Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

If You Bought Your Bike on the Internet…

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-22, 08:11 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts

How did it work out? Was a a great fit or did you have to make lots of adjustments to make it work? OR, was it the worst decision ever?

NOT interested in responding saying< “I would never do that”. That is not the question.

Last edited by rsbob; 03-31-22 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-31-22, 08:23 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I bought my Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross online, and it was pretty much perfect. Mike Varley sent a detailed geometry diagram, including saddle position and stem length based on my measurements, which took almost all of the guesswork out it. I couldn't be happier.

Likes For Rolla:
Old 03-31-22, 08:26 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I don’t know if buying used counts, but I’ve bought a couple bikes and a few frames off eBay.

Obviously the frames probably don’t count, but the bikes fit fine with a few tweaks.

Keep in mind that someone who has experience with bike geometry makes it a lot easier than with someone who has little knowledge.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 03-31-22, 08:50 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
How did it work out?
I've bought three brand new "complete" bikes online over the years, direct from the brand/manufacturer. All ordered with the click of a button and all have worked out extremely well. 🙂

Was a a great fit or did you have to make lots of adjustments to make it work?
Yes - BUT - a lot of research and measuring was involved each time. With my latest purchase (from Canyon) the only thing I changed when receiving the bike was the saddle, as my rear end just didn't agree with the Fizik one. Some online retailers will let you customise the build or have an "online bike builder" tool to customise before purchase.

OR, was it the worst decision ever?
Very pleased. I would not hesitate to buy another bike online again in the future.
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 03-31-22, 08:52 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
I bought a leftover Cannondale Super Six Evo online and everything was fine. Just had to install the handlebar then adjust seat hight and seat fore and aft and it was good to go.
Old 03-31-22, 10:17 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 403 Posts
Generally, so long as the frame size is right, you'll be able to make the bike fit you. No bike will be a perfect fit out of the box, one advantage to buying from a shop is they can fit the bike to you, more or less. One thing you cannot know when you buy a bike online are its riding characteristics and its handling. Steeper angles and a shorter wheelbase mean sharper handling at the tradeoff of slow speed stability and vice versa. Geometry, construction material, and the dimensions of that material have their own characteristics. It's not necessarily that important, most people tend to adjust to the characteristics of the bike they buy rather than try to find a bike with the specific characteristics they think they want. I don't mind buying bikes, new or used, off the internet.
Old 03-31-22, 10:34 PM
Canker

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I'm 6 for 9 online sight unseen. I'm 5'10 with pretty normal proportions so it isn't hard to figure out fit. The only one that I did have some fit issues with was the first used road bike I bought and it was 1 of the 3 I bought in person, bit small.
Old 04-01-22, 01:40 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
How did it work out? Was a a great fit or did you have to make lots of adjustments to make it work? OR, was it the worst decision ever?

NOT interested in responding saying< “I would never do that”. That is not the question.
I bought a Canyon Endurace online, in June of 2020. At that point, I had 3 road bikes that I had carefully set up to be within a few mm of each other at all the contact points, and any of them were comfy for as long as I could keep my legs turning. I spent a fair bit of time measuring them very carefully and then determining what size of Endurace would allow me to put the contact points in the same place. For me, that meant a Large.

When it came, I found it to be well packed, with a set of easily understood instructions and all the tools needed to put it together - even carbon assembly paste for the seatpost, and two moderately primitive torque wrenches. I carefully set the saddle to the right height and setback, but I set up the bars with all the spacers underneath the stem. I figured, 'I'm not getting any younger. Maybe I should be more upright.'

I took it out for its first ride. After 10 miles, my ass hurt and my hands kept going numb. I was afraid I'd blown $2400 on a lemon! I replaced the saddle with a spare Avocet O2 Air 40R, the same saddle I had on the other 3 bikes. Then I re-measured handlebar height and reach. Reach was fine, but the bars were an inch higher than my other bikes. So I moved 2.5 mm of spacers from below the stem to above. Took it for a 30 mile ride, and everything fit. Now it, too is comfortable for as long as I can keep my legs turning. It needed some minor adjustments to the derailleurs, which were simple enough to do.

So, if you know how to make sure you can get it to fit before you order it, and you know how to achieve the right fit when you receive it, and you know how to adjust derailleurs and brakes, you should do fine. But I'd be really leery of buying online if I didn't already have a well-fitting bike, and know how to set it up.

EDIT: Be prepared to throw out the saddle it comes with. IME, they're usually crap.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-01-22, 02:34 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I have purchased numerous bikes online. In 2016, I purchased a new 2014 Orbea Avant. I liked the frameset and the fit was good from the beginning. However, I had a lot of issues with getting the shifting right and a noisy bb. I wound up having to redo the interior cable routing to get the shifting working properly, and also wound up replacing both the bb and crank set, FSA Omega and mega exo bb. After doing those things, I have the shifting working properly and the crank set/bb, 6750 crank set and BBR-60, are smooth and quiet. I did not ride the bike much when I was having the issues. Once I did the work it became the bike I was expecting when I purchased it.
I have acquired numerous used bikes from online sources, only had one that was a disappointment when I received it. It is a Lemond Tourmalet that was in pretty poor shape, worse than I could tell from the pictures and description. I really considered returning it, but stuck with it, pretty much totally rebuilding it. I spent considerably more dollars than I wanted to, but in the end, it is now one of my favorite rides, and my favorite build that I have done.
Old 04-01-22, 03:27 AM
mtbikerjohn 

Bikes: a few..

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 95 Posts
[QUOTE=Rolla;22457703]I bought my Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross online, and it was pretty much perfect. Mike Varley sent a detailed geometry diagram, including saddle position and stem length based on my measurements, which took almost all of the guesswork out it. I couldn't be happier.

[/QUOT

Looks like you ride a 54cm like I do. I was in-between a 54 & a 56,and Mike put me on a 54 with a 110mm stem. It is honestly the best riding bike I own and the one I tend to grab most often for rides. Mike Varley nailed it with his design. john
Likes For mtbikerjohn:
Old 04-01-22, 04:54 AM
AlgarveCycling

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
I bought my Wilier Zero6 with Sram Red in 2019 from one of Europe's largest online-only retailers in their annual sale. It was a 2018 bike in 52cm and one of 3 they were trying to shift. All black, no paint, these bikes were launched by Wilier as lightweight specials at 6.2kg. RRP was 10,999 GBP and I got mine for 4.599 GBP.

It fit perfectly straight out of the box after some tinkering at a bike fit. I have since upgraded the wheels and added a power meter. It is a joy to ride, especially on long steep climbs.

While I do prefer to support my local bike shops and have since only purchased bikes from them, I am no stranger to sight-unseen online buying for cars and electronics. Never had a problem.

Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 04-01-22, 05:47 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I would never purchase a bike on internet. I need to see it, go over it, sit on it and test ride it before I purchase it.
Old 04-01-22, 05:57 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
I bought a bike from Fezzari online. I would recommend getting a professional bike fit first. Fezzari recommended a frameset that I later found out during my pro fitting was too large for me.

Last edited by Bald Paul; 07-08-22 at 08:02 PM.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 04-01-22, 06:15 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
I bought a bike online for my wife and it worked out great. However, she had already taken a test ride on the same model, which was the personal ride of someone at the shop. We ordered one from them and they called back a few weeks later and said the bike had gone out of production and they couldn't get one. So I found the one of the few remaining in her size that I was able to order online. She did change the saddle when we got it, but not because the stock saddle was uncomfortable. She just wanted a Brooks.
Old 04-01-22, 06:23 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
I bought a SS tank from BikesDirect several years back. I knew what I wanted and it was fine. Buying on the internet makes more sense if you are confident in sizing and assembly/maintenance.

Probably not a good idea for a novice.

YMMV.
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-01-22, 07:22 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I bought a used bike for my wife on-line. No problems with the bike, problem with the wife who told me that after trying it, she really really didn't like drop bars, so the price went up 50% to get my LBS to adapt flat bars.

My custom Bilenky was perfect straight out of the box. Aside from sporadic problems repacking the S&S coupled bike to get it back into its shipping case (user error in each event), I've had no problems. Fit, function, ride, shifting -- all were perfectly dialed in. Literally the first problem I had with the bike was when I put it together a couple hundred miles from home for an "away" century and found the rear tire was bald after a few thousand miles. I chickened slightly and rode the metric the next day.
Old 04-01-22, 07:49 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
https://www.google.com/search?q=buyi...client=gws-wiz
Old 04-01-22, 07:57 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Perfect.
Then they Offered a 2nd one. Last one in my size. 60cm.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 04-01-22 at 08:03 AM. Reason: add
Old 04-01-22, 08:49 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
All my bikes started as frames and I built them up.
If you know stack, reach, bottom bracket drop, chainstay length, and trail then you will know how the bike will fit and handle.

My modern frames were easier to confirm fit than older frames since geometry charts are more complete now.
Black Mountain MC and Fairlight Secan are a couple of my modern frames that have complete geometry charges and it was easy to know I would like the fit and feel once built.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-01-22, 09:07 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
Now I think about it, I realize I've bought more bikes online than I realized. Back in 2007 I bought a 2006 Bianchi 928 that was on sale with a steep discount. At that time I had one bike, which I'd had professionally fitted 10 years before, so I measured it carefully and figured out what size would allow me to replicate that fit. It worked!

Then I bought a used steel frame online, based on the measurements, and I set it up the same. Then, 12 years later, the Canyon.

And back in December, I bought a well-used 1995 Litespeed, a 59cm Ultimate, having spent enough time with the geometry table to confirm that this was the size I wanted. And it fits, too!

None of these bikes has disappointed.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-01-22, 09:09 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I would never purchase a bike on internet. I need to see it, go over it, sit on it and test ride it before I purchase it.
Then you'll never enjoy the sublime perfection of a custom frame.
Old 04-01-22, 01:13 PM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
I ordered a Litespeed in 2020 during Covid. My last bike that i bought came with a bike fit so I had paperwork with general measurements, nothing crazy. I sent it over and they recommended the size that matched the closest.

Bike came in a box probably like most online bikes. I had planned to have a shop complete the assembly but shops in 2020 were running a month behind so I assembled it my self. I'm just an average dude with a set of allen wrenches but nothing was too hard. For the first couple of rides I would bring extra tools and adjust the seat height, tilt then work on the bars until it "Felt Right".

I would buy online again with no worries.
Old 04-01-22, 01:37 PM
rdecredico

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wolfchild

I bought a car on the internet and the company allowed us a 7 day/400 mile grace period in which we could test drive the vehicle and return it no questions asked. No money down so there was nothing they could even claw back on the possible return.

Best car buying experience ever.

Buying a bike on the internet with a credit card affords the buyer a lot of power in the purchase process and once one is familiar with bike sizing and geometries there is no longer a reason to need to see a bike 'in person.' As far as a test ride? All modern big name brand bikes ride great if the fit is reasonable. Buying online opens up a lot more shopping opportunities and chances to find exactly what one wants and this is why it is becoming so ubiquitous.

I recently purchase a Specialized Diverge Expert online that no store within 500 miles could get. They could not order it and cannot swap out with another store. It bubbled up online on the Spesh dtc and it showed up at the house 7 days after I clicked 'buy.' The bike world/marketplace is changing and online buying is where it is going. One must adapt to change or be crushed by it.

I very much prefer the online purchasing experience for standard purchasing. The only downside is not being able to immediately satisfy compulsive urges and having to wait for delivery.
Old 04-02-22, 08:46 AM
Ubie

Bikes: 2019 CO-OP DRT 1.2, 2001 Trek 2200, 2021 Cannondale Topstone 1 Alloy

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 47 Posts
I've bought three online:

2004 Ibex Vantage 4400
Now defunct online only retailer. It was ok, but sizing was S/M/L and I was on the cusp, probably should have gone for the larger size.

2021 Cannondale Topstone 1
From REI so I was able to give it a thorough once over before actually paying money on it. Cannondale's sizing chart was very helpful.

2001 Trek 2200
Ebay listing, size was 52cm and I had ridden a similar vintage Trek frame before so I knew it would be good.
Old 04-02-22, 11:39 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Bikesdirect.com worked for me !

I bought cyclocross style bike from bikes direct. I rode it for close to 20,000 miles. Before I donated it to a guy who passes bikes on to lower once people in need of transportation.

Last edited by RidingMatthew; 04-07-22 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Punctation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.