Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Best flat/plataform pedals that holds up a heavy rider

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 05-17-21, 05:29 PM
Canacol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hello everyone new member here,

Since March I started to get ready to ride a bike again, it was a hard decision because I am 380lbs and never thought a bike could hold my heavy weight. Thanks to all of you I learned it was possible and with the help of an amazing LBS here in Ontario I was able to modify my 2009 Giant Cypress R and got a new custom rear wheel and new cassette in order to change from freewheel to freehub.

In the last couple of days I being riding very carefully my bike on paved and very well maintain gravel trails the bike is (thanks God) holding up very good.

Only part I believe is going to fail on me very soon are the pedals ( originals plastic ones) so I wondering if you guys can recommend me a good set of flat/plataform pedals that can hold my heavy weight, not sure if is important but my size is 11.5 but my feet are wide. Thanks in advance.

Ps.I am very grateful with all of you because I read all the threads of the last 5 pages of the clydesdale/Athenas forum and I learned A LOT like for example I got a pair of 6XL Aereo Tech design padded shorts and they fit amazing! But I did not find any information about pedals apologies If I missed the thread on this subject and was already being discussed.
​​​​
Old 05-17-21, 06:48 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
I don't know what or if pedals have weight ratings, really it's your leg muscles pushing on the pedals and not your weight. Those plastic pedals are garbage. Look for mountain bike flat pedals. I can't remember the brands or even the brand I have but I love the pedals.

They look like this and there's lots of different ones to look at....

Old 05-17-21, 08:29 PM
257 roberts

Bikes: 2008 Trek Police bike 2019 Jamis Coda Sport 2021 Surly Bridgeclub

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 304 Posts
I have Race Face Chesters....check them out
Old 05-17-21, 09:33 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Nearly all proper mountain bike flat pedals will be fine for you. Metal ones are spendy but I've been using a set of Crank Bros Stamp 1 composite pedals and fairly impressed with them. I'm weighing in at just over #300 and doing XC style mountain biking with jumps and small drops in the mix, so they'd be fine for your riding and are a lot cheaper than metal pedals
Likes For brawlo:
Old 05-18-21, 08:38 AM
Canacol

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you so much for all your kind response, the information on all the bike components is so overwhelming that I sometimes feel lost. Same goes with pedals, concave, flats, convex, composite, aluminum, magnesium, different number of pins, how many sealed bearings etc.

Really good to know composite pedals will hold my 380lbs weight, as I mention before my bike is hybrid and just doing easy rides on easy terrain. I will check all your recommendations and the availability on my LBS.

The priority for me is to find a pedal that have less chance to snap on me (and maybe hurt me )on a step hill where you need to apply a lot of pressure to the pedals.

Last edited by Canacol; 05-18-21 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-21-21, 12:25 PM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 336 Posts
I have Wellgo MG-1s on my Kona Sutra.

Blew out a pair of Kona Wah-Wah IIs within 200 miles - never again.
Likes For a_d_a_m:
Old 05-24-21, 12:08 AM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
I have had very good luck with Welgo platform pedals. I try to get as many studs as possible in my pedals for good shoe gripping ability. 8 to 10 studs per pedal side will be enough. I weigh in the 260lb area and have never had a Welgo break. I've used the Welgo models B124, B143, and the MG-1. All on the road with me today. Good luck.
Old 06-23-21, 05:58 AM
hydrocarbon

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
I don't mind a quality resin pedal, as they can be built plenty strong and hide scuffs way better than metal. The spindle is the weakest part anyway, so I'd focus on that; obviously avoid any titanium BS.

If you want to go fancy, Shimano has a really nice-looking and strong platform pedal with super-grippy pins in their Saint line.
Old 06-23-21, 06:05 AM
hydrocarbon

Mind you, any downhill pedal will do. Think of dynamic forces; any part that can handle a hard landing on big gap clearing without failure will be more than adequate for normal trail riding for any size of rider.
Old 06-24-21, 07:35 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Canacol
Hello everyone new member here,

Since March I started to get ready to ride a bike again, it was a hard decision because I am 380lbs and never thought a bike could hold my heavy weight. Thanks to all of you I learned it was possible and with the help of an amazing LBS here in Ontario I was able to modify my 2009 Giant Cypress R and got a new custom rear wheel and new cassette in order to change from freewheel to freehub.

In the last couple of days I being riding very carefully my bike on paved and very well maintain gravel trails the bike is (thanks God) holding up very good.

Only part I believe is going to fail on me very soon are the pedals ( originals plastic ones) so I wondering if you guys can recommend me a good set of flat/plataform pedals that can hold my heavy weight, not sure if is important but my size is 11.5 but my feet are wide. Thanks in advance.

Ps.I am very grateful with all of you because I read all the threads of the last 5 pages of the clydesdale/Athenas forum and I learned A LOT like for example I got a pair of 6XL Aereo Tech design padded shorts and they fit amazing! But I did not find any information about pedals apologies If I missed the thread on this subject and was already being discussed.
​​​​
I broke(within 3 months) two of the following pedals on the drive side :

Shimano Deore XT PD-M8140 Enduro / Trail Flat Pedal

https://www.bike24.com/p2324379.html...1868,1937,1938

So after destroying two supposed tough pedals, I decided to stop mucking around and bought these bad boys, where they claim the weight limit is 800lbs, and after 2 years, they are still going strong.

Speedplay Drillium Platform Pedals

https://www.bikebling.com/Speedplay-...y-drillium.htm

The Speedplay Drillium pedals are excellent and easily the best platform pedals I have ever used.

Likes For ColonelSanders:
Old 06-25-21, 05:57 AM
hydrocarbon

^ Ha, those look pretty solid!

I've bent all kinds of pedals (though never broken) but it's always from crashes and rock/curb impacts, never from just plain riding.
Likes For hydrocarbon:
Old 06-28-21, 02:06 PM
jiminos

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 3 Posts
I use Crank Brothers Mallets. Couldn’t be happier.
Old 06-28-21, 05:46 PM
wvridgerider

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Surly Karate Monkey, Specialized Fuze, Bianchi Volpe, too many others and a lot of broken frame

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts
Been on SLX pedals for quite a while, they are holding up well
Old 06-29-21, 07:21 PM
tdipail

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 14 Posts
I weigh 270 and thus always looking for better pedals. Maybe I had a dud crank arm but the larger pedals (like the big CB Stamps) seem to put a lot more stress on the crank arms and their threads. I only had one failure so its just a hunch tho

I am liking the Fooker pedals right now.
Old 07-02-21, 06:13 AM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
When I was ~360lb I was running the Pedaling Innovations Catalyst pedal and I swear by them. That said they are waaaaaaay more expensive now than when I got mine, so my next best alternative was the Crank Brother Stamp 2 Large pedals.

Most people say you can't feel a difference between a composite and a metal pedal but I actually replaced the composite Stamp pedal with a metal one and it felt waaaay stiffer. I'm at a weight now where I can get away with running a composite pedal, but I still prefer metal ones.
Old 07-09-21, 12:26 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Originally Posted by 257 roberts
I have Race Face Chesters....check them out
I have the Chesters also, nice low price platform pedal. I just haven't used them very much, they are for my winter bike.
Likes For cyclist2000:
Old 07-17-21, 04:34 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 47 Posts
Take a look at MKS Lambda pedals.