Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Patching bike tubes with older bike tubes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-22, 11:39 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts

I know there's probably no point but I have a bunch of old bike tubes I just don't want to throw into landfill.

The patched tubes that are holding air are installed on my bikes as I keep new tubes as spares during my ride.

But I have seven patched tubes that still leak and seem to be a bit of a challenge patching on top of patches. So I'm wondering if anybody has actually cut out whole sections of bike tubes to patch another as a boot?
Old 06-05-22, 01:30 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Patched tubes that leak are either a consequence of a structural issue, puncture next to the vent or damage inside the vent, or of incompetent patching. The number of the tubes that leak and the specific call for the remedy suggest that second. I would work on those tubes, treating all or some of them as the training ground, removing patches if necessary, and get to the level where all patched tubes, aside when there is a structural issue, work predictably flawlessly.
Old 06-05-22, 04:21 PM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by 2_i
Patched tubes that leak are either a consequence of a structural issue, puncture next to the vent or damage inside the vent, or of incompetent patching. The number of the tubes that leak and the specific call for the remedy suggest that second. I would work on those tubes, treating all or some of them as the training ground, removing patches if necessary, and get to the level where all patched tubes, aside when there is a structural issue, work predictably flawlessly.
Incompetent patching is the most likely. So, what you're saying is that I should just remove the patches and practice instead of cutting up old tubes. Those old tubes have broken or missing stems- the result of breaking when using a cheap pump that doesn't have a flexible hose.
Old 06-05-22, 05:08 PM
Crankycrank

Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
I tried the old-tube-scraps-patch trick, and it was iffy at best. You need to clean off one side of the patch real well, then scuff it up, then use some proper vulcanizing fluid, clamp for a little while and sometimes it works. I just use Rema patches now which are permanent. I'm cheap and have extra time to spare but even for me using old cut up pieces of tube were not worth it. Maybe for emergencies only.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 06-06-22, 01:06 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Incompetent patching is the most likely. So, what you're saying is that I should just remove the patches and practice instead of cutting up old tubes. Those old tubes have broken or missing stems- the result of breaking when using a cheap pump that doesn't have a flexible hose.
Yes, if a patch leaks, just tear it off, clean up the area and put on a new one. There is no shame in stumbling - you can become a master by practice and analyzing why you failed when you did so. As to the stems, Rema even sells kits for their repair, but, in my recollection, they are for the valves in the larger, more expensive tubes for agricultural vehicles, where such a repair makes economic sense.

As to the use of old tubes for patches, as Crankycrank says, it is principally possible. However, such patches are more likely to fail than the dedicated patches. The latter are made from softer rubber than the original tubes and are tapered at the edges. That is to facilitate for the patch to expand in sync with the patched tube underneath and to prevent glued edges from peeling off. You could use a grinder to taper the edges of a patch from an old tube, but the product will likely not be as good as a commercial patch, and you will not jump over the greater hardness of the rubber than desired.
Old 06-06-22, 06:15 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Discussed numerous times

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...-material.html

​​​​​​https://www.google.com/search?q=usin...&bih=617&dpr=1
Old 06-06-22, 10:34 AM
Daniel4

Originally Posted by dedhed
It's inevitable someone will either remind you about an old thread or criticize you for resurrecting a zombie thread.