Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Curious, is this old Univega road bike worth selling?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-21-20, 02:22 PM
geepondy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

After going hybrid for a number of years, I just bought a new road bike. My old road bike, not ridden for many years is a 1993 (I believe) Univega "Carbolite" R7.2. It has a mostly carbon fiber frame (individual carbon tubes) and a Shimano 105, 7 sprocket rear gear set and two in the front sprocket. I think I paid $900 plus at the time and then put on a better rear wheel when I got sock of breaking spokes.

So my question, does the bike hold enough resale value to bother advertising locally (especially in this pandemic age) or am I better off to give it to a friend who hopefully may ride it? I tried to post a pic but wasn't allowed as I don't have 10 posts yet.
Old 06-21-20, 02:49 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Sell it and let someone else definitely use it. Inexpensive bikes are a hot commodity right now and if you are not going to ride it again, now is the time.
Old 06-21-20, 03:11 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Well you'll maybe get a couple hundred bucks

You'll have to take pictures, deal with people, probably transport the bike around to avoid having strangers at your house. I can't see any chance you don't get stuck with 2-3 hours sunk into selling it

Not really worth it from a dollars to time standpoint
If you have a friend that may use it that's easier. You may also be able to donate it
Old 06-21-20, 03:24 PM
geepondy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Your logic makes sense.

Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast
Well you'll maybe get a couple hundred bucks

You'll have to take pictures, deal with people, probably transport the bike around to avoid having strangers at your house. I can't see any chance you don't get stuck with 2-3 hours sunk into selling it

Not really worth it from a dollars to time standpoint
If you have a friend that may use it that's easier. You may also be able to donate it
Old 06-21-20, 03:25 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Condition is everything. If it has been abused, left out in the weather and generally beat up, then it might not garner much interest.

But if you have had it hanging from the rafters and it is in excellent shape, it still won’t be worth a lot, maybe a few hundred dollars, but it t might move faster.

I checked eBay and a couple of Carbolite mtb frames sold for $150 incl shipping.

You’ve held onto it for almost 30 years. It’s up to you.

John
Old 06-21-20, 05:42 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Take her for one last voyage. If your friend really wants to ride, give him a great deal. Or if he can't afford it give him a gift. But if he is not going to really use it, sell. But not before one last ride.
Old 06-21-20, 05:50 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Older Univega: Cool. Older carbon: Not so cool.

It may be worth posting to see if you get any responses. I think the main problem is that there is not a particularly large market: people interested in buying used carbon fiber bikes are probably going to stay away from something that old, and people interested in older/vintage bicycles are probably looking at steel.

There might be a special buyer interested in vintage carbon, though - who knows!
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 06-21-20, 06:02 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
If you don't sell it, consider loaning it to someone who is on the fence about getting into cycling.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 06-21-20, 06:49 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I'm currently riding about 110-150 miles per week. About half of those miles are on a MUP, the other half on the road. If you had asked me this time last year where would my riding take place I would have answered 100% MUP.

So, if I had a 30 year old bike as an extra that was rideworthy I would keep it for three reasons. The first is you may find that you want to ride in an environment that isn't suitable for a road bike, the second is if I had a friend that isn't a rider and doesn't have a bike you could take that individual for a one time ride and use that bike and third you will not get that much money for it.

I vote keep it.