Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bottom Bracket recommendations for Middleburn Cranks

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-21, 05:33 PM
bikeinxs

Bikes: Ibis Cousin It converted to a drop bar dirt road cruiser, True North Ti Tandem, garage full of half bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

We are running Middleburn cranks on our tandem. I had originally purchased Ultegra bottom brackets but they outside diameter of the BB is too small and it doesn't sit right with the crankset. The only Shimano BB's that seem to work are the Tiagra/Sora level (RS500). At 10,000 km and two years the rear BB failed. They are cheap, so if I have to replace them every couple of years it's not a big deal but I am very curious to know if there are any higher quality BB's available that work with Middleburn.
Old 05-16-21, 06:25 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 271 Posts
I believe Phil Wood, Chris King and possibly White Industries will have higher quality BBs. I snapped pedal axles and BB spindles allot when I was younger. I left Fort Ord for a ride one morning and snapped a BB spindle standing on the pedals. An old man by the name of Spence Wolf directed me to his shop. He suggested a Phil Wood BB. in later years I bent the front BB spindle on my tandem and used an arbor press to push the spindle out of the eccentric. I Put a Phil Wood hardened SS one in its place. It didn't even bend when I stood on the pedals with me and the wife pulling the three children in the cart like the cheap burley one did. Phil Wood has some bearing options. I would special request the alternator bearing option. It is allot tuffer.
Old 05-18-21, 08:33 AM
akexpress 

Bikes: 2015 Calfee Tetra tandem,2016 Calfee Tetra Adventure Tandem, Ventana ECDM 26 mtn tandem, Ventana ECDM 29r full suspension Mtn tandem ,Ventana Fat tire tandem, Calfee Dragon Fly, Santa Cruz Carbon 5010, 907 Whiteout fat tire

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeinxs
We are running Middleburn cranks on our tandem. I had originally purchased Ultegra bottom brackets but they outside diameter of the BB is too small and it doesn't sit right with the crankset. The only Shimano BB's that seem to work are the Tiagra/Sora level (RS500). At 10,000 km and two years the rear BB failed. They are cheap, so if I have to replace them every couple of years it's not a big deal but I am very curious to know if there are any higher quality BB's available that work with Middleburn.
We are using Chris King BB on our Calfee Adventure tandem with middle burn cranks without issues.