Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

BBRight Crank on BSA30 Frame?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-20, 03:16 PM
speedyspaghetti

Bikes: VeloBuild VB-R-022 // '89 Specialized Allez Full Dura-Ace 7400 // Santa Cruz Stigmata CC // Bridgestone MB-3 BoxTwo 1x Conversion // Bridgestone MB-6 // Santa Cruz Highball C // Ibis Spanky

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

Hey guys -

So, as I mentioned over in another thread, my friend sold me his Rotor 3DF crankset for a bargain. I had some issues with getting the new BSA30 BB in (see this thread) but eventually I got it all figured out and today was finally the day to install the new crankset!

Well, bikes are a cruel mistress and I ran into another snafu. It seems like the crankset spindle is just a bit too short. I cannot get the thread nut that connects the arm to the spindle to thread on. It seems to be because of the spider which is weirdly protruding rather than recessed. I called my friend to double check and he said he took it off his Cervelo frame which, as it turns out, uses BBRight cranksets and this particular Rotor crankset was only made for Cervelo frames. (See photos below of what I am talking about)

Is there some sort of adapter / longer spindle I can use? I really like this crankset, but I'm tired of not being able to ride my bike. If this turns out to be impossible, I'll probably just sell the crankset and buy something new. If I end up having to go this route, what cranksets would you guys recommend (mid-compact preferable, compact double ok) for my BSA frame?

Thanks everyone.

Threaded bolt can't reach

It seems like this piece with the holes drilled into it is what is blocking the crank from fitting on the spindle.

This is as far as it goes.
Old 08-16-20, 03:35 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
The BBright bottom bracket is 79mm wide. A BSA BB is 68mm wide + 10-12mm for external BSA30 cups, so 88-90mm wide. As you have discovered, the BBRight-specific Rotor spindle is 11-12mm short to be used with BSA30.
Old 08-16-20, 03:37 PM
speedyspaghetti

Bikes: VeloBuild VB-R-022 // '89 Specialized Allez Full Dura-Ace 7400 // Santa Cruz Stigmata CC // Bridgestone MB-3 BoxTwo 1x Conversion // Bridgestone MB-6 // Santa Cruz Highball C // Ibis Spanky

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
The BBright bottom bracket is 79mm wide. A BSA BB is 68mm wide + 10-12mm for external BSA30 cups, so 88-90mm wide. As you have discovered, the BBRight-specific Rotor spindle is 11-12mm short to be used with BSA30.
So should I just sell it and find something new?
Old 03-18-22, 04:28 PM
stoobydale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey mate, did you ever get this sorted? I am in the same situation now, I have a BBright crankset that I removed from my Cervelo that i would now like to mount on a BSA frame. I do have a spare spider though as I previously had another Rotor chainset that I fitted a Power2Max meter on. As you mentioned the spiders are considerably different.
Old 05-13-22, 11:29 PM
smin

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stoobydale
Hey mate, did you ever get this sorted? I am in the same situation now, I have a BBright crankset that I removed from my Cervelo that i would now like to mount on a BSA frame. I do have a spare spider though as I previously had another Rotor chainset that I fitted a Power2Max meter on. As you mentioned the spiders are considerably different.
I am also in the same boat. Really infuriating because rotor literature states that all their cranksets are compatible with BSA frames, but there is 0 documentation on how to make that happen.
Old 05-15-22, 11:05 PM
stoobydale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I gave up for the time being. Will keep the BBRight Rotor crank and maybe put it back on the Cervelo if I sell the Power2Max as now have Assioma pedals. Hope it's not an issue to swap back as I had a Hambini BB made for the Cervello and don't fancy trying to remove it. I got over the problem temporarily by buying a cheap chainset from Aliexpress that looks a bit like a Rotor, with a DUB BB, works a treat, at the moment and reviews online look OK. I know there are a few people against DUB but it would be good to have 1 standard that you can move easily from bike to bike.
Old 05-16-22, 01:29 PM
smin

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stoobydale
I gave up for the time being. Will keep the BBRight Rotor crank and maybe put it back on the Cervelo if I sell the Power2Max as now have Assioma pedals. Hope it's not an issue to swap back as I had a Hambini BB made for the Cervello and don't fancy trying to remove it. I got over the problem temporarily by buying a cheap chainset from Aliexpress that looks a bit like a Rotor, with a DUB BB, works a treat, at the moment and reviews online look OK. I know there are a few people against DUB but it would be good to have 1 standard that you can move easily from bike to bike.
Rotor got back to me, the cervelo cranks for BBRight have a built in 11.5mm spacer (which doubles duty as a lock ring) on the drive side, and a burlier spider.
There's conflicting information - rotor says both the spider and the standard lock ring need to be replaced. The lock ring is reasonably easy to source (unfortunately most of them are coming out of europe and shipping quadruples the cost, but the spiders are pretty few and far between. However, some indications online that with just the lock ring replaced it'll fit on most frames.
Options are:
Get a power2max spider and kill 2 birds with one stone
wing it and just get the lock ring
bail

I'm leaning towards option 2 - unfortunately i'll also need to source the lock ring tool - because that spacer is in there tight and i'm not sure a hodgepodge DIY tool will do the trick.
Old 05-16-22, 03:46 PM
smin

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Okay - last update
This is what rotor said regarding using the wider spider with the BSA30 lock ring:

"The shoulder interface between the spider and lockrings is not cross compatible so it does void any associated warranty and could lead to a failure of the lockring allowing the spider to fall off. "

So basically ... Should fit at your own risk?
Old 05-28-22, 11:12 PM
smin

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I did it and it looks like it'll work. Fits on and buttons up nicely - hopefully I'll be able to give my impressions after my first ride this week.
I also took a series of photos I'll post once I hit 10 posts
Likes For smin:
Old 05-29-22, 06:45 PM
stoobydale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the pics. I was really keen on Rotor chainsets, bought 3 back in the day and put them on all my bikes. Moving away from the big brands at the moment, will keep the Cervelo S5 but recently built up Trifox X16 with Winspace wheels and a second hand Sram Red HRD groupset, it is every bit as good as the Cervelo in my opinion. I have had Bianchi, Giant and Argon18 in the past. Still have an Argon18 titanium framed bike that sits on the turbo nowadays.
Old 06-05-22, 06:34 PM
smin

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Old 06-25-22, 10:10 AM
Dan M

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did this work okay smin
Old 07-19-22, 12:04 PM
smin

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan M
Did this work okay smin
Yes it did! Several hundred KMs later and it's worked the treat. I was going to pull the crankset off and tighten the spider nut up again just because of the warning Rotor gave me, but I don't expect it'll need it.
Likes For smin: