Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-11, 11:03 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
P_M - The cap protects the indicator spindle from getting damaged through daily adventures... like scrubbing it up against something or laying the bike down on the drive side.
Old 08-23-11, 11:13 AM
P_M

Bikes: Devinci Tosca S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sixty Fiver - thanks for the reply. I see more bike without them than with them, hence my curiousity.
Old 08-23-11, 11:16 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by robertob
Here's my latest 3-speed, beautiful 1930s or 40s Humber Sports. I'm not sure what to do with it actually. my wife doesn't like drop bars and the brakes suck so it's not such a fun rider. Plus it's so perfect that I would hate to scratch any of the paint
Get Koolstop brake pads and the brakes will be much better.

Switch out the Lauterwasser bar for a Northroad bar. This will make your wife happy. Sell the Lauterwasser bar on ebay; it should bring a couple hundred bucks.
Old 08-23-11, 11:16 AM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
The cap was ugly and most people either took it off or it got busted off -being plastic. Many were taken off by the LBS I would guess. I almost never see them. I wonder when they started putting them on? Late 60's and 70's I would guess.
Old 08-23-11, 12:08 PM
Mike Mills

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rhm
Switch out the Lauterwasser bar for a Northroad bar. This will make your wife happy. Sell the Lauterwasser bar on ebay; it should bring a couple hundred bucks.

... or keep them even after switching to North Roads bars, or just flip them over, top-to-bottom, because if you sell them, they are probably irreplacable (very rare, hence, the high sale price).
Old 08-23-11, 12:58 PM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The latest find and project: A 1969 Raleigh Superbe. $50 on Craigslist. A rare find for the young state of Arizona, and a restoration project for the girlfriend.

The bike is currently stripped except for cottered cranks/BB, and the fenders, front fork, and chainguard are all soaking in an OA solution. I'll be starting a thread to share progress and ask for a few opinions on how to tackle the badly oxidized frame and formerly rusty parts.

Last edited by Maddox; 08-23-11 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-23-11, 01:16 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Mills
... or keep them even after switching to North Roads bars, or just flip them over, top-to-bottom, because if you sell them, they are probably irreplacable (very rare, hence, the high sale price).
Yeah, I would keep them, myself. There is a reason they went out of fashion, though: they're not very comfortable.
Old 08-23-11, 01:33 PM
Mike Mills

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I put North Roads bars on my commuter. I like them more than the straight, flat mountain bike bars they replaces but they are not my favorite. They curve to the rear and you hands are almost parallel to the top tube and are very close to you (poor leverage when climbing). You have a very erect posture. I was thinking something a little more Albatross-ish would be better.
Old 08-26-11, 10:04 AM
P_M

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, I have one more issue. I've found a ladies Raleigh 3 speed (looks like an older Sports - certainly older than mine) that I'm going to look at tonight. But from the picture it appears to be missing at least one (can't see the other side) cap on the fork crown.

I don't know what the construction is so I'm going on wild speculation. Is it open at the top of the fork blade inside that crown tube? If so, any concerns about rust from the inside out? If not, does anyone know where I can order or otherwise pilfer some caps?
Old 08-26-11, 02:52 PM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by P_M
Okay, I have one more issue. I've found a ladies Raleigh 3 speed (looks like an older Sports - certainly older than mine) that I'm going to look at tonight. But from the picture it appears to be missing at least one (can't see the other side) cap on the fork crown.

I don't know what the construction is so I'm going on wild speculation. Is it open at the top of the fork blade inside that crown tube? If so, any concerns about rust from the inside out? If not, does anyone know where I can order or otherwise pilfer some caps?
This should not be an issue...The fork crown on Sports is fully enclosed, not open, and capped of with a welded-on lugged crown that covers over the blades. There's nothing removable or "capped" about it. Either (a) you're wrong about the photo and are noticing a flaw that doesn't structurally exist, (b) the bike is seriously damaged and/or structurally flawed in some way, or (c) I'm completely misunderstanding your question.

Any photos? I've dealt with low-end gaspipe bikes and cruisers (such as 80's era Huffys and an old Centurion LeMans, not 3-speeds or Raleighs) that had a chrome aluminum sleeve-like ornamental "cap" or "cover" that slid over the steerer and sat atop the fork crown, but I've never seen a Sports with such a thing. Could that be what you think you're seeing on the bike? If so, I don't know what to tell you -- I've never seen a Raleigh Sports with one. Perhaps that could be what you're referring to?
Old 08-26-11, 03:05 PM
P_M

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure, here is the ad:

https://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...AdIdZ308816461

The caps I'm referring to are the two (one on each side) at either end of the crown "tube", just below the lower headset race.

To be honest, Raleighs (although the fork on a Pashley seems similar) are the only bicycles I've seen with these details.
Old 08-26-11, 03:10 PM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Someone on PayBay usually has some thimbles for sale. They are not unobtanium. I wouldn't worry too much about rust forming inside the forks. They are going to rust inside regardless of if there is a thimble installed or not. Condensation will pretty much gaurantee that there is some moisture in there at least some of the time. It's not going to be a big deal. If one is worried about it then squirt some 3 in 1 into the weep holes and let the bike sit upside down for a while. It's about the only thing that crap is good for anyhow as a poor-man's frame-saver.
Old 08-26-11, 03:13 PM
P_M

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Amesja. Hopefully this works out. My girlfriend will be getting a new bike if it does.
Old 08-26-11, 03:16 PM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Unless the frame is totally bent out of shape and destroyed just about any basket-case Raleigh Sports can be restored to its former glory for under $100 in parts. Maybe a bit more if you want to make it really "nice" and fresh looking. Or go all out and put alloy rims on it and new spokes for another $100 or so. The parts are pretty robust. Usually the only difficulty I've found is sourcing the upper headset nut/race since it is 26tpi. But if you want to spend $20 for a new fork and headset you can just dump them for new.
Old 08-26-11, 03:31 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Those "caps" are known as thimbles and they do go missing occasionally, Flea bay or someone's parts bin is the first place to look for replacements.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 08-26-11, 04:02 PM
P_M

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know, I searched for every term I could think of and thimble was not one of them. Thanks for steering me in the right direction.
Old 08-29-11, 12:26 PM
robertob

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Get Koolstop brake pads and the brakes will be much better.

Yeah I'm going to swap it out, but I might try it on my 30s Raleigh Sports just to see what it's like.
Old 08-29-11, 12:27 PM
robertob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah the more I ride my sports the less I like North Roads, at least upright - there just aren't any comfy hand positions.

Originally Posted by Mike Mills
I put North Roads bars on my commuter. I like them more than the straight, flat mountain bike bars they replaces but they are not my favorite. They curve to the rear and you hands are almost parallel to the top tube and are very close to you (poor leverage when climbing). You have a very erect posture. I was thinking something a little more Albatross-ish would be better.
Old 08-31-11, 02:26 PM
graywolf

Bikes: Bianchi hybrid. Dunelt 3-sp. Raleigh basket case. Wanting a Roadster.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by auchencrow
Someone will be very happy to snag those, ohjonnybegoode. The 23-inchers seem especially difficult to find. I don't know why, but they are far less common than the 21" models, in my experience.
Actually, it is because most were bought for kids. I do not think the 25 inch frames were ever imported into the USA. What you did not know they even made a 25 inch frame?
Old 09-01-11, 08:41 PM
graywolf

Bikes: Bianchi hybrid. Dunelt 3-sp. Raleigh basket case. Wanting a Roadster.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I find plenty of 19" step through frames. Also FWIW the average height of men in the US in the 1970's was about 5'-9"...guess what sized Raleigh they would be riding?

Aaron
(GRIN) A 23 inch frame if they were smart. Actually, most 3-speeds in the 1970's were probably bought by college students & retired folks. Kids all wanted "Tens", as they called them. Gainfully employed adults probably wanted 10-speeds too, but not the cheap ones. In actuallity, a properly sized 3-speed sport would be about 2 inches bigger than a properly sized dropped bar road bike when you take into consideration the slacker frame angles and the smaller diameter tires.

Prior to the 1970's no one even considered being able to straddle the top tube being important. Any boy who did not want to be called a sissy did a flying mount and dismount, and any adult bicyclist (not very common in the USA) learned to ride as a kid. Girls were delicate things and did not count, besides their bicycles did not have top bars anyway. The simple fact was that 99.9% of the "English Racers" (what any self-respecting kid called his 3-speed) were sold for kids, and that meant 19" girls, and 21" boys models. Mostly the larger bike were only sold in university towns for college students, who were not allowed to have cars on campus (especially freshmen), which is why most of those larger bikes are found in those areas today.

PS: My I got my first 3-speed in 53, I think, when I was 9 or 10.

Last edited by graywolf; 09-01-11 at 08:50 PM. Reason: added PS
Old 09-02-11, 06:18 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by graywolf
(GRIN) A 23 inch frame if they were smart. Actually, most 3-speeds in the 1970's were probably bought by college students & retired folks. Kids all wanted "Tens", as they called them. Gainfully employed adults probably wanted 10-speeds too, but not the cheap ones. In actuallity, a properly sized 3-speed sport would be about 2 inches bigger than a properly sized dropped bar road bike when you take into consideration the slacker frame angles and the smaller diameter tires.

Prior to the 1970's no one even considered being able to straddle the top tube being important. Any boy who did not want to be called a sissy did a flying mount and dismount, and any adult bicyclist (not very common in the USA) learned to ride as a kid. Girls were delicate things and did not count, besides their bicycles did not have top bars anyway. The simple fact was that 99.9% of the "English Racers" (what any self-respecting kid called his 3-speed) were sold for kids, and that meant 19" girls, and 21" boys models. Mostly the larger bike were only sold in university towns for college students, who were not allowed to have cars on campus (especially freshmen), which is why most of those larger bikes are found in those areas today.

PS: My I got my first 3-speed in 53, I think, when I was 9 or 10.
This sounds entirely plausible, because now that you mention it, I too cannot recall any fixation on "stand-over height" either. - So what we might consider a small adult-sized bike today, could well have been intended for a child.

-Indeed, it is more likely that mom and dad would have purchased a 21" frame for their nine or ten year-old (average height 4'2"), so he could "grow into" it (like his shoes).
Old 09-02-11, 09:17 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

New three speed...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
norcowb1.jpg (100.9 KB, 189 views)
Old 09-02-11, 09:30 AM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

My dad bought my (now) 21" Sports in '54 brand new at the LBS when he was 13 with his own paper-route money. I'm sure that at his age the stand-over was about 3" too high to straddle. He soon grew into it as I'm sure was his plan.
Old 09-02-11, 09:48 AM
P_M

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
New three speed...

Nice! I'm think of doing something similar to give to my girlfriend. Which hub did you use?
Old 09-02-11, 09:53 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by P_M
Nice! I'm think of doing something similar to give to my girlfriend. Which hub did you use?
1964 AG (Aw with a generator)... wheels came off my now retired from winter service Kuwahara.

Got the headlight wired up to the generator and now just need to source some adequate fenders.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.