooklyn. The ride instructions say just that.
Old 09-06-12, 11:04 AM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Old 09-06-12, 11:09 AM
Wolfwerx

Bikes: '74 Schwinn Le Tour (x2), '83 Bianchi, '96 Trek 820, '96 Trek 470, '99 Xmart Squishy Bike, '03 Giant Cypress

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you feel that you are physically capable of doing a tri, then you should be able to ride that distance. You may not be the leader of the pack, but you should be able to make it through just fine.

Also, expensive bikes... cheap bikes, none of it means crap if you don't get out there and ride.
Old 09-06-12, 11:49 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolfwerx
Also, expensive bikes... cheap bikes, none of it means crap if you don't get out there and ride.
Well said. I had an interesting revelation after our first GMR ride. While in the hospital, I spent a LOT of time on the 41, and got sucked into the whole mindset of 105 at MINIMUM, CAAD, Carbon or go home, cheap wheels are more square than round, etc., etc, etc. After our first GMR ride, I realized I have no bloody idea what groups anyone had. I mean I think I saw an Ultegra derailer somewhere. I'm not sure whose bike it was on, though. I think I saw a Tiagra shifter, too. Again, don't remember who had it. There was carbon, aluminum and Ti, too. No bike exploded and everyone made it to the goal. That's when it sunk in....it's about the ride, not the gear. Run what you want. Buy what you can afford.....and whatever it is.....RIDE IT!
Old 09-06-12, 12:04 PM
psalm
A square going nowhere

Bikes: CAAD 8 & CAAD 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it could be just my fear of trying and failing.
The only way for sure that you will fail is if you don't ride. Just getting out there and riding is success.
Old 09-06-12, 12:34 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
Well said. I had an interesting revelation after our first GMR ride. While in the hospital, I spent a LOT of time on the 41, and got sucked into the whole mindset of 105 at MINIMUM, CAAD, Carbon or go home, cheap wheels are more square than round, etc., etc, etc. After our first GMR ride, I realized I have no bloody idea what groups anyone had. I mean I think I saw an Ultegra derailer somewhere. I'm not sure whose bike it was on, though. I think I saw a Tiagra shifter, too. Again, don't remember who had it. There was carbon, aluminum and Ti, too. No bike exploded and everyone made it to the goal. That's when it sunk in....it's about the ride, not the gear. Run what you want. Buy what you can afford.....and whatever it is.....RIDE IT!
Exactly! The most important part is the "engine" and the only way to imporove that is RIDE and try to do what you think you can't.

I didn't think I could do GMR especially after the FAIL on the Metric I did in June. I plan on doing that Metric again next year and maybe some of my Clyde/Athena pals will sign up and do the ride with me (?) I may even go for the Century next year instead of the Metric. I am not afraid of hills now...I still struggle at times (see last weekends GMR ride as example #1) but I also didn't give up...I stopped as often as I felt necessary...but I kept going UP until I reached the shack
Old 09-06-12, 02:24 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Trying and failing is better (and more fun and more interesting and - believe it or not - more rewarding) than not trying at all.
My best stories are DNFs, or stories of horriffic struggle in finishing.
Old 09-06-12, 03:42 PM
hartphoto 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
While in the hospital, I spent a LOT of time on the 41.....
Can someone enlighten me on what the '41' is? Is it a website....state of mind (I usually see it posted here on BF in a negative light)....????

And....I'll 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 20th, whatever'th.....what the others are saying. Just do it. And....go at your own pace, especially during the first hour.
Old 09-06-12, 03:47 PM
psalm
A square going nowhere

Bikes: CAAD 8 & CAAD 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hartphoto
Can someone enlighten me on what the '41' is? Is it a website....state of mind (I usually see it posted here on BF in a negative light)....????
It's the road cycling section of this forum. If you go to it,look at your address bar, you'll see "41-Road-Cycling" at the end, hence the 41. Almost every thread there ends up in an argument of some sort.
Old 09-06-12, 04:03 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yah, what Psalm said. The C/A forum is:

https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...00-lb-91-kg%29 - or 248.

This is a much friendlier place, with encouraging people. The 41 tends to be a snarky place with enough posters who play "tough guy behind the keyboard" to really detract from what it has to offer. Mention carbon and the within the first couple posts, someone will post a stupid post about carbon asploding.
Old 09-06-12, 04:04 PM
hartphoto 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by psalm
It's the road cycling section of this forum. If you go to it,look at your address bar, you'll see "41-Road-Cycling" at the end, hence the 41. Almost every thread there ends up in an argument of some sort.
Got it....Thanks. Don't spend much time there...or looking at the URL info....just clicking away....

And....to keep it sort of on topic.....entouragegeek78......don't be your own worst enemy. You'll do fine.
Old 09-06-12, 04:11 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
First off, I'm new to the forums.

A few of my friends are doing a ride this weekend and want me to join them but I am a little hesitant, so I want to get some opinions.

I am in ok shape, have been actively training for a Sprint Triathlon that is a few weeks from now. As of today, I feel I could get thru the tri without any issues, but not at a rocket pace. However the course is relatively flat.

The ride this weekend is 50 miles and there is a 10 mile climb (starting elev 3150, ending 5150). I have never ridden that distance before and never climbed like that before.

My friends have been cycling longer than I have and I feel are in slightly better shape than me and have full carbon high $ bikes, compared to my Alum frame newbie bike.

A 10 mile climb that gains 2000 feet means 200 feet per mile in elevation gain. There are 5280 feet in a mile, so you're gaining 200 feet every 5280 feet, so your gradient is an average of slightly under 4%. You'll certainly be aware of the gradient but parts of it are likely to be more like a "false flat" than a serious climb.

I agree with the others - give it a go. If you can't climb the hill get off and walk. If you can't complete the ride bail and hitch a ride back. As a rule I'd say it's better to try and fail than not try.
Old 09-06-12, 04:48 PM
lenny866

Location: Foothills of the beautiful Adirondack Mountains, NY
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The most important part is the "engine"
And the most most important part of the engine is the "heart" !! You need to have the heart to do it!

Go for it and good luck!!
Old 09-07-12, 10:42 AM
Jaye
Long Haul Truckin'

Bikes: Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
#1 you'll never know til you try. #2 The nice thing about an unknown hill (provided it's a steady one) is that worst case scenario is you decide it's too much, turn around, and roll back the other way. Granted this works better if that hill starts 10 miles into the ride than if it starts 40 miles in.
Old 09-08-12, 07:01 AM
youcoming

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Normally I would be in the go for it camp but if you want to do really well in the tri it might not be the best idea. If you over extend yourself you may not be able to recover fully. If you recover fast go for it.