Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

SRAM Eagle AXS Backpedaling Issue

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-10-21, 10:03 PM
speedyspaghetti

Bikes: VeloBuild VB-R-022 // '89 Specialized Allez Full Dura-Ace 7400 // Santa Cruz Stigmata CC // Bridgestone MB-3 BoxTwo 1x Conversion // Bridgestone MB-6 // Santa Cruz Highball C // Ibis Spanky

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts

Hey everyone -

So I finally got around to installing my SRAM AXS Mullet (Force Shifters / GX Eagle RD) on my Stigmata. I bought everything new (shifters, rd, cranks, chain) except for the 10-50 cassette which I bought "lightly" used. That cassette shifted horribly, so I figured it was worn, the seller lied to me, whatever. I bought a brand new cassette today and the shifting is way better. However, I cannot seem to backpedal in the 10T cog without the chain skipping all over the place.

Here

What could be causing this? B-tension was set using the SRAM tool that comes with the RD, limit screws are set fine and when pedaling forward it sounds pretty quiet (a bit of clicking but I imagine that is inevitable with a 1x12 setup). RD hanger is straight. What should I look for / adjust?

Last edited by speedyspaghetti; 09-10-21 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-10-21, 10:55 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Maybe too obvious but have you tried indexing a little bit more outbound? Make sure to back the high limit off a hair so it can move out a hair. Also have you checked if the chainline is way off or mismatched?
Old 09-11-21, 04:14 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
Maybe too obvious but have you tried indexing a little bit more outbound? Make sure to back the high limit off a hair so it can move out a hair. Also have you checked if the chainline is way off or mismatched?
Please explain to me how making ANY adjustment at all to the rear derailleur will help solve this problem. I'll wait.
Old 09-11-21, 09:22 PM
cpach

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Please explain to me how making ANY adjustment at all to the rear derailleur will help solve this problem. I'll wait.
If the guide pulley is centered towards the centerline of the bike relatice to the 10t cog it might explain op's problem. I admittedly don't test for such aggressive backpedaling but most eagle drivetrains can back pedal on the 10t, its the largest cogs that sometimes can't back pedal. What do you think is up with op's dt?

Op: Did you check the orientation of the connecting link?
Old 09-11-21, 10:38 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Don't backpedal in the 10t. The only variable that will change the backpedaling performance is changing the chainline. The rear derailleur has no bearing on this, being placed after the cassette while backpedaling, it is no longer guiding your chain to the cassette. Your chain is skipping because nothing is guiding the chain off top of the front chainring to the top of the 10t cog while backpedaling. It is an extreme angle for the chain to take, and it wants to take a smaller angle, so with nothing to guide it out further, it catches on the next inner cog.
Solution is to not backpedal.
Likes For SalsaShark:
Old 09-12-21, 03:08 AM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Yep, chainline is the problem. Either don't backpedal in that gear or find a way to move your chainring outwards, but that might be difficult and introduce more problems, so I'd go with the former solution - avoid backpedaling in that gear.
Old 09-12-21, 09:25 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
If the guide pulley is centered towards the centerline of the bike relatice to the 10t cog it might explain op's problem. I admittedly don't test for such aggressive backpedaling but most eagle drivetrains can back pedal on the 10t, its the largest cogs that sometimes can't back pedal. What do you think is up with op's dt?

Op: Did you check the orientation of the connecting link?
Pedaling backwards. Nothing you do at the derailleur will change what's happening when you back pedal.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-13-21, 09:16 PM
cpach

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Pedaling backwards. Nothing you do at the derailleur will change what's happening when you back pedal.
This makes sense. I stand by my chainline guess--my guess would be a road chainline crankset with a mountain chainline derailleur/cassette. If you have a choice, OP, you may be able to simply change to a chainring with less offset.
Old 09-16-21, 09:21 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
If change the chainring offset to favor the outermost cog, you will screw up the chain line to the innermost cogs. This is a 1x, right? The chain line is correct when the chain is parallel with the centerline of the bike when it's on the center cog on the cassette.