Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Michelin Power Road Review

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Michelin Power Road Review

Old 03-26-21, 10:17 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Reason 8,234 that I charge a lot of money to set up tubeless.
When it comes to road/gravel tires, how common is it that a tire/rim combo doesn't stay bead-locked when deflated? So far, I've only run in to one combo that wouldn't stay put, so I'm curious to know if it's as uncommon as my experience leads me to believe.
Old 03-26-21, 10:24 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
When it comes to road/gravel tires, how common is it that a tire/rim combo doesn't stay bead-locked when deflated? So far, I've only run in to one combo that wouldn't stay put, so I'm curious to know if it's as uncommon as my experience leads me to believe.
Oh I'd easily say the number that stay locked is far outweighed by those that don't. Again when you're in an area that is mostly mtb usage then you have tons of people that run tubeless and more gear that's designed for it. Here it's always a "new thing" for most people and we are converting older stuff. Stuff that is tubeless in name but doesn't play nice. Newer stuff sets up well but I have even had one of our go-to's (panaracer gravel kings and Velocity Ailerons) pop the bead after sitting too long. They usually go right back but most of what i end up working with doesn't.

Imagine 10 year old rim brake cross bikes with rims that were OEM that have a tubeless "shape". "Rob...these can be tubeless right? I just don't want to buy new stuff."

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 03-27-21, 01:52 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Ugh. This is why I only want tires that stay bead-locked when deflated - I don't want to have sealant sloshing around when I get them seated.
Just another reason why I didn't like tubeless and will stick with the simplicity of tubes.
Old 03-27-21, 02:03 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by dmanthree
Just another reason why I didn't like tubeless and will stick with the simplicity of tubes.
Cool. I don't like addressing flats on the side of the road and am proficient enough that tubeless isn't complicated. Horses for courses.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-27-21, 03:09 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Yeah... mileage on parts on bikes really doesn't do anything for me. On all components it's so different. Personal variables, terrain, weight, riding style, etc. Then to top it all off there's the je ne sais quoi - the variable that no one can explain. Like the mystery variable that leads some people to get more flats than anyone else in their group even with the same tires, pressure, weight, etc.

All mileages with regard to performance, should be given in "less than, about the same, more than, around twice more" terms when comparing to previous use.

In this case the OP could have said "At this point I have enough wear to imply I might get between 35-40% more wear out of these than I do out of Conti 4000's ...YMMV" but what fun would that be. It's way more interesting to argue about minutia over the internet.
Uh...no brand comparisons here! I'll leave that holy war for another thread. Like the tubed vs tubeless "discussions" that occur every so often.
Old 03-27-21, 09:10 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Ugh. This is why I only want tires that stay bead-locked when deflated - I don't want to have sealant sloshing around when I get them seated.
To be clear, now that the tyre is seated, it is bead-locked when deflated. Getting it seated on the other had was a bit of a job.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 03-28-21, 06:00 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by NoWhammies
To be clear, now that the tyre is seated, it is bead-locked when deflated. Getting it seated on the other had was a bit of a job.
Oh, cool. If that's the case, I'd get a sealant syringe and only add/remove sealant when the tire is already seated - so much easier and cleaner than way.
Old 03-28-21, 08:12 AM
dmanthree

Sigh...like I said in another thread yesterday I hit some road debris and sliced the rear tire and broke a spoke. So the question of mileage is now moot.

Dammit.
Old 03-28-21, 03:26 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by dmanthree
Sigh...like I said in another thread yesterday I hit some road debris and sliced the rear tire and broke a spoke. So the question of mileage is now moot.

Dammit.
That blows...

Now get crackin' on wearing out the new one!
Old 03-28-21, 05:24 PM
dmanthree

That blows...

Now get crackin' on wearing out the new one!
Took a shakedown ride today with the fixed wheel and tire. All is good. Let's see how far I can take this one.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 06-23-22, 09:02 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
It has been a few months since the last post in the thread, but since I’ve come to learn the Michelin Power Road TLR has now been replaced by the Power Cup line, I didn’t figure there was much point in another thread since the tire, and my opinion about it, are pretty much relics of the past. There may be some old stock around, though, so a quick comment may be interest to someone.

As ​​​WhyFi noted upthread, I also found the 25mm Power Road TLR to be less supple than Pro One (either Addix or the previous; I replaced Addix but have old models on another bike still) at the same pressure. The sidewalls, pre-installation, were noticeably stiffer, so that’s probably where that’s coming from.

I’m only two, fair weather rides in (plus scrub-in ride) so cannot comment much on performance or durability, but I do like the tread shaping, in that the cornering seems precise and predictable, It doesn’t have the sure-footed, no nonsence cornering of the Pro One, but the playful quality of the Power Road TLR has been backed up with grip and stability, so I’m growing confident in them.

Though they feel more boxy or stiff the Pro One, they seem to roll just as fast. Examining ride data, similar power over similar roads produces the same speed, but there are lots of other, unaccounted for variables so that’s not saying much, but I’m satisfied at this point.

After a spring full of cuts and punctures to Pro One tubeless, I wanted to try out something new. I’ve been favoring the One line since I went tubeless in ‘13 or ‘14, and it’s definitely still my favorite and benchmark, but these are my first Michelin tubeless and they’re promising alternatives. Based on my very brief Power Road experience, I’m already looking ahead to trying the Power Cups, but opted for the outgoing Power Road this time because I wanted the extra .2mm tread thickness having been shaken by the early season damage. As a strong riding 245lbs-er, I wear through rear tires quickly and expect I’ll be ready for Cups by the end of the summer season.
Likes For chaadster: