Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hydraulic disc brake tool recommendations.

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-15-22, 02:57 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts

I just jumpd into the world of hydraulic disc brakes. This morning I took possession of a barely ridden 2021 TREK Marlin 5 as partial payment on a truck I had, love the frame and color but the rest of it leaves something to be desired so it's getting a makeover. I'm going to move the Tektro M375 hydraulic discs from it to a hybrid project and replace them with a set of Deore M6120 4 piston brakes. Will I need any tools that are specific to either brake sytem for bleeding them or should the same tools work for both systems and what tools in general do you recommend? I may also have to shorten the hoses on one or both systems. I'm not new to brake bleeding, done numerous cars and trucks and a couple motorcycles over the years just never a bicycle.
Old 05-15-22, 03:03 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Bleed kit for your specific brakes. Hose cutting tool. Whatever other 'normal' tools you need to work on your new brakes. 4 & 5mm allens, pokey tool to get the clamp open. Pad spreader.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 05-15-22, 03:33 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
TPK brakes use a little larger diameter tube than the Shimano does. So plan for that. Also I hate bleeding TPK brakes as I haven't yet figured a way to do it without having fluid all over the place. This is the kit I purchased to work with my Shimano brakes and it includes a great cutting and olive setting tool. Worth every penny. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0986R3XWX...roduct_details. For the TPK brakes I purchased their basic bleed kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088PQVXYH...roduct_details and for the Shimano brakes I use this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Good luck
Likes For DowneasTTer:
Old 05-15-22, 07:25 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
What are 'TPK' brakes?
Old 05-15-22, 09:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
If you want a good tool for pretty much every Mineral oil brakes Park Tool has you covered: https://www.parktool.com/product/hyd...-mineral-bkm-1

I wouldn't give any more money to Bezos he is already the world's richest man. I have a feeling TTer was talking about TRP but anyway the above kit will solve all mineral oil brakes or at least all the major brands you are likely to deal with.

They also do some nice stuff with their barb tool but that one is maybe more than you might need for most things. You might also want something to true rotors with if you feel comfortable with that.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-15-22, 11:08 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 235 Posts
If you want a universal mineral oil bleed kit, I really strongly prefer the Jagwire one: https://jagwire.com/products/tools/p...-oil-bleed-kit . I had a pretty much nearly new Park DOT kit explode in my face due to poor fitment of the hose to the syringe. Jag kit has been dependable and is really quite well thought out.
Likes For cpach:
Old 05-16-22, 10:42 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
If you want a universal mineral oil bleed kit, I really strongly prefer the Jagwire one: https://jagwire.com/products/tools/p...-oil-bleed-kit . I had a pretty much nearly new Park DOT kit explode in my face due to poor fitment of the hose to the syringe. Jag kit has been dependable and is really quite well thought out.
Reach out to Park Tool on that and let them know what happened, they should be able to warranty the tool. It was probably just a defect that could have happened with any tool.

The Jagwire pro kit is a good kit as well, Jagwire is pretty much all I use for cables and housing these days as I think their kits are the best. However I would give the Park kit another try after you get it taken care of with them.