Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Selling the car - taking the plunge into car-lite

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Old 06-20-15, 08:41 PM
wsgts

Bikes: 2018 Specialized AWOL, 2013 Surly Pacer, 2011 Raleigh One-Way, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 2020 Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts

We are finally doing it, my 2013 Ford C-max Energi is now for sale. My wife and I arrived at this decision after we found it had a flat (nail in the front tire) and we don't know how long it has been completely flat. This, of course, is insanity paying for a car, insurance, etc that no one is using since I'm usually on the bike everywhere I go. We will still have a car for my wife and I to share (2013 Ford Fusion Energi), but no need for two.

T
Old 06-21-15, 07:48 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Any big plans for the money you will save?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 06-21-15, 08:40 AM
Drv1913
Lazy vegan bicyclist

Bikes: Huffy Innsbruck (with the decals removed)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations!
Old 06-21-15, 09:30 AM
molten

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this thread about "selling" :

(a) to permanently end motor-vehicle driving. Converting commuting into (1) cycling (2) public transit (3) car-pooling ONLY.
(b) to only sell the presently owned car, until a replacement of such be purchased.

Last edited by molten; 06-21-15 at 09:33 AM. Reason: "thread"
Old 06-21-15, 10:58 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by molten
Is this thread about "selling" :

(a) to permanently end motor-vehicle driving. Converting commuting into (1) cycling (2) public transit (3) car-pooling ONLY.
(b) to only sell the presently owned car, until a replacement of such be purchased.
Huh? I think it is clear the OP is becoming car light. They will still own a car. Clearly reducing not ending motor-vehicle driving. How do you not find that same meaning here?
Old 06-21-15, 10:59 AM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congratulations on simplifying your life! A car that just sits is doing nothing but costing you money. Good move.
Old 06-21-15, 03:53 PM
wsgts

Bikes: 2018 Specialized AWOL, 2013 Surly Pacer, 2011 Raleigh One-Way, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 2020 Surly Big Dummy

Originally Posted by Walter S
Huh? I think it is clear the OP is becoming car light. They will still own a car. Clearly reducing not ending motor-vehicle driving. How do you not find that same meaning here?
You are correct, we are selling one of the cars. It's become obvious it isn't needed or wanted..

T
Old 06-21-15, 03:55 PM
wsgts

Originally Posted by Roody
Any big plans for the money you will save?
My oldest is going to college!! That helped the decision. Plus, I need to ride, the medication I need while commuting is about $200 less a month (just copays) while commuting by bicycle.

T
Old 06-21-15, 04:01 PM
wsgts

So, the funniest thing has happened. When I tell people what I'm doing, they want to argue about it, like I asked their opinion. "You'll need a car", "What about bad weather", "It's hot/cold/humid outside", "Dangerous". It's like everyone is so convinced that you must have 1 car per licensed driver. Keep in mind, in this part of the United States it is not very common to have someone who is the boss at a company ride in on a bicycle (been doing it for two years though).

T
Old 06-22-15, 07:18 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by wsgts
So, the funniest thing has happened. When I tell people what I'm doing, they want to argue about it, like I asked their opinion. "You'll need a car", "What about bad weather", "It's hot/cold/humid outside", "Dangerous". It's like everyone is so convinced that you must have 1 car per licensed driver. Keep in mind, in this part of the United States it is not very common to have someone who is the boss at a company ride in on a bicycle (been doing it for two years though).

T
Just chuckle to yourself and remember they will not be convinced until they see your success. If you're the boss, I wouldn't be surprised if some of them end up imitating you.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 06-22-15, 09:43 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
My oldest is going to college!! That helped the decision. Plus, I need to ride, the medication I need while commuting is about $200 less a month (just copays) while commuting by bicycle.

T
Curious, what kind of ailments no longer need medication, due to commuting by bike?
Old 06-22-15, 09:48 AM
wsgts

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Curious, what kind of ailments no longer need medication, due to commuting by bike?
That would be T2 Diabetes. Before biking to work, I was on an insulin pump, and 6+ different oral medications. With using the bike as transportation, I take 3 prescriptions and they are the cheaper one lowering my out of pocket by $200 bucks a month. Now it's like $40 a month for my copays.

T
Old 06-22-15, 11:12 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

That would be T2 Diabetes. Before biking to work, I was on an insulin pump, and 6+ different oral medications. With using the bike as transportation, I take 3 prescriptions and they are the cheaper one lowering my out of pocket by $200 bucks a month. Now it's like $40 a month for my copays.

T
Good going! I was diagnosed with diabetes 20 years ago. It kept getting worse until I finally started daily exercise (mostly walking, then riding the bike). My blood sugar levels went down to normal levels, and stayed there until a few months ago. Now I have to take one oral medicine, which is actually free at a local discount store and my blood sugars are going down again. But regular exercise and moderation in diet kept me off the meds for 20 years! Most of that exercise consisted of commuting and running errands on the bike and on foot.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 06-22-15, 12:56 PM
davidmcowan
Live Deliberately.

Bikes: CETMA Cargo, Surly Big Dummy, Surly Straggler, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We've gone car light too, most people want to convince us why we'll need a second car, it is annoying at first but after you get used to it you just roll with the punches or come up with a couple of witty responses.
Old 06-22-15, 03:37 PM
Mr Flibble

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We did it last year (two cars down to earth one). Best decision ever. I cycle 10 miles to my work, my wife uses the car to commute 16 miles to hers. Halved our overall motoring bill, I've become so much fitter and my club racing has benefitted too. Previously with two cars, all too often I'd bail out on the commute (bike) if there was rain/wind etc but now with no alternative I just get on with it.

The bike is the easiest route to saving money and keeping fit....
Old 06-22-15, 03:56 PM
TheManShow
Banned

Bikes: Old rusty bucket of bolts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is a number I came up with in 1996 the last year I was a small business owner. It cost me $0.45/mile to operate a vechicle. My work car was a ford mustang, 4 cylinder, 5 speed, that most people would call stripped.

The number above cover all cost, from purchuse to trading off at 150K For me that was 14-16 months. O(f that 150, about 85% was work related.

Cars are very expensive to own, or lease and operate.
Old 06-22-15, 07:03 PM
wsgts

Originally Posted by TheManShow
Most people talk about expensive and think money. You can make more money, but your health is more important and is often sacrificed to drive everywhere. Thus, for me the true cost of usage of the automobile.
Old 06-22-15, 07:10 PM
TheManShow
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Most people talk about expensive and think money. You can make more money, but your health is more important and is often sacrificed to drive everywhere. Thus, for me the true cost of usage of the automobile.

Well as my chosen career caused me to travel Northern California, Northen Neveda, Oregon, Washington, and one in a while down south to Southern California. Plus I needed to transport 50-75 pound of equiptment fast, a bicycle was not practicale for me.

My point above was how expensive it is to own & operate an automobile. Not like my friend who talks only about the cost of gas to drive 120 miles round trip, the true cost is all your expense of operation.

Then and only than you understand true cost per mile.
Old 08-16-15, 06:41 PM
wsgts

Finally got the car sold!! It's gone, I'm happy. Now we have a single car in the family!
Old 08-16-15, 08:28 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Finally got the car sold!! It's gone, I'm happy. Now we have a single car in the family!
Congratulations and good health and happiness to you.
Old 08-16-15, 09:24 PM
bluegoatwoods

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roody
...................they will not be convinced until they see your success........... .
Sorry to be a wet blanket.......but........no...........they'll never, never be convinced. There are all sorts of people in my neighborhood and at work who've watched me bicycle all around for close to 30 years now. Though not all have been observing me that long. But some have. They can see that I enjoy it (I guess they chalk that up to my being abnormal.) And they can see that it's been very beneficial to my health. They can see it. They know it's true. Yet not a single one has followed in my footsteps.

This includes my wife. Who would benefit greatly as far as Type 2 diabetes is concerned, just like the OP. but she won't do it. She 'doesn't like it'. Just like all of my neighbors and co-workers.

But anyway....we went down to one car about eight years ago. And I'm happy as a clam. We could manage zero cars, really. If only my wife would ride a bike. But one car is better than two, anyway.

So congrats, wsgts! You won't be sorry.
Old 08-16-15, 10:08 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Here is a number I came up with in 1996 the last year I was a small business owner. It cost me $0.45/mile to operate a vechicle. My work car was a ford mustang, 4 cylinder, 5 speed, that most people would call stripped.

The number above cover all cost, from purchuse to trading off at 150K For me that was 14-16 months. O(f that 150, about 85% was work related.

You spent approx. $67,500 on depreciation and operating costs on a stripped 4cyl, stick shift car in just 14-16 months and 150K miles? Can you provide a synopsis of the major expenses that added up to that number you came up with?
Old 08-17-15, 05:40 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
You spent approx. $67,500 on depreciation and operating costs on a stripped 4cyl, stick shift car in just 14-16 months and 150K miles? Can you provide a synopsis of the major expenses that added up to that number you came up with?
For that matter, I have trouble with 10k/month. My sister owns a small rural package delivery company. They don't drive that much. Those are professional driving numbers. About all a person putting down those miles has time to do is drive.
Old 08-17-15, 09:23 AM
TheManShow
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cost of vehicle. value of vehicle at trade, 5 set of tires, oil, change ever 3K, clutch job, car washes weekly, insurance at commercial rate, parking fees, bridge tolls, brake job (2), gas, oil, etc.

The big killer was a one year old car with excessive mileage is worth nothing.

I only keep tax records 7 years, but back than the IRS let you take actual expenses, or I think it was 21 or 23 cents a mile. The real cost I calulated at 45 cents.

BTW my Ex work in a big CPA firm she was real good with numbers.
Old 08-17-15, 09:35 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

The big killer was a one year old car with excessive mileage is worth nothing.
Hard to believe.

A stripped Ford Mustang probably cost at most $20,000, new. One year old car, even with high mileage, would be worth thousands, unless you wrecked it.

Five sets of tires? You must have been buying the cheapest ones, or have a lead foot.

The other expenses do not compute to $67,500 in such a short time, unless you were driving 10k miles a month in and out of Manhattan and parking in commercial lots while making numerous stops in NYC or SF everyday. Of course it would seem difficult to find the time to park anywhere driving that much.

Bottom line, how could you have conducted this commercial business without a motor vehicle? And at a lower cost?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.