Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Race across America

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Race across America

Old 07-01-21, 06:44 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18322 Post(s)
Liked 15,304 Times in 7,233 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
A presumption which is reinforced by the context and timing of his first post in the thread, and also his juvenile username.
Added him to my ignore list not long after he joined. For obvious reasons.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-01-21, 07:09 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,766 Times in 1,725 Posts
First off, big congrats to Leah. She's achieved something most of us wouldn't even attempt.

On a side note, I happen to have a bike that was owned by 3 time RAAM winner Bob Fourney. It wasn't one of his RAAM bikes but one he had custom made to race in Paris-Brest-Paris in the mid 90's. Quite a sweet ride even today.

It's about 1/2 longer in the top tube than even my Lemonds, with lot's of tire clearance, light Columbus EL-OS tubing, styles lugs, and a sweet paint job. I rebuilt it with a nice Dura Ace 9 speed setup and use it as one of my comfortable but fast long distance riders.

Framebuilder named Wayne Evans in Denver made this.

Gotta love the headbadge!
Old 07-01-21, 07:18 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Gotta love the headbadge!
Kokopelli!

That is a seriously pretty bike.
Old 07-01-21, 08:30 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Outstanding achievement, it's so nice to see a woman beat the men.

I had a neighbor who was crew chief for his Dad's 4x mixed relay team a few years back. Dad was riding RAAM at 80 years old! Amazing.
Old 07-01-21, 09:51 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Probably because we're finding it hard to believe that your "curiosity" about this is unrelated to the fact that it was won by a woman.
​​​​​
Yikes. Project much?

Maybe a bit of a projection on my part, but some of you need to work on your views of women. Not all of them are these frail creatures that need you to protect them from imagined internet slights. Especially one who just rode a bike cross country in 11 days.

This thread has gone off the rails, but you are right, I'm not all that interested in bike races in general. Should probably keep off hand comments to topics of interest.
Old 07-01-21, 10:01 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,318 Times in 2,703 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Should probably keep off hand comments to topics of interest.
Keep it in P&R, everyone will be happier.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-01-21, 10:05 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Kokopelli!

That is a seriously pretty bike.
He stands tooting away above my kitchen door.

And it really is a pretty bike.
Old 07-01-21, 11:29 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
I think it's great that the race was won by a woman, but I'm also curious why everyone was significantly slower this year. It's got nothing to do who won the race or what their gender is. Really windy? Got it. Record high temperatures? Ouch, that must have sucked. Changed the route? Good to know. New mandated sleep rules to increase safety? Understandable.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-01-21, 12:03 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I think it's great that the race was won by a woman, but I'm also curious why everyone was significantly slower this year. It's got nothing to do who won the race or what their gender is. Really windy? Got it. Record high temperatures? Ouch, that must have sucked. Changed the route? Good to know. New mandated sleep rules to increase safety? Understandable.
I'm not sure I'm looking at this correctly, as it seems somewhat weird, but this seems to say that the entire race only had 12 entrants, only 2 under the age of 50, and of the 12, only 3 people finished. https://www.raamrace.org/results
Old 07-01-21, 12:10 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Yeah, lost in all the bickering in this thread is the fact that the entire race was slower this year. I too saw that and wondered why. The gender of riders didnt even cross my mind- just curious why it was slower. The average speed was slower for the winner, so it was therefore slower for all.
Rain? Heat? Wind? Everyone rode Gatorskins?
And the reverse is true- when I see a race that is faster than usual, I also wonder what allowed for better times.
Old 07-01-21, 12:12 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Yikes. Project much?

Maybe a bit of a projection on my part, but some of you need to work on your views of women. Not all of them are these frail creatures that need you to protect them from imagined internet slights. Especially one who just rode a bike cross country in 11 days.

This thread has gone off the rails, but you are right, I'm not all that interested in bike races in general. Should probably keep off hand comments to topics of interest.
OK, so you were never much interested in this event before, but SOMETHING triggered you to investigate where it was on the spectrum of average speeds? Hmmmmmm, I wonder what that could be..........

Nice try with the "projection" deflection.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-01-21, 12:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'm not sure I'm looking at this correctly, as it seems somewhat weird, but this seems to say that the entire race only had 12 entrants, only 2 under the age of 50, and of the 12, only 3 people finished. https://www.raamrace.org/results

I guess, but this may have been an especially hard year to get ready for this with everything shutting down periodically. To me that makes her accomplishment even more impressive. That and she beat the men's winner by 17+ hours.
Old 07-01-21, 12:48 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Yeah, looks like the numbers were way down.

The only other solo woman rider DNFed with 100 miles left -- that had to be a tough decision.
Old 07-01-21, 12:56 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Yeah, looks like the numbers were way down.

The only other solo woman rider DNFed with 100 miles left -- that had to be a tough decision.

She didn't make the cutoff, not her decision.

That had to hurt bad.
Old 07-01-21, 06:45 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Yeah, lost in all the bickering in this thread is the fact that the entire race was slower this year. I too saw that and wondered why. The gender of riders didnt even cross my mind- just curious why it was slower. The average speed was slower for the winner, so it was therefore slower for all.
And the reverse is true- when I see a race that is faster than usual, I also wonder what allowed for better times.
Both Haldeman and Robič had two winning years where their times were different by almost 24 hours. Haldeman's were consecutive years, the 2nd being slower. Weather is a huge difference.

I've only done 24 hour races and brevets up to 1500k; my limited experience is that small things can make a huge difference. When you're close to your mental and physical limits, it doesn't take much for things to go bad. Heat and wind, to me, are the morale killers.
Old 07-01-21, 07:35 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I was wondering a lot of the same things. The one news article I did find mentioned a lean field. If it was really 12 entrants than lean is an understatement.

Maybe the uncertainty with covid caused people to think the race wouldn't happen so no one trained. Also wonder if they required riders to be vaccinated and if that caused people to not show up.
Old 07-01-21, 09:17 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Used to live in Annapolis, but that was before RAAM ended there. I think it would be kind of cool to see the finishers, but like sailing you don't know when day or night it's going to be. I finished my share of rides at city dock, but that's more of the Sunday afternoon variety, when you can get a milk shake and sit and watch the boats cycle through Ego Alley.

scott s.
Old 07-01-21, 10:09 PM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts

Yep, our local girl did well.
But the coverage in the local paper was .... meh.

Last edited by OldRailfan; 07-01-21 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-02-21, 04:58 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,318 Times in 2,703 Posts
Also wonder if they required riders to be vaccinated and if that caused people to not show up.
I'm sure that's it....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 07-02-21, 05:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Also wonder if they required riders to be vaccinated and if that caused people to not show up.
So, your theory is they narrowed the field by screening out complete idiots who refuse vaccination?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-02-21, 05:20 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
There were three (3) Solo finishers. None of the top riders were in this year's race. That explains the record time. Sex has nothing to do with what I wrote there.
Old 07-02-21, 06:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
There were three (3) Solo finishers. None of the top riders were in this year's race. That explains the record time. Sex has nothing to do with what I wrote there.
I think we got that the first 4 or so times somebody felt a need to point that out. Sex obviously has something to do with why you'd choose to point it out yet again.

You want us to believe that the sex of the winner has nothing to do with the fact that multiple posters have decided that the topic of this thread is explaining why this was a slow time for this race?

Are you also selling a bridge in Brooklyn?

Again, I'm sure it's extremely likely that the "top riders" were dissuaded from training for this event under the restrictions of the last year. I think the fact that she did so to win by more than 17 hours despite those obstacles makes the accomplishment more, not less, remarkable.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-02-21, 07:19 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I think the fact that she did so to win by more than 17 hours despite those obstacles makes the accomplishment more, not less, remarkable.
As long as she did not defile her femininity with lots of tattoos I am good with her performance.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-02-21, 07:37 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
As long as she did not defile her femininity with lots of tattoos I am good with her performance.
Hot chix with tattoos are still hot, Hot chix without tatoos are hot. Hot chix are hot. Bike riding is fun. The RAAM is cool. Now if someone could tell me why this years RAAM was slow we could end this thread. I like hot chix.

I have fully plumbed the major tenants of this thread.
Old 07-02-21, 08:00 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
I have fully plumbed the major tenants of this thread.
I don't rent. I own.
Likes For indyfabz:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.