Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Who wants to warn me not to waste my money?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-15, 04:11 PM
Walter S

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1015 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've noticed when I ride with my head turned to the side that everything gets a lot quieter. But it's probably better to usually face forward

Maybe this would improve safety? Who has tried these?

Wind Noise
Old 07-11-15, 04:42 PM
geehue

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, Rescued early 1990s Frankenbike (Univega frame; mix of found Centaur and Daytona parts); mid-1990s Casati, Linus Gaston

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Finally! I've been having trouble steering with my fingers in my ears.
Old 07-11-15, 04:58 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
I've noticed when I ride with my head turned to the side that everything gets a lot quieter. But it's probably better to usually face forward

Wind Noise
Audiobooks or music with headphones; what noise?
Old 07-11-15, 05:36 PM
eofelis 
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
A friend of mine uses these and seems to like them. She just did coast-to-coast Southern Tier (supported) with them on her helmet.
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR
Old 07-11-15, 06:25 PM
Bikeforumuser0019
Time to Fly!

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts

Wind Noise
I've never tried them, and I don't know if it would increase your safety in terms of the physical hazards of sharing road space with vehicles.

However here's what I do know:

(FTA) "...noise heard by a person looking directly into the wind is basically of a low frequency nature,
with much of its energy concentrated in a certain frequency region."

The sound sensitive parts of your hearing are organs, and they have a certain amount of work they can do (let's call it useful lifespan). And any time you are exposing your hearing to a specific frequency, or localized frequency cluster repeatedly over time you're using up the useful lifespan of that organ's sensitivity much faster.

I question the specific science of the article a little, however the general principle is that of Signal (sound of an approaching vehicle) v. noise (wind aka quasi-random/focused frequencies and moderately high sound pressure levels). The more you can reduce the "noise" the more signal you will hear.

If this product doesn't put a huge dent in your wallet that you needed for food or something, I say protect your hearing because it is all you will ever get. Once your sensitivity to that low to mid frequency range is damaged or gone, it's gone and you can't get it back. That's why people in their 50s start saying "What?" a lot when people ask them questions at the grocer or library you know, even though 50-something is not very old.

PS this cat ear is essentially the same idea behind a wind sock, which are used when news reporters or filmmakers need to work in outdoor conditions (as below).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
wind sock.jpg (13.6 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Bikeforumuser0019; 07-11-15 at 06:33 PM. Reason: edited to show wind sock
Old 07-11-15, 07:00 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
They look like stage makeup sideburns to me, I don't think I could pull them off. Maybe when the blond version is released.
Old 07-12-15, 05:19 AM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by College3.0
I've never tried them, and I don't know if it would increase your safety in terms of the physical hazards of sharing road space with vehicles.

However here's what I do know:

(FTA) "...noise heard by a person looking directly into the wind is basically of a low frequency nature,
with much of its energy concentrated in a certain frequency region."

The sound sensitive parts of your hearing are organs, and they have a certain amount of work they can do (let's call it useful lifespan). And any time you are exposing your hearing to a specific frequency, or localized frequency cluster repeatedly over time you're using up the useful lifespan of that organ's sensitivity much faster.

I question the specific science of the article a little, however the general principle is that of Signal (sound of an approaching vehicle) v. noise (wind aka quasi-random/focused frequencies and moderately high sound pressure levels). The more you can reduce the "noise" the more signal you will hear.

If this product doesn't put a huge dent in your wallet that you needed for food or something, I say protect your hearing because it is all you will ever get. Once your sensitivity to that low to mid frequency range is damaged or gone, it's gone and you can't get it back. That's why people in their 50s start saying "What?" a lot when people ask them questions at the grocer or library you know, even though 50-something is not very old.

PS this cat ear is essentially the same idea behind a wind sock, which are used when news reporters or filmmakers need to work in outdoor conditions (as below).
What is that a picture of? As far as I know a windsock is a device that indicates wind direction. Not for hearing protection.
Old 07-12-15, 06:55 AM
Bikeforumuser0019
Time to Fly!

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
What is that a picture of? As far as I know a windsock is a device that indicates wind direction. Not for hearing protection.

You might be thinking of a weather vane, which would indicate wind direction (edit: yes, I get what you mean now.... sometimes a weather vane is a wind sock... a different thing with the same name). A microphone Wind sock is an accessory for sound recording, which works on the exact same principle as the Cat Ears. The photo I posted probably wasn't very clear, try this:
Windsocks

It slips over the microphone, but in no way does it reduce the decibels of sound that reaches the microphone; it just baffles (or dissipates) undesirable noise like wind so that desirable noise (like a newscaster speaking) gets recorded better.

All this to say, the Cat Ears probably do work because this technology/science is not new... it's been used for decades in the sound recording industry. If I had the cash lying around, I'd love to try something like this; and if you decide to try them I'd be very interested in your experience with them.

Last edited by Bikeforumuser0019; 07-12-15 at 06:57 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 07-12-15, 07:29 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
This makes one more piece of essential and expensive equipment that everybody must wear--because riding a bike is so bloody uncomfortable and dangerous.

For other wastes of money (for transportation bicyclists), I nominate::
  1. padded short pants
  2. $400 special shoes
  3. $500 pedals that snap into the special shoes

Any other candidates for money wasters?

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-12-15, 09:50 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Padded shorts are not a waste of money, and I don't think that these would be either. Wind noise annoys the hell out of me when I am riding and ruins the enjoyment of the ride. Maybe I need HTFU or maybe I will try a set of these and see if they work.
Old 07-12-15, 09:51 AM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roody
This makes one more piece of essential and expensive equipment that everybody must wear--because riding a bike is so bloody uncomfortable and dangerous.

1. padded short pants
  2. $400 special shoes

It IS dangerous. As is driving a car. While that won't keep me from doing either, it will make me pay attention to potential safety improvements.

I was looking for somebody to say they tried it and it does not work - or is real uncomfortable - or hard to put on - or comes off while riding.

It doesn't sound like you tried this product, so I'm not sure you have much of value to offer.
Old 07-12-15, 10:36 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

It IS dangerous. As is driving a car. While that won't keep me from doing either, it will make me pay attention to potential safety improvements.
What IS dangerous to cyclists - wind noise? Be real. The product in the OP reference is a "solution" only to a safety "problem" that they fabricated to promote their "solution". Price is irrelevant to the non-existent risk reduction offered by this product.
Old 07-12-15, 10:43 AM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What IS dangerous to cyclists - wind noise? Be real. The product in the OP reference is a "solution" only to a safety "problem" that they fabricated to promote their "solution". Price is irrelevant to the non-existent risk reduction offered by this product.
I find my hearing to be among my most important senses from a safety standpoint. Under some conditions I often notice a risk by hearing it before I see it. So it just follows that hearing better would enhance that effect.
Old 07-12-15, 11:02 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

I find my hearing to be among my most important senses from a safety standpoint. Under some conditions I often notice a risk by hearing it before I see it. So it just follows that hearing better would enhance that effect.
Even given your situation where hearing something may reduce your bicycling risk", it does not follow that generalized "wind noise" attenuation would enable you to improve your hearing of any specific hazardous warnings. The OP article's references to fatality stats are totally irrelevant fear mongering with zero relationship to the product being promoted.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 07-12-15 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-12-15, 11:11 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
Padded shorts are not a waste of money, and I don't think that these would be either. Wind noise annoys the hell out of me when I am riding and ruins the enjoyment of the ride. Maybe I need HTFU or maybe I will try a set of these and see if they work.
It's the great marketing myth that riding a bike is uncomfortable and very dangerous, and you must inves hundreds of dollars to enjoy the "sport." Unfortunately, this turns people away from cycling, as they think it takes some kind of special knowledge and effort to partake.

Maybe expensive gear and special skills are needed for long distance touring or "sport" cycling--but for everyday transportation bicycling--the type discussed on this forum--just get your butt on the bike and go.

As for this hearing protection thing--I would have taken it for an Onion article if I ran across it on the web. For thousands of years, people have been outside in the wind, but it is only now "discovered" what a great risk this is to their very lives!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-12-15, 11:16 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

I will sell you a set of these for only $75. Guaranteed to both protect your ears from dangerous wind gusts and allow you to hear the approach of life-threatening risk!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-12-15, 12:04 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

I will sell you a set of these for only $75. Guaranteed to both protect your ears from dangerous wind gusts and allow you to hear the approach of life-threatening risk!

Would be even better if the band was drilled out titanium and the "noise" attenuating material came exclusively from free range Portuguese Merino Sheep. Price being no object to a Serious Cyclist™.
Old 07-12-15, 12:14 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Here's somebody who could definitely use some ear protection on his next bike ride.

Attached Images

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 07-12-15, 12:21 PM
geehue

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, Rescued early 1990s Frankenbike (Univega frame; mix of found Centaur and Daytona parts); mid-1990s Casati, Linus Gaston

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Do they come in different colours so I can match my bar tape?
Old 07-12-15, 12:35 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Originally Posted by geehue
Do they come in different colours so I can match my bar tape?
Yes, or with faux team sponsor logos.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Last edited by Roody; 07-12-15 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-12-15, 03:32 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's the great marketing myth that riding a bike is uncomfortable and very dangerous, and you must inves hundreds of dollars to enjoy the "sport." Unfortunately, this turns people away from cycling, as they think it takes some kind of special knowledge and effort to partake.

Maybe expensive gear and special skills are needed for long distance touring or "sport" cycling--but for everyday transportation bicycling--the type discussed on this forum--just get your butt on the bike and go.

As for this hearing protection thing--I would have taken it for an Onion article if I ran across it on the web. For thousands of years, people have been outside in the wind, but it is only now "discovered" what a great risk this is to their very lives!
I occasionally take interest in products that might improve my safety or enjoyment riding. I don't do that because the bicycle is "uncomfortable" or "very dangerous". I do it because I spend at least a few hours a day riding. There's no reason for me to close my eyes to things that might make a noticable difference in the quality of my experience. That's why I have a handlebar bag. I rode thousands of miles without one and was just fine. But it improves my enjoyment.

edit: I also wear padded shorts - not because of any great marketing. An ass made that decision.

Last edited by Walter S; 07-12-15 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-12-15, 03:40 PM
TenSpeedV2

I can ride my bike in a pair of jeans and be uncomfortable, or I can wear the appropriate attire for my rides and be comfortable. It is my choice. I have done both, and choose to spend the extra to make myself comfortable. There is no myth. You can ride on whatever in whatever attire you want. You may have even seen me out in Lansing riding my bike. I won't be the guy in jeans.
Old 07-12-15, 03:42 PM
TenSpeedV2

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Would be even better if the band was drilled out titanium and the "noise" attenuating material came exclusively from free range Portuguese Merino Sheep. Price being no object to a Serious Cyclist™.
I am not sure if you are a professional troll or what.
Old 07-12-15, 03:53 PM
Walter S

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am not sure if you are a professional troll or what.
Semi-pro I think.
Old 07-12-15, 04:15 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts

1. padded short pants
  2. $400 special shoes

Let me add to your list of money wasters:

- cycling jerseys with those silly back pockets
- professional bike fitting

Last edited by wolfchild; 07-12-15 at 04:18 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.