Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Who wants to warn me not to waste my money?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Who wants to warn me not to waste my money?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-15, 04:28 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roody
I will sell you a set of these for only $75. Guaranteed to both protect your ears from dangerous wind gusts and allow you to hear the approach of life-threatening risk!

$75?!?!?!?

You must be trying to talk me into getting the top of the line cat-ears for only $18
Old 07-12-15, 04:28 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
I've noticed when I ride with my head turned to the side that everything gets a lot quieter. But it's probably better to usually face forward

Maybe this would improve safety? Who has tried these?

Wind Noise
Go ahead and waste your money on a gimmick which will do absolutely nothing to improve cycling safety.
Old 07-12-15, 04:34 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Go ahead and waste your money on a gimmick which will do absolutely nothing to improve cycling safety.
Do you even realize how worthless a comment like that is coming from somebody that has not tried it? I created the thread to hear from people that have tried the product so I could hear what their experience has been like.
Old 07-12-15, 04:45 PM
geehue

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, Rescued early 1990s Frankenbike (Univega frame; mix of found Centaur and Daytona parts); mid-1990s Casati, Linus Gaston

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In all seriousness, I have never tried it, so I can't comment. But I've never found wind noise to be a problem, either.
Old 07-12-15, 04:49 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by geehue
In all seriousness, I have never tried it, so I can't comment. But I've never found wind noise to be a problem, either.
Pedal harder
Old 07-12-15, 04:54 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Do you even realize how worthless a comment like that is coming from somebody that has not tried it? I created the thread to hear from people that have tried the product so I could hear what their experience has been like.
You asked for other posters to warn you about wasting your money!

Apparently you changed your mind and choose to insult posters who are giving you the warning that you requested.
Old 07-12-15, 04:59 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
You asked for other posters to warn you about wasting your money!

Apparently you changed your mind and choose to insult posters who are giving you the warning that you requested.
I asked for comments. That doesn't mean I just want an opinion with no associated rational. But point taken anyway. You're right. No need to respond.
Old 07-12-15, 05:00 PM
geehue

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, Rescued early 1990s Frankenbike (Univega frame; mix of found Centaur and Daytona parts); mid-1990s Casati, Linus Gaston

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pedal harder
What, without ear protection? Are you crazy? That would be dangerous.
Old 07-12-15, 10:01 PM
ro-monster

Bikes: Pacific Reach, Strida

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Motorcyclists often wear earplugs, the kind that are sold for a couple of dollars in any drugstore, while riding. Even inside a full-face helmet, wind noise can be deafening on a motorcycle. The earplugs mitigate that, but still let you hear your surroundings to a sufficient extent. You could try some of those to see what it's like. In California there's a specific provision in the law allowing them to be worn for this purpose, but they could be illegal in some places, so you'd have to check up on that.

Personally I can't ride fast enough on my bicycle for wind noise to become a problem, though.
Old 07-13-15, 06:32 AM
davidmcowan
Live Deliberately.

Bikes: CETMA Cargo, Surly Big Dummy, Surly Straggler, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Walter S., I've known several people with these. I asked them about the cat ears and after their responses I was interested in getting some too. (thought I never pulled the trigger) It does reduce wind noise. The part that I thought was useful was when riding in a pack (which, believe it or not, transportational cyclists also can find themselves riding for recreation too!) they said with wind noise reduced it was easier to partake in conversation. As someone else mentioned, if this doesn't break the bank you should give it a shot.

Old 07-13-15, 06:52 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I asked for comments. That doesn't mean I just want an opinion with no associated rational. But point taken anyway. You're right. No need to respond.
It sounds like wind isn't the only thing you're a little sensitive about this morning. If you don't want the answers, don't ask the question.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 07-13-15 at 07:11 AM.
Old 07-13-15, 07:23 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
I can ride my bike in a pair of jeans and be uncomfortable, or I can wear the appropriate attire for my rides and be comfortable. It is my choice. I have done both, and choose to spend the extra to make myself comfortable. There is no myth. You can ride on whatever in whatever attire you want. You may have even seen me out in Lansing riding my bike. I won't be the guy in jeans.
I'm not saying you do care (or should care), but what kind of reaction to bike shorts do you get in Lansing? Or do you mostly stay in the suburbs?

My personal preference is to wear bike shorts on very long rides--what I would classify as recreational rides or exercise rides. For transportation riding around town, I wear what I'm wearing. I definitely want to be able to jump on my bike and ride out without changing clothes or making any other special preparations. Bike riding is fantasmorgasmic, but it isn't "special". It's just part of my ordinary everyday activities. I hope you won't hold that against me if we happen to meet on the mean streets of Lansing.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-13-15, 08:54 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
I ride in the winter, mostly two days a week. In the cold weather I wear head covers (balaklava?). They reduce the wind noise in my ears and make it easier to hear some things. The background of the wind noise in the summer makes it hard to hear some words from another cyclist. I'm sure the ear covers reducer wind noise. Some think it's helpful, some don't, and some don't care. I'm sure they help, but in the warm weather I prefer not to have anything covering my ears, and I don't think about it, until winter and the first ride with my ears covered.

I don't see anything wrong with the claims of hearing better without wind noise. I've experienced it for a few decades.
Old 07-13-15, 08:54 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
I'm not saying you do care (or should care), but what kind of reaction to bike shorts do you get in Lansing? Or do you mostly stay in the suburbs?

My personal preference is to wear bike shorts on very long rides--what I would classify as recreational rides or exercise rides. For transportation riding around town, I wear what I'm wearing. I definitely want to be able to jump on my bike and ride out without changing clothes or making any other special preparations. Bike riding is fantasmorgasmic, but it isn't "special". It's just part of my ordinary everyday activities. I hope you won't hold that against me if we happen to meet on the mean streets of Lansing.
My commute is 8.5 miles and regular clothes just don't cut it when I am doing 28 mph down the main drag. I have always been a believer in you use the right gear for the job, no matter what it is. That means you don't use a butter knife to screw in a light switch face plate, you don't use a Honda Civic to tow a trailer, you don't run a marathon in a business suit....you get the point.
Old 07-13-15, 09:34 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

My commute is 8.5 miles and regular clothes just don't cut it when I am doing 28 mph down the main drag. I have always been a believer in you use the right gear for the job, no matter what it is. That means you don't use a butter knife to screw in a light switch face plate, you don't use a Honda Civic to tow a trailer, you don't run a marathon in a business suit....you get the point.
If you're doing 28 mph on a daily work commute, you will need different gear than the average or typical transportation cyclist. I suppose you're over in France at the moment? Good luck on the next stage!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-13-15, 09:59 AM
TenSpeedV2

If you're doing 28 mph on a daily work commute, you will need different gear than the average or typical transportation cyclist. I suppose you're over in France at the moment? Good luck on the next stage!
I don't tool around town on a heavy bike with racks, fenders, baskets, etc. I ride for fun, but I also ride for exercise. I am not in France, nor will I ever be on the tour.
Old 07-13-15, 10:31 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

I am not in France, nor will I ever be on the tour.
You should be. At 28 mph cruising on flat terrain, you are on the high end for professional cyclists.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-13-15, 10:35 AM
TenSpeedV2

You should be. At 28 mph cruising on flat terrain, you are on the high end for professional cyclists.
I can see that this is simply not going anywhere. If I was cruising the entire time at 28mph, yes, I could be in the Tour. That is not the case, as we all know. I hit 28mph in certain spots. I do not ride the entire 8.5 miles at that speed. Apparently if you do not spell it out, assumptions are made. Next time I will try to dumb it down so that you can understand.
Old 07-13-15, 10:41 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I got Wind Blox a while back. Can't say whether they do any good at all. Certainly not enough to make a noticeable difference.
Old 07-13-15, 11:46 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

I can see that this is simply not going anywhere. If I was cruising the entire time at 28mph, yes, I could be in the Tour. That is not the case, as we all know. I hit 28mph in certain spots. I do not ride the entire 8.5 miles at that speed. Apparently if you do not spell it out, assumptions are made. Next time I will try to dumb it down so that you can understand.
Oh, you said you needed special clothes because you were doing 28 mph on the main drag. I guess you just meant a couple short portions of the main drag. Thanks for explaining it for us dummies. I will be sure to get out of your way if i see you on the streets of Lansing. Where do you usually ride?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-13-15, 12:17 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Oh, you said you needed special clothes because you were doing 28 mph on the main drag. I guess you just meant a couple short portions of the main drag. Thanks for explaining it for us dummies. I will be sure to get out of your way if i see you on the streets of Lansing. Where do you usually ride?
I can't find any constructive purpose to your remarks. OP asked what I consider a perfectly valid question. He got some pretty helpful replies. And a lot of just plain nonsense. What's the point of the nonsense? Are you trying to drive people away from this forum? I come here, occasionally, because the subject of car-free living actually interests me. Sadly a lot of the posts here are basically people poking at each other with sticks. This does not really interest me, and there are plenty of alternatives.
@Walter S, please alert me if you retry this thread in another subforum, I'll follow it.
Old 07-13-15, 12:34 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by rhm
I can't find any constructive purpose to your remarks. OP asked what I consider a perfectly valid question. He got some pretty helpful replies. And a lot of just plain nonsense. What's the point of the nonsense? Are you trying to drive people away from this forum? I come here, occasionally, because the subject of car-free living actually interests me. Sadly a lot of the posts here are basically people poking at each other with sticks. This does not really interest me, and there are plenty of alternatives.
@Walter S, please alert me if you retry this thread in another subforum, I'll follow it.
I was just answering the OP's question. He seemed aware that he was wasting his money if he bought this product. I actually had no idea that anybody could take seriously the idea of putting a sock on your ear in order to ride a bike. Or the notion of somebody "doing 28 mph on the main drag." Now that I know these are both serious ideas in your mind, I will give them the respect they deserve.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-13-15, 12:41 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ro-monster
Motorcyclists often wear earplugs, the kind that are sold for a couple of dollars in any drugstore, while riding. Even inside a full-face helmet, wind noise can be deafening on a motorcycle. The earplugs mitigate that, but still let you hear your surroundings to a sufficient extent. You could try some of those to see what it's like. In California there's a specific provision in the law allowing them to be worn for this purpose, but they could be illegal in some places, so you'd have to check up on that.

Personally I can't ride fast enough on my bicycle for wind noise to become a problem, though.
,,,,,,, Yea u right ,,,,, Monster
Old 07-13-15, 01:18 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Well okay, @Roody, I'll tell it to you straight. When I ride with other people, wind noise prevents me from understanding most of what they say. Wind noise seriously diminishes what I can hear of birds, cicadas, peepers, and other sounds of nature; as well as potential dangers like cars. Wind noise is a real issue for some of us. This is not up for debate.

If I hold my hand up beside my ear, palm forward, that noise stops. It's not blocking out sound (like ear plugs) and not creating white noise (like an iPod). It's just changing the air flow around my ear. I can't ride like this, but clearly a product like Cat Ears has the potential to help.

The question is whether Cat Ears (or Wind Blox) are a viable solution or a waste of money. And I don't know. My experience with Wind Blox has not been encouraging.
Old 07-13-15, 02:33 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by davidmcowan
Walter S., I've known several people with these. I asked them about the cat ears and after their responses I was interested in getting some too. (thought I never pulled the trigger) It does reduce wind noise. The part that I thought was useful was when riding in a pack (which, believe it or not, transportational cyclists also can find themselves riding for recreation too!) they said with wind noise reduced it was easier to partake in conversation. As someone else mentioned, if this doesn't break the bank you should give it a shot.
Thanks for that first-hand take on it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.