Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding on sidewalks

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Riding on sidewalks

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-22, 03:14 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Implication being that these rides are of lesser importance than the usage by others (primarily auto)?
Nope, implication is that group rides get no more privilege than other cyclists.

I already said that if it was a situation where the single rider could legally take the lane, then there's no issue.

And no, I don't put a high priority on duplicating race conditions on public roads. Name one other vehicle where you're allowed to treat the road as if it's your closed course.

BTW, I have only seen a group ride pulled over by the police once for blocking the lane, and it was in Massachusetts. Massachusetts doesn't have a FRAP law. I'd be pretty careful with this "the law is what the police enforce" argument people are making here.

Last edited by livedarklions; 04-23-22 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-23-22, 07:33 PM
The Big Wheel
Oooooooofffff SALESMAN!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I think it depends on where you live. In New Your city no way but here in Michigan no one ever uses the sidewalks and riding on a major street (not a neighborhood street with 25mph speed) you will get run over.
Old 04-26-22, 03:54 PM
toto34

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Never really but I don't find it rude. Not many walkers here in the Midwest.
Old 04-26-22, 05:57 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
I only recently found out, after living here more than 10 years now, that it is legal in my city to ride on the sidewalk. They've even chosen to include portions of sidewalk as parts of the ongoing bike infrastructure improvements; "Ride this bike path to downtown, then the sidewalk across downtown, to connect to the other bike path."

I choose to ride on the street where practical, but there are contraflow situations where it makes sense to ride on the sidewalk, and at times when I have the kids on the cargo bike I will absolutely opt for a quiet sidewalk over a busy arterial.