Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Help identifying unknown Raleigh

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-22, 10:26 AM
Frenzen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Help identifying unknown Raleigh

Unlike the other $50 raleigh from the other post, it got sold, this one is for $50 as well but has been on the market for 2+ weeks. Is it even worth it just for the frame, I have no idea what raleigh it is. Could be a Canadian version only.

Old 05-06-22, 10:30 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
That is a 1970's Raleigh Sprite. Would have been useful to see the drive side components. These sold new in Montreal for about $150
It appears to be a 5 speed. They were also produced in a 10 speed version
Old 05-06-22, 10:48 AM
Frenzen

Originally Posted by alcjphil
That is a 1970's Raleigh Sprite. Would have been useful to see the drive side components. These sold new in Montreal for about $150
It appears to be a 5 speed. They were also produced in a 10 speed version
I am asking him for pictures, is the frame any good of sprites?
Old 05-06-22, 10:52 AM
Frenzen

Person is offering me this bike as well $50 for both, the cabling looks messed up but looks better condition

Old 05-06-22, 11:55 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by Frenzen
I believe it's the same frame they used on their Sports. It's rugged, on the heavy side, and the finish is so-so. Still, not a bad price.
Old 05-06-22, 04:38 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
While a bit on the heavy side these were good basic hi carbon lugged frames that have very nice paint that seems to last and look good even after nearly 50 years. If your up for doing a bunch of cleanup and service work your self the price isn't bad either it wouldn't make sense if your going to pay some one else to do the work on this level bike. I would see if you can make bundle deal for both bikes for $75 but would be fine to get both for $100.

Last edited by zukahn1; 05-06-22 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-06-22, 09:16 PM
Frenzen

Originally Posted by zukahn1
While a bit on the heavy side these were good basic hi carbon lugged frames that have very nice paint that seems to last and look good even after nearly 50 years. If your up for doing a bunch of cleanup and service work your self the price isn't bad either it wouldn't make sense if your going to pay some one else to do the work on this level bike. I would see if you can make bundle deal for both bikes for $75 but would be fine to get both for $100.
he offered me $50 for both, but I am not sure if the other one is a sprite as well. I will take one of them tho for $25. Can you tell by pictures if the second raleigh is sprite, if it is. I will take the better condition one. Yes I will be doing all of the work myself as it it will be a project bike and a bike for me to learn to do stuff
Old 05-07-22, 08:00 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
I have two Sprites, the frames are 2030 tubing and are built just like the Record of the early 70's, plain lug-work, stamped fork ends and stamped fork crown. They are solidly built.
Old 05-07-22, 08:06 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Unlike the other $50 raleigh from the other post, it got sold, this one is for $50 as well but has been on the market for 2+ weeks. Is it even worth it just for the frame, I have no idea what raleigh it is. Could be a Canadian version only.

That Sprite would make a nice commuter but it looks like it will need a complete tear-down, head-set, bottom bracket, hubs, etc.. I've done it numerous times. It's time consuming but those old Raleigh's were built to last. I would offer $25.00 and then roll up your sleeves.
Old 05-08-22, 09:30 AM
Venturiano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting stem bolt.
Old 05-11-22, 04:19 PM
Frenzen

https://imgur.com/a/LvcvFV7

I got more pictures, since I got the bike for $25, the tires had no air and I forgot to bring a pump. so I rode it for 10-15 minutes but it wasnt 100% safe as the roads are terrible in Montreal. Surprisingly the breaks work fine but the friction shifter is jammed. I am unsure if I want to keep the original housing cables, they look like they have a soft texture and appear similar to tires also I cannot tell the size of the tires without having to take off the tires since there are no markings and I am unsure if that is the original stem or bar. The fenders have rust, not sure if I can save these?
Old 05-11-22, 05:30 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Tires on a Raleigh Sprite are 27 x 1 1/4. Can be difficult to find these days
Did you ride the bike with no air in the tires? That could destroy your rims
The brake self adjusters were seen around 1973-1974. However yours are not installed correctly

Last edited by alcjphil; 05-11-22 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-12-22, 09:32 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Tires on a Raleigh Sprite are 27 x 1 1/4. Can be difficult to find these days
Did you ride the bike with no air in the tires? That could destroy your rims
The brake self adjusters were seen around 1973-1974. However yours are not installed correctly
Improperly installed setup safety adjusters seemed to be a standard OEM feature on mid 70's Ralieghs.
Old 05-13-22, 11:03 AM
branko_76 

Those rims are toast. You can update them to aluminum 700C as there is plenty of room to slide the brake pads down in the calipers.
Old 09-01-22, 11:25 AM
Frenzen

I updated the bike and did all the maintenance and sold it to a friend for a $100, made $50 profit as I put $25 into it after buying it for $25. It got stolen from his apartment building lol!

If you ever see a raleigh with 27 wheel damco's and drop bars, you know it was stolen!