Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Plan to ride and photograph not working

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-22-20, 06:17 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts

Had great plans to capture the extraordinary sights and things I come across on my rides, but find myself unwilling to stop and "capture" the sight. I like the rhythm of riding and being in the totally relaxed zone out there, which also enhances the experience of the extraordinary sights. Just not willing to stop and compose. Good thing is that my brain still functions fairly well and remembers most of what I see.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 08-22-20, 06:31 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 321 Posts
moving action shots!
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 08-22-20, 06:35 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Traveling with DSLR and I don't like taking hands off bars and looking away from the road either. Thought about go pro or something, but I figure the experience is what I am riding for so will just stick with it.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 08-22-20, 06:37 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts
For me, it’s a balance. On Thursday, during a day ride to get groceries on a three day tour, I ended up behind a horse-drawn carriage driven by two Amish teens. I considered whipping out the camera but instead chose to simply ride behind them, enjoying the sounds of the wheels and hooves on the pavement and watching them lean towards each other to chat. Very intimate moment. Living in the moment without disrupting it to take a photo. I was sad when they turned off after about four miles.
Old 08-22-20, 06:38 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
My solution was a compact recorder that I can lift still images from the footage... just finding that section in the footage is the chore.
Old 08-23-20, 06:57 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
go on longer rides, like multi day tours or overnight camping trips. Day long rides are typically at a different pace with lots of stops anyway. This lets you concentrate on the journey more than just the forward motion. It is a completely different way of riding. If you couple this with a scenic area, like the C&O or Erie canal, than stopping to read the placards or taking in the sites is more likely to happen.

Sometimes one needs to break out of the "training ride" mentality.

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 08-24-20 at 04:56 AM.
Old 08-23-20, 07:08 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
I just shoot pics with my iPhone while riding. Doesn't really disrupt the flow of my ride.

Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-23-20, 08:13 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Had great plans to capture the extraordinary sights and things I come across on my rides, but find myself unwilling to stop and "capture" the sight. I like the rhythm of riding and being in the totally relaxed zone out there, which also enhances the experience of the extraordinary sights. Just not willing to stop and compose. Good thing is that my brain still functions fairly well and remembers most of what I see.
I can relate to this exactly. In the late 90s and early 2000s I was totally into cameras. Digital was making older film cameras very affordable and also some amazing, beautiful lenses. Walmart was processing color film in store for $1.76 a roll, and I'd scan the negs at home. I had some brassed, bashed SLRs, some quite small, like the Minolta EM or the Yashka FX-3 and FX3-2000, and the lenses and filters!

What I found was I never wanted to stop and shoot.

Now I have a cell phone ready to go and the camera isn't too bad. It even does the "fake" background blur.

But mostly I run my helmet cam.

On the other hand, I had a couple of old, heavy all-metal SLRs with long zoom lenses, that if swing around by the strap could probably kill a bear if I were attacked.

Last edited by BobbyG; 08-23-20 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-23-20, 10:16 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by BobbyG

What I found was I never wanted to stop and shoot.

On the other hand, I had a couple of old, heavy all-metal SLRs with long zoom lenses, that if swing around by the strap could probably kill a bear if I were attacked.
I spent nearly 4 months straight on the road in 1999. Carried a Mamiya 645 with power winder, metered view finder and three lenses. Talk about heavy. I also had a 35mm with one lens. Between the two I shot nearly 100 rolls of film and developed them all myself when I got home. Talk about a task. I also did my own printing of selected images.

Much of the work taken while between camps looked rushed. Most of the best shots were taken on days off or after the day’s riding was done. When I had more time to think and compose. There were also more people to capture.

These day I have a digital camera that fits in my jersey pocket and my iPhone that I take on tours. I’ll definitely stop to take photos, but not a ton. Stopping can disrupt the moment. But sometimes it’s worth it. This was taken on the Route of the Hiawatha. Coolest bike trail I’ve ever ridden. Lots of tunnels and some high trestles across the Bitterroots.

Last edited by indyfabz; 08-23-20 at 10:27 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-23-20, 10:30 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
I don't get the premise of the thread. You just make choices. That is all.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 08-23-20, 11:15 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Got into the riding so much , forgot to stop & take pictures ? It happens..

Once I had made my 35mm camera gear secure & kept dry, it slowed my snapshot spontaneity.

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-23-20 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-23-20, 01:21 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Carried a Mamiya 645 with power winder, metered view finder and three lenses.
That probably weighed as much as your bike.
I always wanted one of those. I had three old medium format folders. I also had a Graphlex 4x5 press camera. When extended, one could probably seek shelter in there if necessary.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 08-23-20, 01:41 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Somebody's bound to jump on me for this, but if you want to see and photograph the most interesting stuff, get off the bike and walk. Maybe take along some kind of small pack or bag that you don't mind getting a little dirty, and you can bring home souvenirs and sometimes useful finds from the berms and drainage ditches. The world at slow speed and close range is a fascinating place. Even at bicycling speeds you miss an awful lot of it.
Likes For rollagain:
Old 08-23-20, 01:49 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by BobbyG
That probably weighed as much as your bike.
I put the bike on a weigh station scale in Montana. It came in at 90 lbs. The bike itself was a relatively light Cannondale. I was with a group of 12 others, so we split the group cooking gear, which saved me weight. The evening before the trip started we split up the gear. People grabbed the less bulky stuff. I got left with a medium size pot with a lid that doubled as a frying pan. It was bulky, but I’ll bet it weighed less that two fuel bottles that a couple of people snatched up. It definitely weighed less than the full kitchen I carry today.
Old 08-23-20, 02:13 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts

From the bicycle mounted recorder to a still shot.

It may not be 4KHD quality, but it prevents stopping & from looking suspicious.
Old 08-23-20, 10:54 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
I'm not sure I do photography to ride, or if I ride to do photography. I have been editing photos during the Covid 19 turmoil. I started with 50,000 pictures from 2007 to 2020. These pictures document a total of 2 years of bike touring covering 25,000 miles in 11 countries that my wife and I completed during that period. When I finally got things semi-organized, I ended up with over 54,000 pictures. Go figure My wife has almost the same volume with her photos. We have have not started on scanning the pre-2007 negatives and slides yet.

Like Happy Feet said, "You just make choices. That is all."
Nebraska--2007

Later in the day.

Oregon-- August 2020

Last edited by Doug64; 08-27-20 at 09:24 PM.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 08-24-20, 08:55 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
While I can appreciate the rhythm of the ride overtaking the time to stop and compose a photo, I find that occasionally the scene is good enough to make the effort. There'll be a bunch of rides in a row that I never stop and then there'll be one ride where I stop 5 times. It all depends on the time of day, the light, my mood, and the scene. If it all works together, pulling the phone out of my pocket is worthwhile.

8:08 AM on a February morning in Pittsburgh along the Ohio River.
Likes For Altair 4:
Old 08-26-20, 02:36 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I use a pocket camera a lot. It fits inside my jersey's right rear pocket and can be taken out, turned on and an image taken without looking into the viewfinder all the while using just one hand. It's a Canono PowerShot SX120 IS. The IS stands for Image Stabilization and it really works.

This was taken whilst riding.

This was taken whilst riding and pointing the camera rearward whilst still watching the road ahead.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 08-26-20, 07:41 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
These days, when I bring a camera, I bring a little P&S which rides in my Topeak pack. I have a variety of DSLRs but I've never brought one on the bike (and my cell phone is a dumb phone, so no camera).

For years, though, I rode with a film SLR.... I eventually found a small backpack that I could keep it in, I used to have the biggest worry about getting robbed if the camera were visible, so the backpack seemed to best way to keep it out of sight.

I used to use my parents' ancient Minolta SR-1 camera. I don't remember exactly how I was carrying it, but on a bike ride I dropped it at speed.... Twice. Surprisingly, the camera kept working and suffered only a dented filter ring. Having it in its 1962-era brown leather case probably helped it survive. I got in BIG trouble that afternoon when they came home from work!
Old 08-26-20, 09:14 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 2,601 Times in 930 Posts
There's a balance 'tween riding pleasure and, "Ooh! Ooh! Look a squirrel!" Or flower. For each of us the balancing point is in a different position.
Likes For locolobo13:
Old 08-26-20, 09:21 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Miele Man
This was taken whilst riding.
Oh boy. Let's hope the "That is incredibly stupidly dangerous!" people don't read your post. There were a few of them in a thread of a year or two ago.
Old 08-26-20, 10:31 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts

Phone camera not the best but always with me

Last edited by hillyman; 08-26-20 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-26-20, 11:04 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10245 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts
I know what the OP means. Every year, starting in February as the winter rains get the spring growth going, my routes are full of widlflowers, and every year I think, "I'm gonna take some pictures of these!" and every year, I don't. I'm riding by spots where I want to take a picture - like where the blue lupines give way to the white lupines - and I just don't want to stop. I even think, "I'll ride back to the car, and that'll be the end of 'The Ride", and then I'll come back!" and I never do.

I think riding is a different state of mind that I don't want to interrupt.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-26-20, 04:06 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Oh boy. Let's hope the "That is incredibly stupidly dangerous!" people don't read your post. There were a few of them in a thread of a year or two ago.
SHEESH! And just what's so "incredibly stupidly dangerous!" about taking a small camera out of a jersey pocket, turning it on, pointing it rearward and taking an image all the while keep my eyes on the road ahead and one hand on the handlebar? It's no more dangerous and in fact is NOT as dangerous as taking a water bottle out of a seatube or downtube bottle cage whilst riding.

Cheers
Old 08-26-20, 04:27 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Miele Man
SHEESH! And just what's so "incredibly stupidly dangerous!" about taking a small camera out of a jersey pocket, turning it on, pointing it rearward and taking an image all the while keep my eyes on the road ahead and one hand on the handlebar? It's no more dangerous and in fact is NOT as dangerous as taking a water bottle out of a seatube or downtube bottle cage whilst riding.

Cheers
Beats me, but there were a couple of people who thought it was death-defying. I’ve taken plenty of photos while riding.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.