Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Lost 103 Lbs and not done yet

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-31-22, 09:49 PM
Charlie Ky
Otis Fan

Bikes: Specialized Roll 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 12 Posts

I'm an odd bird of sorts. 64 yo widower and very fortunate in many ways. My health is, according to my pcp, surprisingly good considering my history of poor diet and smoking. I met the covid thing head on. When it hit I had 4 comorbidities. Obesity, hypertension, pre-diabetes, and copd (which quitting smoking allowed me to not need to reach for my inhaler).
15 months ago I weighed 269 lbs, was prescribed a 4th blood pressure med, and doc talked to me about insulin. Also told me I wouldn't fare well if I caught covid. a1c was ~ 6.5 iirc. So I told him to give me 3 months.

Fast forward to March 3rd of this year, I weighed 176, have my blood pressure in the low normal range for the first time in decades, and my a1c was 5.2. Lower than docs lol. He took me off all but 1 bp med and told me I could stop taking metformin. This morning I weighed 166. Two more pounds and I'm out of the overweight range.

So yes, in a way I turned covid into a positive thing. Made me do my research and beat 3 of 4 comorbidities. Whole foods, exercise, and tossing the smokes. And meticulous study and application of glycemic index and glycemic load of foods. If it raises my blood glucose over 125, I stop eating it. Works.

I was struggling to lose my visceral fat, so I bought a bike. Now it's melting away. I've gone from size 48 pants and 3X shirts to 32 pants and medium shirts. Did it safe too. Lost a safe rate of less than two pounds a week. Oh, forgot to mention my cholesterol and triglycerides were sky high when I started. Now both are normal range.

Doc told me I don't need to lose more weight but my goal is to fit into size 30 pants. Should make it by July 4th easily.

I feel fantastic and my 1 hr rides are my new fave exercise.

Last edited by Charlie Ky; 05-31-22 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-31-22, 09:56 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
So nice to hear this... BRAVO!!!
Old 05-31-22, 09:58 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Ky
I'm an odd bird of sorts. 64 yo widower and very fortunate in many ways. My health is, according to my pcp, surprisingly good considering my history of poor diet and smoking. I met the covid thing head on. When it hit I had 4 comorbidities. Obesity, hypertension, pre-diabetes, and copd (which quitting smoking allowed me to not need to reach for my inhaler).
15 months ago I weighed 269 lbs, was prescribed a 4th blood pressure med, and doc talked to me about insulin. Also told me I wouldn't care well if I caught covid. a1c was ~ 6.5 iirc. So I told him to give me 3 months.

Fast forward to March 3rd of this year, I weighed 176, have my blood pressure in the low normal range for the first time in decades, and my a1c was 5.2. Lower than docs lol. He took me off all but 1 bp med and told me I could stop taking metformin. This morning I weighed 166. Two more pounds and I'm out of the overweight range.

So yes, in a way I turned covid into a positive thing. Made me do my research and beat 3 of 4 comorbidities. Whole foods, exercise, and tossing the smokes. And meticulous study and application of glycemic index and glycemic load of foods. If it raises my blood glucose over 125, I stop eating it. Works.

I was struggling to lose my visceral fat, so I bought a bike. Now it's melting away. I've gone from size 48 pants and 3X shirts to 32 pants and medium shirts. Did it safe too. Lost a safe rate of less than two pounds a week. Oh, forgot to mention my cholesterol and triglycerides were sky high when I started. Now both are normal range.

Doc told me I don't need to lose more weight but my goal is to fit into size 30 pants. Should make it by July 4th easily.

absolutely awesome. BRAVO
Likes For mschwett:
Old 05-31-22, 10:12 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Good work! I'm five years older. Freshman year in college I was drinking beer (newly legal), partying and climbing to lifetime weight highs. (Just over 165 but in my worst condition.) I heard the quiet voice saying that I should never weigh more than 165, that my body simply could not handle it and stay healthy. I actually heard it. Haven't crossed that line since. I start dieting at 160.

Had I not heard that little voice, I might well have followed a path similar to yours and I don't know if I'd find my way back. Never smoked - blessed with a very strong family - but I had a brush with opioids in high school and had someone looking after me. That was at my deepest depression and had things gone differently ...

So, welcome back to the light and healthy! Hang around!
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-31-22, 11:50 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Wow. What a great story.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 06-01-22, 12:24 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
Good on ya, Always nice to se such a post. It takes big commitment to remove so much of ones self.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 06-01-22, 04:08 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 702 Posts
Hurray for you and cycling!
Old 06-01-22, 05:21 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
15 months ago I weighed 269 lbs, was prescribed a 4th blood pressure med, and doc talked to me about insulin. Also told me I wouldn't fare well if I caught covid. a1c was ~ 6.5 iirc. So I told him to give me 3 months.

125 is not that high.

Do you limit the total grams of carbs per day?

I was able to keep my blood sugar down only by being on a ketogenic diet with 50-100 grams max per day of carbs and only low GI ones. If I rode a lot, I would eat upwards of 100 grams of carbs but if not riding, I kept it to 50 grams. I only lost 64 pounds in several months and 82 lbs total over a year.....I guess close to 10 years ago. I need to drop a few now.

How many times per day to you measure sugar? The finger sticks are a pain. Or, did you just learn what foods not to eat?
Old 06-01-22, 05:39 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 257 Posts
Well done...
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 06-01-22, 07:36 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Charlie Ky Outstanding!
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 06-01-22, 07:50 AM
Charlie Ky
Otis Fan

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
125 is not that high.

Do you limit the total grams of carbs per day?

I was able to keep my blood sugar down only by being on a ketogenic diet with 50-100 grams max per day of carbs and only low GI ones. If I rode a lot, I would eat upwards of 100 grams of carbs but if not riding, I kept it to 50 grams. I only lost 64 pounds in several months and 82 lbs total over a year.....I guess close to 10 years ago. I need to drop a few now.

How many times per day to you measure sugar? The finger sticks are a pain. Or, did you just learn what foods not to eat?
Yes, 125 is kind of strict/extreme. My doctor said as much, but told me it was fine if I wanted to run with it. It works, and that's all I care about.

As far as net carbs I shoot for 60-70 grams a day. I'm not that strict on it though. I'm sure some days I may wind up eating more. I've never noticed any signs of ketosis. My doctor said I'm not a good candidate for a Keto diet so I just said ok without asking why. My body tells me if I'm not getting enough carbs and my scale tells me if I'm getting too many lol.

My glucose routine was checking my fasting number in the morning, which at first was way too high. Talking 130 avg. Also my daily avg was in the 120's. I was waking every morning with my toes numb and tingling.

I started eating foods individually and checking my blood glucose before and after I ate them. About a half hour before I ate them I would take 500 mg of metformin with at least 8 oz of water. They were non-extended release so I split them in 4's so they would dissolve faster. Then I'd check my bg after I ate the food. Usually around 45 minutes to and hour and a half after I ate. Reading over 125-128 ? That food went on the no eat list.

I was checking my bg after before and after every meal for months. Even if I ate a few berries for a snack. My fingers never got sore because I just used a different finger forever reading.

So yes, my method identified what foods I could eat and not eat and the past 5 months or so, most days I just checked my fasting bg. And if I feel a little tired I'll check to make sure it's not too low. For me, it seems 82-83 is always the number when I'm feeling sluggish.
​​​​​

My numbness in my toes didn't take long to subside after I started eating right and nowadays my fasting bg is in the 90's. Daily avg is 100 or less.

One thing I tried was taking Berberine with my metaformin. After a couple of days doing so My bg numbers went down even on low glycemic load meals. I was taking 500 mg of metformin three times a day. The past week I've been taking only 250 mg of metformin three times a day and a berberine capsule with the metaformin if I eat a higher carb food like black beans. So far so good. I think beginning today I will taper off the metaformin and continue to take the berberine twice a day.

My staple foods : blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, oranges, wild caught Alaskan pink salmon, dark chocolate 88% cocoa, natural peanut butter with no salt or sugar added, leafy green veggies, chicken breast, black beans, quinoa, lentils, boiled eggs, an Atkins shake one or two a day, brussel sprouts, broccoli, whole husk psyllium two or three times a day, Kool-Aid sweetened with erythritol, three or four cups of coffee a day, spinach, salad with tomatoes, lettuce, mushrooms, celery, with shredded cheese thrown in occasionally. I also eat edamame pasta and black bean spaghetti. I put a minimal amount of olive oil on the pasta and some Parmesan Romano cheese. I drink quite a bit of unsweetened almond milk. Beet juice, just a around 12 oz a week, ~ a couple of ounces a day. Low sodium veggie juice, just a swing or two 3-4 time a day. And water of course.

Good luck on shedding a few pounds. If you are like me, riding makes it easier. My visceral fat is stubborn but riding is chopping it away. Finally.
Likes For Charlie Ky:
Old 06-01-22, 07:55 AM
Charlie Ky
Otis Fan

Thanks for all the congrats everyone. Just takes a little research and diligence !
Likes For Charlie Ky:
Old 06-01-22, 07:57 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 2,601 Times in 930 Posts
Congrats. That is good work!
Likes For locolobo13:
Old 06-01-22, 08:06 AM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Yes, 125 is kind of strict/extreme. My doctor said as much, but told me it was fine if I wanted to run with it. It works, and that's all I care about.

As far as net carbs I shoot for 60-70 grams a day. I'm not that strict on it though. I'm sure some days I may wind up eating more. I've never noticed any signs of ketosis. My doctor said I'm not a good candidate for a Keto diet so I just said ok without asking why. My body tells me if I'm not getting enough carbs and my scale tells me if I'm getting too many lol.

My glucose routine was checking my fasting number in the morning, which at first was way too high. Talking 130 avg. Also my daily avg was in the 120's. I was waking every morning with my toes numb and tingling.

I started eating foods individually and checking my blood glucose before and after I ate them. About a half hour before I ate them I would take 500 mg of metformin with at least 8 oz of water. They were non-extended release so I split them in 4's so they would dissolve faster. Then I'd check my bg after I ate the food. Usually around 45 minutes to and hour and a half after I ate. Reading over 125-128 ? That food went on the no eat list.

I was checking my bg after before and after every meal for months. Even if I ate a few berries for a snack. My fingers never got sore because I just used a different finger forever reading.

So yes, my method identified what foods I could eat and not eat and the past 5 months or so, most days I just checked my fasting bg. And if I feel a little tired I'll check to make sure it's not too low. For me, it seems 82-83 is always the number when I'm feeling sluggish.
​​​​​

My numbness in my toes didn't take long to subside after I started eating right and nowadays my fasting bg is in the 90's. Daily avg is 100 or less.

One thing I tried was taking Berberine with my metaformin. After a couple of days doing so My bg numbers went down even on low glycemic load meals. I was taking 500 mg of metformin three times a day. The past week I've been taking only 250 mg of metformin three times a day and a berberine capsule with the metaformin if I eat a higher carb food like black beans. So far so good. I think beginning today I will taper off the metaformin and continue to take the berberine twice a day.

My staple foods : blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, oranges, wild caught Alaskan pink salmon, dark chocolate 88% cocoa, natural peanut butter with no salt or sugar added, leafy green veggies, chicken breast, black beans, quinoa, lentils, boiled eggs, an Atkins shake one or two a day, brussel sprouts, broccoli, whole husk psyllium two or three times a day, Kool-Aid sweetened with erythritol, three or four cups of coffee a day, spinach, salad with tomatoes, lettuce, mushrooms, celery, with shredded cheese thrown in occasionally. I also eat edamame pasta and black bean spaghetti. I put a minimal amount of olive oil on the pasta and some Parmesan Romano cheese. I drink quite a bit of unsweetened almond milk. Beet juice, just a around 12 oz a week, ~ a couple of ounces a day. Low sodium veggie juice, just a swing or two 3-4 time a day. And water of course.

Good luck on shedding a few pounds. If you are like me, riding makes it easier. My visceral fat is stubborn but riding is chopping it away. Finally.
Thank you for sharing those details.

My problem is my italian wife who loves pasta, potatoes and pizza or my lack of will.

I used to start the day with a double espresso and coconut oil before going to work. Rarely ate breakfast but if I did it was eggs. The client company (big Pharma) had an unbelievable cafeteria and I would make a mixed vegetable salad out of either arugula or spinach as a foundation. No snacks. Dinner would be a protein, salad, and either a vegetable or maybe a sweet potato. All of my riding was pretty slow and easy but lots of miles. I lost 5 pounds of fat in a good week. I don't need to go so drastic now. I am riding 15 hours a week and the weight is not coming down, so, I have to try something and I like your approach. I have a couple meters, just need to buy the strips and probably a battery. Maybe I am starting to get diabetes, my feet tingle.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 06-01-22, 08:45 AM
Charlie Ky
Otis Fan

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Thank you for sharing those details.

My problem is my italian wife who loves pasta, potatoes and pizza or my lack of will.

I used to start the day with a double espresso and coconut oil before going to work. Rarely ate breakfast but if I did it was eggs. The client company (big Pharma) had an unbelievable cafeteria and I would make a mixed vegetable salad out of either arugula or spinach as a foundation. No snacks. Dinner would be a protein, salad, and either a vegetable or maybe a sweet potato. All of my riding was pretty slow and easy but lots of miles. I lost 5 pounds of fat in a good week. I don't need to go so drastic now. I am riding 15 hours a week and the weight is not coming down, so, I have to try something and I like your approach. I have a couple meters, just need to buy the strips and probably a battery. Maybe I am starting to get diabetes, my feet tingle.
Yes, do start checking your blood glucose before and after your meals. You'll soon identify which foods spike your blood glucose too much. If your meter is over 4-5 years old you may consider a new one. Mine is a Reli On Premier Classic. Very inexpensive at Walmart as are the strips and lancets. I took mine with me on an office visit and compared the reading to my doctor's meter and it's accurate.

As far as pasta, check out this black bean spaghetti nutrient label...

Your looking at ~ 9 grams of net carbs per serving. (Total grams carbs minus grams fiber)

The glycemic index of black beans is 30.
30 (GI) x 9 (net carbs) / 100 = 2.7 (glycemic load)

A glycemic load of less than 10 is the target. 2.7 is excellent.

Edamame pasta is great as well. Both are high nutrients and can be prepared in 15 minutes or less.

Anyhow, go ahead and start checking your blood glucose. If it's diabetes related get to work !
Likes For Charlie Ky:
Old 06-01-22, 09:02 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
As far as pasta, check out this black bean spaghetti nutrient label...
With something so low in carbs, high in fiber, and high in protein, it's simple to add it to mostly vegetables and end up with a nutritious dish. Even if one doesn't add separate meat/fish.

Haven't seen any such, in the markets, but I'll certainly be looking. Mostly do lentils, myself, instead of beans, rice or pasta. And spaghatti is rare. But I'd certainly occasionally do this black bean spaghetti, with a nutrient profile like that.

BTW, what's the brand name on that one?
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 06-01-22, 10:02 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
I'm stunned. What you did is amazing. Congratulations. And, I sit here *****ing 'cause I can't lose 10 lbs. Damn.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 06-01-22, 10:47 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 543 Posts
Congratulations on the amazing accomplishments. Takes a lot of conviction and discipline.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 06-01-22, 11:36 AM
Charlie Ky
Otis Fan

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
With something so low in carbs, high in fiber, and high in protein, it's simple to add it to mostly vegetables and end up with a nutritious dish. Even if one doesn't add separate meat/fish.

Haven't seen any such, in the markets, but I'll certainly be looking. Mostly do lentils, myself, instead of beans, rice or pasta. And spaghatti is rare. But I'd certainly occasionally do this black bean spaghetti, with a nutrient profile like that.

BTW, what's the brand name on that one?
Explore Cuisine is the black bean. Starpoint Farms is the edamame brand I use.

I get mine at Kroger. Most decent health food stores probably have them.
Likes For Charlie Ky:
Old 06-01-22, 06:45 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
Congratulations, I'm glad for your health. Yes, whole foods are one of the secret ingedients to maintaining a prefered weight and experiencing good health.
Likes For takenreasy:
Old 06-01-22, 07:33 PM
Vefer

Bikes: Trek 4300, '84 Trek 400,'88 Trek, 85 Trek 720 560, 82 Motobecane Randonee, 75 Schwinn Collegiate, Schwinn Sierra, '84 Trek 890, 2001 Trek 5200 OCLV USPS, 99 Trek Y Foil

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Excellent job!!!!!!! Congrats to you! Real Food and bikes! perfect combo
Likes For Vefer:
Old 06-01-22, 08:35 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,424 Times in 2,825 Posts
Unbelievable dedication with such high payoffs. You are truly a role model.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 06-01-22, 09:33 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
You need more bikes.
Old 06-01-22, 09:52 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 561 Posts
So I'm curious ... what advice would you give to someone else in the same position you were in? I know everyone is different and there is no magic bullet ... just wondering what you think.

Old 06-01-22, 10:41 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 69 Posts
Incredible! My hearty compliments. Keep up the good work.
Likes For jackb:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.