Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Praxis Albe 2x to 1x

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Praxis Albe 2x to 1x

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-22, 11:02 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
Praxis Albe 2x to 1x

I want to convert my 2x crankset to 1x on my giant revolt.
I have Praxis Albe 2D with 5 bolts @ 110 bcd

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/revolt-advanced-2
Crankset Praxis Albe 2D, 48/32

Can I replace my 2x chainring with this single 1x chainring ?
https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Narro...8-4&th=1&psc=1

Do I need to buy shorter bolts or spacers since I am only using a single chaingring ?

Old 06-15-22, 11:40 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
If you’re not going to run a bash guard to take the place of the outer ring, you’ll need shorter bolts. Modern bike has them by the shedload
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 06-15-22, 12:00 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
Alba.

It's a (very steep) road near here. (Much of the area, including the little red schoolhouse, burned a couple of years ago.)

As suggested, the bash guard replacing the outer ring is the way to go. From the photo, it looks like you spend most of your time on the outer ring.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 06-15-22, 12:27 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
if you go 46 only with the 11/34 cassette you will not have much low end. which could be a problem if you ride say Kennedy road or up mount Hamilton

might not matter if you are an absolute beast, but if you need low end at all you might want to reconsider the move

Old 06-15-22, 12:43 PM
sean.hwy

Seems like I am always on the 32 front 40t back. Hills are killing me here. ha-ha but yeah I guess as a percentage of time/miles it's mostly the outer ring.

Strava says
2020 5000 miles / 182,000 feet
2021 6000 miles / 296,000 feet
2022 2800 miles / 213,000 feet

not sure if that make me a flat lander I don't know what the ratio to miles to feet is for climber vs flatlander
Old 06-15-22, 12:49 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
You averaged 36 ft/mile in 2020, 49 ft/mile in 2021, and 76 ft/mile so far in 2022. That seems fairly hilly to me, though I suppose everyone's definition of "hilly" will vary, right?
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 06-15-22, 12:52 PM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by squirtdad
if you go 46 only with the 11/34 cassette you will not have much low end. which could be a problem if you ride say Kennedy road or up mount Hamilton

might not matter if you are an absolute beast, but if you need low end at all you might want to reconsider the move
I am the opposite between age and motorcycle accident. I had surgery on both knees. so I tend to us a lower gear than most people for the same grade.

I have an Ibis MX that I am converting to 2x. I took some parts off my Giant. The Giant revolt is the better off road bike and the Ibis if the faster road/gravel bike. For Hamilton I can probably get by with 1 to 1 ratio for quimby or umunhum I need/want a 20% bigger rear cassette to the front.
More power to the people that can climb hills with a 36 front and 28 rear. I would be walking or my knees would be sore the day after.
Old 06-15-22, 01:00 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I think we may not be clear on exactly what you're looking to do. The picture you posted is of a 46T chain ring, so I think it "read" like you wanted to convert your 48T/32T 2x into a 46T 1x. I see from the Amazon link that those chain rings go down to 36T, so maybe you want a 36T 1x? Then you said later that it seemed like you're always in the 32T low ring, but then said most of your riding is in the large ring...then your last post talks about wanting so spin more than mash.

I think your general question has been answered: you'd use shorter chain ring bolts if going to 1x without a chain guard. On where you install the ring...on the inside or outside position...you'll want to look at your current chain line and how much chain ring clearance you have at the chain stay. If there's room for it, installing the ring in the inner position would probably favor the larger sprockets in the back, in terms of chain line. Installing the ring in the outer position would probably favor the smaller sprockets in the back. As long as there's chain stay clearance for your new chain ring in either position, you can install it either way.
Old 06-15-22, 01:43 PM
sean.hwy

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I think we may not be clear on exactly what you're looking to do. The picture you posted is of a 46T chain ring, so I think it "read" like you wanted to convert your 48T/32T 2x into a 46T 1x. I see from the Amazon link that those chain rings go down to 36T, so maybe you want a 36T 1x? Then you said later that it seemed like you're always in the 32T low ring, but then said most of your riding is in the large ring...then your last post talks about wanting so spin more than mash.

I think your general question has been answered: you'd use shorter chain ring bolts if going to 1x without a chain guard. On where you install the ring...on the inside or outside position...you'll want to look at your current chain line and how much chain ring clearance you have at the chain stay. If there's room for it, installing the ring in the inner position would probably favor the larger sprockets in the back, in terms of chain line. Installing the ring in the outer position would probably favor the smaller sprockets in the back. As long as there's chain stay clearance for your new chain ring in either position, you can install it either way.
sorry about that.

my only question was can I use my current crankset (arms and axel) and just buy 1x with the link provided above. If the answer was yes do I need short bolts. That was answered. thank you.

The rest was just answering other peoples questions. I ride a lot of gravel and road hills. Before I get to the hills there's a lot of flat road till I get there.

typical ride right? lot's of flats and hills? so I used the outer ring and the inner ring a lot. lol

TL;DR
I took the grx 810 front and rear derailleur from the giant and installed it on the Ibis MX
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/revolt-advanced-2

I took the the rear Shimano GRX RX812 Shadow Plus from the Ibis and put it on the giant.
https://shop.sportsbasement.com/products/hakka-mx-grx

I bought the 48/32 from praxis for the ibis
https://praxiscycles.com/product/levatime-ii-x-kit/

SHIMANO Dura-Ace FD-R9150 Front Derailleur Adapter Black, 34.9mm
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M7P2X5F...roduct_details

the hardest part was tracking down a left brake/shifter for Shimano GRX ST-RX810 Hydraulic Brake Lever/Shifter ( everyone has just the brake or brake dropper post combo ) guess most people want 1x
Likes For sean.hwy: