Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best Car for Bike Owners?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best Car for Bike Owners?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-18, 09:44 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Totally agree that sports wagons, (Shooting brakes) are great, and are the more appropriate vehicle for the actual needs of most people who buy SUV's in the US. We used to have a BMW 525 wagon which we loved.

If you look at it, many sports wagons haul more cargo, have bettter performance, and better fuel economy than comparable sized SUV's.

The most fundamental reason that SUV's are more popular than wagon's in US is regulatory. Wagons count as cars in fuel economy regs; SUV's as trucks. So it's in the manufacturer's interest to push SUV's, not wagons.

Given that incentive, Manufacturers have pushed SUV's and sold the public on a perceived safety advantage from the higher seating position, which in reality increases rollover risk and is less safe.

If you want to haul stuff, and never go on anything more narly than a gravel road, a wagon is the better choice. And US regulations distort that.
Nope, Americans love SUVs. The SW is virtually none existent here. In any event, the SW is more maneuverable, and can at least match the carrying capacity of a comparable SUV.
Old 04-16-18, 05:07 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Nope, Americans love SUVs.
... but a good portion of that love springs from the other part of Merlin's quote that you chose not to highlight. How much marketing has gone in to making SUVs big, tough, STRONG! while making wagons and (gasp) minivans emasculation vehicles?
Old 04-16-18, 05:32 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Nope, Americans love SUVs. The SW is virtually none existent here. In any event, the SW is more maneuverable, and can at least match the carrying capacity of a comparable SUV.

And a big reason they love SUV's is that they've been marketed SUV's for the last 30 years. With the advent of CAFE fuel economy standards, it became more profitable to market SUV's which count as trucks for CAFE standards than station wagons, which count as cars.

The development of SUV's, and their rise in popularity directly correlates to the advent of CAFE standards
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 04-16-18, 05:54 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
I run a Volvo V70. Got a rear mounted rack, but hardly ever use it as we can get up to three bikes in the back (wheels taken out), even with the back seats up. Very comfortable seats too, and nice to drive.
Old 04-16-18, 06:34 AM
str8jakett
I pedal in my sleep...

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced 2015, Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2015, Giant TCR Advanced 0 ISP 2008, Cube Cross Race SL 2018, Chapter2 TOA 2022

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 37 Posts
Add me to the list of wagon fans. I have a B5.5 (2005) 1.8t VW Passat 4motion. Absolutely love this car and will more than likely replace it with another wagon down the road. Carry the bike on a roof rack but can easily fit it in the back with the front wheel off.

The only thing I hate is the tiptronic auto. I thought I was ready for an auto when I bought it (at the time I also had an MKIV Jetta VR6 manual), but I only ever shift the car in tip mode, and it's all around terrible.

I fell in love with the Giulia when it hit the US, and if this rendering ever becomes a reality, I may sell a kid to park a Quadrifoglio in the garage.

Old 04-16-18, 09:19 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
If you want to haul stuff, and never go on anything more narly than a gravel road, a wagon is the better choice. And US regulations distort that.
If you want to haul (small to medium) stuff, and never go on anything more gnarly than a gravel road, a wagon is the better choice.

If you want to haul (medium to large) stuff, and never go on anything more gnarly than a gravel road, and don't have to navigate over 6" of unplowed snow, a minivan is the better choice.
Old 04-16-18, 09:31 AM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
a minivan is the better choice.
A mini van is never the better choice.
Old 04-16-18, 12:25 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
And a big reason they love SUV's is that they've been marketed SUV's for the last 30 years. With the advent of CAFE fuel economy standards, it became more profitable to market SUV's which count as trucks for CAFE standards than station wagons, which count as cars.
The "chicken/egg" conundrum?

The development of SUV's, and their rise in popularity directly correlates to the advent of CAFE standards
I think that's known as a spurious correlation. However, neither trucks nor SUVs are omitted from the regulation.
Originally Posted by str8jakett
Add me to the list of wagon fans. I have a B5.5 (2005) 1.8t VW Passat 4motion. Absolutely love this car and will more than likely replace it with another wagon down the road. Carry the bike on a roof rack but can easily fit it in the back with the front wheel off.

The only thing I hate is the tiptronic auto. I thought I was ready for an auto when I bought it (at the time I also had an MKIV Jetta VR6 manual), but I only ever shift the car in tip mode, and it's all around terrible.

I fell in love with the Giulia when it hit the US, and if this rendering ever becomes a reality, I may sell a kid to park a Quadrifoglio in the garage.
That's just the thing, you can still buy a Jetta wagon and an Audi Avante but neither appear to be flying off the proverbial shelves.

Last edited by KraneXL; 04-16-18 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-16-18, 01:25 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
I once fit seven bikes inside a VW Passat wagon. I agree about wagons.

Minivans are fantastic in their own respects. A good one (not a Honda Element) is luxurious, especially for road trips.

Tall vehicles (SUVs and minivans) are not only at increased risk of rollovers, they are also much more lethal to people outside the vehicle (pedestrians and bicycles). So people buy them thinking they are avoiding danger when they are, in fact, creating the danger they think they're avoiding.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-16-18, 02:25 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Originally Posted by jitteringjr
A mini van is never the better choice.
If you need your car to get laid, then it could be a problem. But if your self esteem and social status are not built entirely on your vehicle, then the minivan is a better choice.
Old 04-16-18, 03:11 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I once fit seven bikes inside a VW Passat wagon.
For some reason this struck me as really, really funny.

I pictured the cowns getting out of the little car at the circus or the guy carrying a bunch of 2x4's in his Corvette.
Old 04-16-18, 09:12 PM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you need your car to get laid, then it could be a problem. But if your self esteem and social status are not built entirely on your vehicle, then the minivan is a better choice.
I like to drive for the enjoyment of driving which means I need a vehicle that doesn’t handle like a soup sandwich boat/van floating down the lanes. A van is never a good choice. And I have been married too long for a car to make the difference in me getting laid on any given night or not.
Old 04-16-18, 09:18 PM
jordanair45
Banned.

Bikes: 16' SS Hi-Mod, 15' CAAD12

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have no problem driving the lambo.

I just have the bike dropped off . Don't see a problem.

Vans are the best for cyclists. Teams own vans for a reason.

Wanna be a hardcore cyclist ?

Get a class b camper. Go to the mountains. Youll have all your bases covered. Place to sleep. Eat. Train. Fix bikes. Etc.

Next car I get will be a van. Maybe a class b. Kinda expensive. Might do my own conversion. But that takes too Much time.

You can get cheap old vans for bike days and keep a daily driver on the side.
Old 04-17-18, 07:54 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
Originally Posted by str8jakett

A Giulia Q-wagon sounds unlikely, but if they'd throw a de-tuned version of the 2.9 6cyl Q motor, perhaps down to 350hp, in a slightly longer wheelbase "Giulio" which could sell for sub-$60k, they might have something there.
Old 04-17-18, 09:05 AM
nycphotography
NYC

Originally Posted by jitteringjr
I like to drive for the enjoyment of driving which means I need a vehicle that doesn’t handle like a soup sandwich boat/van floating down the lanes. A van is never a good choice. And I have been married too long for a car to make the difference in me getting laid on any given night or not.
I have the AMG SL for fun days. I'd have a AMG GT-R, but really decided I just don't really want to deal with one on public roads. The SL is very civilized... yet an absolute track capable beast.

But turns out the Town and Country is luxe enough, handles well enough, has a good enough stereo, and is so much more utlitarian that I end up driving the minivan 90% of the time. It's not like I'm torturing myself with my heated seats and steering wheel on US freeways designed so even complete morons find it hard to kill themselves.

Besides, what would the point really be of any horribly compromised POS that is neither sporty nor utilitarian? Ironically, the Town and Country minivan is one of the most pure uncompromised vehicles available.
Old 04-17-18, 10:25 AM
jitteringjr

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
the Town and Country minivan is one of the most pure uncompromised vehicles available.
My parents own one and I have driven it enough. Sorry I am sticking to the soup sandwich comment.
Old 04-18-18, 05:26 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
The "chicken/egg" conundrum?I think that's known as a spurious correlation. However, neither trucks nor SUVs are omitted from the regulation.That's just the thing, you can still buy a Jetta wagon and an Audi Avante but neither appear to be flying off the proverbial shelves.
Not at all a spurious correlation. There's a direct causal effect. Station wagons got classified as cars and held to higher mileage standards; SUV's got classified as light trucks and held to a lower mileage standard. Making station wagons that met CAFE standards was more difficult and expensive than making SUV's that go you a lower standard.

So by selling SUV's you made more money and helped with your overall CAFE numbers. Building station wagons conversely, hurt your overall CAFE numbers. No brainer for Car Manufacturers.

"Station wagons were very popular prior to CAFE. Those vehicles were particularly popular among families because of the room they afforded multiple passengers. When CAFE became law, automakers could not create station wagons that met the higher fuel efficiency standards for cars, so the companies nixed the popular models.

Car manufacturers still seeking a product that would make consumers happy and comply with government regulations found their solution in the SUV. It offered the larger vehicle size consumers demanded but fell under the CAFE definition of a light truck. This classification allowed SUVs to be subject to the lower fuel economy requirement of 21 mpg. Therefore, the government’s action in imposing CAFE standards, which was intended to curb oil consumption, helped prompt the creation of the SUV and subsequent “gas guzzling.”
If not for the federal government’s intervention, companies would not have had nearly as strong — or as bizarre — an incentive to develop the SUV. Manufacturers might have continued producing the already-popular family-oriented station wagons, whose emissions, while higher than a sedan, are lower than an SUV."

https://www.cfif.org/htdocs/freedomli...d-insanity.htm

And more recent changes in CAFE regs make it worse by creating incentives for manufacturers to make bigger SUV's.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ations-feature
https://www.greencarreports.com/news...ck-do-you-care

https://moneyning.com/misc/where-have...n-wagons-gone/
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 04-18-18 at 05:51 AM.
Old 04-22-18, 07:20 PM
beechnutC23
U.I.O.G.D.

Bikes: Bassi Hog's Back gravel/bikepacking, Bombtrack Hook 2 gravel, Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, Marinoni Special EL-OS/Campy Record (retired to permanent indoor trainer), Rocky Mountain hybrid, Rocky Mountain mtb Cervelo R3 Team/Campy Chorus FOR SALE

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 17 Posts
The "chicken/egg" conundrum?I think that's known as a spurious correlation. However, neither trucks nor SUVs are omitted from the regulation.That's just the thing, you can still buy a Jetta wagon and an Audi Avante but neither appear to be flying off the proverbial shelves.
Depends where. Here in Quebec, gas just hit $1.36/litre. That's $5.15 per US gallon. Golf wagons are literally flying off the shelves I see them everywhere. We have two and love 'em. My wife's FWD gets somewhat better mileage than my 4MOTION (both have manual transmissions), but the 4MOTION ain't too shabby, now that the summer tires are on, I'm averaging 32 mpg, and my wife's FWD is doing about 35.

Her previous TDI wagon was even better... WAY better, but we all know that story.
Old 04-22-18, 09:58 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by beechnutC23
Golf wagons are literally flying off the shelves ...
That must be quite the sight.
Old 04-22-18, 10:19 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
That must be quite the sight.
Just seeing them on shelves, before they started taking flight, must’ve been something!

I swear, Canada has gotten so much cooler under Trudeau...

Old 04-23-18, 10:40 AM
Harumph

Bikes: 2018 BMC RoadMachine 02

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I still have to go with my Ford F-150. Love this vehicle. It's big and roomy, handles great, and still gets 26 mpg on the highway. I can also fit a boat load of bikes in the back.

As for minivans, I hate the idea of having to turn in your man card before dealer hands you the keys...

Last edited by Harumph; 04-23-18 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-23-18, 11:38 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Harumph
I still have to go with my Ford F-150. Love this vehicle. It's big and roomy, handles great, and still gets 26 mpg on the highway. I can also fit a boat load of bikes in the back.

As for minivans, I hate the idea of having to turn in your man card before dealer hands you the keys...
If you needed a cool car to get a man card, you were an illegitimate man in the first place
Old 04-23-18, 12:21 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Should someone tell him all the adult fun and games you can have in the back of a van? My T&C seats fold down. Hint Hint.
Old 04-23-18, 12:26 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
If you needed a cool car to get a man card, you were an illegitimate man in the first place
I won't go that far, but I will say that when I had my '89 Toyota Van AWD, an original minivan, the girls really loved it! I, for my part, loved them all...including the van. My brother rolled it, ending that chapter of my car life.

It was a great van for cyling, and I took two buddies and 3 MTBs all inside the van down to Kentucky to do some trail riding, and the Van got us across some sweet doubletrack deep in the forests. Good times, those.

Old 04-23-18, 12:28 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Should someone tell him all the adult fun and games you can have in the back of a van? My T&C seats fold down. Hint Hint.
Absolutely. My aforementioned Toyota Van even had a refrigerator between the front seats, perfect for a 6pk of beer or a bottle of wine to enhance those adult escapades.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.