Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are bike shoes really necessary?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are bike shoes really necessary?

Old 04-26-22, 05:55 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Some of us do some pretty serious long-distance riding staying in that "denial phase."

I've ridden tens of thousands of miles in flat-soled New Balance sneakers as they best fit my terrible feet. I rode 178 miles that way in the last 3 days. I made the mistake of buying cycling specific shoes once, and they were awful for my feet (5 10s, btw). Telling other people what they need in footwear is ridiculous. People's feet vary way too much to identify a "normal".
nothing wrong with flat pedals and some trainers but wearing dad sneakers (NB) ain’t doing it for me. Also if you are going to wear sneakers I would try and wear something flat and stiff like a mtb shoe or even skate shoe. I am guessing you disagree since your Orthotics won’t fit. I agree every foot is different but I found it’s not shoe sizes that limits people but more so improper cleat setup and the biomechanics of clipless pedals.
Old 04-26-22, 07:20 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrasero
nothing wrong with flat pedals and some trainers but wearing dad sneakers (NB) ain’t doing it for me. Also if you are going to wear sneakers I would try and wear something flat and stiff like a mtb shoe or even skate shoe. I am guessing you disagree since your Orthotics won’t fit. I agree every foot is different but I found it’s not shoe sizes that limits people but more so improper cleat setup and the biomechanics of clipless pedals.

Spoken like a person who doesn't have an unusual foot shape (which is a lot of people, BTW). I get that you don't like NB, and I'm not recommending them for you or anyone else. I am objecting to saying that people who don't want cycling specific shoes are in some sort of denial.

Yes, I wear orthotics as do millions of other people.

I've found that the vast majority of people on bicycles wear non-cycling specific shoes, it's only when you get on these forums that the echo chamber drowns out that rather obvious fact.

MTB shoes don't fit my toes and cost ridiculous amounts of money. I've worn NB skate shoes and they're fine.

Last edited by livedarklions; 04-26-22 at 07:24 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-26-22, 07:52 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1653 Post(s)
Liked 1,797 Times in 1,048 Posts
Remember that guy, Lachlan Morton, who left the 2021 ToF start after the peloton, rode all the stages unsupported AND rode the transfers AND got to Paris five days before the race finish?

Likes For tcs:
Old 04-26-22, 10:58 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 2,159 Times in 1,319 Posts
Whether someone needs a cycling shoe or not probably depends on the type of pedal, mileage, and maybe how well a person’s foot can absorb abuse.

A quill pedal is basically a blade that puts all the pressure, at least the back, at a single point of the shoe. When quill pedals were about the only option, companies like Avocet offered a semi-rigid walkable touring shoe that spread a lot of that pressure over a larger area. For most road riding, it would probably still one of the better options if available today; though the toe box was a little small.

I ride platforms on my mtb’s with hiking shoes from Big 5. They work fine with the larger contact area of a platform. It is also a good option if something causes you to get off the bike for some reason. Probably good for a couple hours of riding.

Even still, for riding any sort of distance, a supported sole is nice. Even a sole with some rigidity is a plus. It doesn’t have to be one where you need to waddle to walk around.

I think, not sure, there are a few companies that make walkable cycling shoes that can be used with quill or platform pedals. That would be my choice for any distances. I do use a semi-rigid touring shoe with my road bike, as I think there are foot support benefits without the lack of walking issues with totally rigid cycling shoes.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 04-26-22, 11:13 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Whether someone needs a cycling shoe or not probably depends on the type of pedal, mileage, and maybe how well a person’s foot can absorb abuse.
John
I liked your post because I thought you did a really good job of explaining your choices, but I'll go you one further on the above--people's feet are so different that what one person finds efficient and comfortable is going to be abuse for another.

I have ridiculously big big toes, so fitting that is a huge priority for me because if I get it wrong, it's many miles of agony. I can tell you just by looking at a shoe that it won't accommodate that. That's way more important to me than any small marginal gain I might get with a stiffer sole or whatever.
Old 04-26-22, 11:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by tcs
Remember that guy, Lachlan Morton, who left the 2021 ToF start after the peloton, rode all the stages unsupported AND rode the transfers AND got to Paris five days before the race finish?

Obviously, he was in heavy denial.
Old 04-26-22, 11:26 AM
dirtchurch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Love bike shoes that clip in. They're super durable and comfortable in the long run. They also last way longer than other sport-related shoes because of their construction.
Old 04-26-22, 11:36 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

I don’t know if anyone makes a semi-rigid insole that will help support the foot while riding. Something that a person can just slide into any shoe.

Aside from the shoes being positively attached to a pedal, I’m not sure there is any difference if the shoe provides adequate support. Not necessarily for performance gains, but more for comfort.

If most pedaling force is applied to the ball of the foot on a pedal, the arch has to do a lot of work to keep the heel from collapsing.

While a lot of sports, like basketball, tennis, etc., people push off/change direction using the balls of their feet, they don’t land on the balls of their feet.

Protecting the arch probably has some merit.

John
Old 04-26-22, 12:01 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
No. I rode hundreds of miles last year around a well-known time trial circuit that many, many cyclists use to practice daily on. Very many of them have all of the trick equipment, carbon fiber bikes, cycling shoes, all of the tight-fitting cycling clothing, computers and aero-helmets and fancy time-trial or triathalon bars. In the hundreds of miles I rode with them last season, after I had had a heart-attack and heart surgery in April, The only one of these riders I could not keep up with, like myself, had none of this listed equipment at all. And I was riding a 34-pound Huffy ten-speed or my 25-year old mountain-bike. My ten-speed just had flat metal pedals, the mountainbike has standard pedals with straps, which are very loose fit so I don't get stuck in them in a crash. I had Shimano shoes and Time atac pedals back in the 1990s when I did some racing, and I was faster back then, but being young had a lot to do with that.

I really enjoy just going out into the garage with whatever I am casually wearing and jumping on a bike and riding, and riding alone or non-competitively is the most fun there is. Competition costs and kills. Instead of improving by buying equipment, just improve by learning to enjoy bicycling without it, then you will win every time you ride. It is nice to not have to mess with any special cycling clothing or equipment, it is really freeing, like how you rode when you were a little kid. And it is funny to watch all of those people with their carbon road-bikes and cycling clothing, their fat-tire bikes and other trendy garbage, not getting any more and usually much less out of cycling than the average eight-year old riding down the sidewalk does.
Old 04-26-22, 02:07 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
If you like the way bike shoes, with or without cleats, feels, well there you go. I like to wear whatever footwear I'm in the mood for. I use BMX pedals with loafers, hiking shoes, light trail shoes, sandals, and I've even ridden in Crocs. Most of my rides are 30 miles or less and all these cause me no pain or discomfort. Year ago I used to clip in and had bike shoes, but now I'm into comfort and simplicity. I don't think to much about speed or efficiency. Climbing with BMX pedals is not a problem. My feet don't move because of the little spikes on the pedals. Whatever you like is what you should ride in.
Old 04-26-22, 03:55 PM
toto34

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No, unless you race
Old 04-26-22, 06:00 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 294 Times in 207 Posts
Not necessary.

More comfortable, especially on longer rides, or when trying to go as fast as possible.
Old 04-26-22, 06:36 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
… it is funny to watch all of those people with their carbon road-bikes and cycling clothing, their fat-tire bikes and other trendy garbage, not getting any more and usually much less out of cycling than the average eight-year old riding down the sidewalk does.
i am curious how you know that those people aren’t getting “more” out of cycling than a rider who has a casual attitude towards their gear, 8 year old or otherwise?

i don’t really get the BF self-righteousness about *not* using some random piece of gear. it’s just as bad as being self righteous and smug because you *do* have a bunch of expensive stuff.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 04-26-22, 07:06 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
No. I rode hundreds of miles last year around a well-known time trial circuit that many, many cyclists use to practice daily on. Very many of them have all of the trick equipment, carbon fiber bikes, cycling shoes, all of the tight-fitting cycling clothing, computers and aero-helmets and fancy time-trial or triathalon bars. In the hundreds of miles I rode with them last season, after I had had a heart-attack and heart surgery in April, The only one of these riders I could not keep up with, like myself, had none of this listed equipment at all. And I was riding a 34-pound Huffy ten-speed or my 25-year old mountain-bike. My ten-speed just had flat metal pedals, the mountainbike has standard pedals with straps, which are very loose fit so I don't get stuck in them in a crash. I had Shimano shoes and Time atac pedals back in the 1990s when I did some racing, and I was faster back then, but being young had a lot to do with that.
So what would Occam's Razor say is the more simply explained scenario? That all of these people were earnestly racing you and that, lo and behold, the two anti-snob snobs came out on top, despite their very distinct, significant, and quantifiable disadvantages? Or that nobody gave two rips about proving themselves to some CAT6ing curmudgeons and they were more preoccupied with whatever they had on the docket for the day?
Old 04-26-22, 07:41 PM
beng1
Banned

Originally Posted by WhyFi
So what would Occam's Razor say ?
It would say this, If it is important enough to someone to spend thousands on racing equipment for their daily rides, or they need to participate in what is fashionable and trendy to the point where they will spend thousands of dollars for their daily ride, then yes competing is very important to them on more than one level. And of course I was there and you were not. You can tell what others on bicycles are thinking by their actions in traffic as easily as you can tell a lot about automobile drives are thinking by their actions in traffic, or at least you should be able to...........
Old 04-26-22, 07:49 PM
beng1
Banned

Originally Posted by mschwett
i am curious how you know that those people aren’t getting “more” out of cycling than a rider who has a casual attitude towards their gear, 8 year old or otherwise?
i don’t really get the BF self-righteousness about *not* using some random piece of gear. it’s just as bad as being self righteous and smug because you *do* have a bunch of expensive stuff.
Happy to oblige. If there are two people who ride bicycles regularly, and one can enjoy their riding with whatever fate hands them, and the other needs thousands of dollars in fashionable, trendy equipment to enjoy riding then ???

Next, Sorry but I don't know what "BF" means. Also "random piece of gear" has no meaning, because the thread is about cycling shoes, so there is nothing random about the subject at all. I would never generalize, as you did, about all who flock to, or abhor, fancy cycling equipment are "smug", but I am sure that those who go to the trouble to have what is expensive, fashionable and trendy are far more likely to have some sort of problem than those who do not. Your welcome..........
Old 04-26-22, 07:49 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
It would say this, If it is important enough to someone to spend thousands on racing equipment for their daily rides, or they need to participate in what is fashionable and trendy to the point where they will spend thousands of dollars for their daily ride, then yes competing is very important to them on more than one level.
This may be jarring to your ego, but it's likely that they didn't see you as competition.

And of course I was there and you were not.
I read enough to be familiar with unreliable narrators.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-26-22, 09:10 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
Happy to oblige. If there are two people who ride bicycles regularly, and one can enjoy their riding with whatever fate hands them, and the other needs thousands of dollars in fashionable, trendy equipment to enjoy riding then ???

Next, Sorry but I don't know what "BF" means. Also "random piece of gear" has no meaning, because the thread is about cycling shoes, so there is nothing random about the subject at all. I would never generalize, as you did, about all who flock to, or abhor, fancy cycling equipment are "smug", but I am sure that those who go to the trouble to have what is expensive, fashionable and trendy are far more likely to have some sort of problem than those who do not. Your welcome..........
BF = bikeForums. I rarely see this attituded expressed so confidently as here.

Since you referenced "thousands of dollars in fashionable, trendy equipment" I assumed you were not just talking about shoes, since shoes don't cost thousands of dollars. It seems random to associate all that other stuff with shoes in a thread about shoes, but you made the connection.

Anyway, it's VERY impressive that you can tell just by looking at someone you've never met and the way they ride their bike that they "need" thousands of dollars in equipment to enjoy riding their bike. Or, wait for it ..... they could really enjoy riding, and really enjoy "nice" equipment, and enjoy riding even more with certain equipment. I'll make it personal: I love riding my commuter in whatever shoes i'm wearing, kids in tow, for 10 minutes or an hour or four. I ALSO love riding my "fashionable, trendy equipment" and find the feeling of being clipped in with lightweight, breathable, stiff soled shoes quite different, very refreshing, and a ****load of fun. and either one of those activities is more fun than i had riding a bike at 8.

That's the last I'll say on the subject, since clearly you would know more about someone's feelings about cycling and cycling equipment from just looking at them!
Old 04-26-22, 09:18 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2676 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 347 Posts

A little while ago both of my brakes started getting worse mid ride (cheap disc brakes I hate them…) and I suddenly found myself unable to slow down on a steep descent. Had to use my foot to stop the rear wheel, which took a chunk off of these soft soled running shoes. Had I had my five ten mtb shoes on, the shoe would of had more stopping power and wouldn’t have gotten ripped apart.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 04-26-22, 09:37 PM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
If you’re not going to go out and bust your ass for 3 hours, no, you don’t need special bike shoes.

If you’re going to go out and average 20-22+ for 3 hours, yes, you need bike shoes.

I like riding my MTB in sneakers at 7mph because I can get off and walk in the woods if I want to, but when I get on my road bike, no.

The MTB is play, the road bike is work.
Likes For A350driver:
Old 04-26-22, 09:39 PM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs

And what was his average speed for that ride?

Yeah…..
Old 04-27-22, 03:18 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 2,954 Posts
These shoe threads are great for bringing out the anti-cycling gear crowd. On a dedicated bike forum too, lol

Of course some non-cycling specific shoes happen to be quite reasonable for cycling, but actual cycling shoes (whether they be clipless or for use on flat pedals) are usually the best IME. It's almost as if they were designed for the task.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-27-22, 08:40 AM
70sSanO

I think there is a cycling shoe debate because the cycling industry has told people who ride platform pedals that they don’t need cycling shoes.

For the most part, (there are a couple of exceptions), no one in the industry makes non-clipless cycling shoes.

If the majority of the people in the world ride bikes without clipless pedals, just a guess, then it is no wonder that there is a debate.

I personally think there is a huge gap that could be filled by offering a well supported platform cycling shoe, but obviously the industry, and most riders who use platform pedals, disagree.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 04-27-22 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-27-22, 08:57 AM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I use clipless on my road and gravel bikes... basically any bike with drop bars. My mountain bikes... I use regular hiking shoes.
Old 04-27-22, 09:25 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Nothing is necessary. I have used cycling shoes for the last 50 years. I find them more comfortable for long distances. I also don't like MY regular sneakers for riding a any bike. When I was at PT for rehab on my leg, the PT would put me on a exercise bike and with my regular shoes I would have heel strike, I got a cheap pair of platform cycling shoes and it had narrower heels, no more heel strike.

On my bikes that I am riding outdoors currently I am using platform pedals and ride with platform cycling shoes, when I feel more comfortable with unclipping I will get back to using my SPD shoes and pedals on my rides.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.