Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Problems with Canyon (the company) and their customer service?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Problems with Canyon (the company) and their customer service?

Old 02-14-22, 10:25 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
I just received this yesterday. All built up and converted to tubeless. The conversion took about 15 minutes, wheels arrived already taped only had to install tubeless valves and pump the tires back up
Interesting- the CF6 in Canada has a different color and tire offering than the CF6 in the US.
Looks good!
Old 02-14-22, 10:37 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Interesting- the CF6 in Canada has a different color and tire offering than the CF6 in the US.
Looks good!
This one is the CF SL7 not the CF6, now just to wait for a day when the temperature goes above -15 C
Old 02-14-22, 10:42 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
This one is the CF SL7 not the CF6, now just to wait for a day when the temperature goes above -15 C
Cool. The 6 and 7 have the same paint. Funny enough, that is shared with the US versions of the 6 and 7.
Old 02-14-22, 03:48 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,819 Times in 2,978 Posts
I've noticed Canyon often have slightly different specs across different regions. But they keep changing all the time. I guess it's down to the logistics of parts availability at the moment.
Old 06-25-22, 10:12 PM
Gride

Bikes: Santana Beyond PHD DA/ XTR Di2, Canyon Ultimate CF SLX DA Mech (Canyon refused valid warranty claim), 2021 Specialized Tarmac SL7 12 spd DA, 2022 No.22 Drifter X 12spd DA, Budnitz Alpha- Gates belt-Alfine internal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Screwed big time by Canyon

Canyon plain and simple are a disreputable company and will invariably do the wrong thing when it comes to honoring their published warranty. Other companies do it right. Specialized for one steps up and makes it right with their product issues. My Ultimate CF SLX frame first had a small problems. The plastic seat tube collar literally melted off from a bad compound used to make, and the seat post was dimpled from the binder bolt while never being torqued beyond spec. They refused to warranty stating the part is unavailable. Then far worse the frame failed catastrophically, a broken seat stay clean through. They refused to honor warranty or even properly respond to the claim. I am trying to withhold emotion and refrain from name calling here. It’s hard when they easily took thousands of my dollars and promised a 6 yr warranty but made it impossible to yield the service promised. I never breached any conditions and come up empty. By doing so not only will I never purchase another bike from them (bought $20k of bikes this year) but I am now a lifetime advocate against Canyon to save other customers from this horrible feeling of getting ripped off. Shame on you Canyon. You screwed me the little guy, do you think you business’s empire will thrive with these kinds of testimonials ?

Last edited by Gride; 06-25-22 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-27-22, 04:01 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,819 Times in 2,978 Posts
Originally Posted by Gride
I am trying to withhold emotion and refrain from name calling here.
You're not doing very well on that front. Sounds like you had a nightmare though, so I can understand the rant. I think I've read about a couple of seat stay failures on Ultimate/Endurace SLX level frames. There was this one for example

https://www.******.com/r/CanyonBikes..._stay_failure/

Looks like the guy got a warranty replacement in this case.

I have an Endurace SL which has been problem free so far, although only 6 months old. The thin seat stays are pretty fragile looking though. I'm always careful not to lean the bike on them or pick the bike up with them when removing wheels etc.
I also have a Canyon mtb which has been faultless over 3 years.
Old 06-30-22, 01:28 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
What has worked for me in the past has been to take an hour and find the name of the CEO and the address for the company headquarters and written a letter and put it in the mail. I cut past all the layers of the company to go to the person in overall charge. They are likely to delegate the matter to another person but that individual is not going to want to disappoint the CEO and if they make a request on behalf of the CEO it carries a lot more weight in the organization.

Your difficulty with Canyon is why I have bought my bikes from local bike shops including two Specialized road e-bikes, a Specialized FS mountain bike, and a Scott hardtail in the past two years. If I have a problem I go to the bike shop and talk face to face with someone and get the matter resolved very quickly.
Old 07-02-22, 11:03 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
You're not doing very well on that front. Sounds like you had a nightmare though, so I can understand the rant. I think I've read about a couple of seat stay failures on Ultimate/Endurace SLX level frames. There was this one for example

https://www.******.com/r/CanyonBikes..._stay_failure/

Looks like the guy got a warranty replacement in this case.

I have an Endurace SL which has been problem free so far, although only 6 months old. The thin seat stays are pretty fragile looking though. I'm always careful not to lean the bike on them or pick the bike up with them when removing wheels etc.
I also have a Canyon mtb which has been faultless over 3 years.
There is a potential for customer service disparity I suppose. I mean, doesn't there have to be some tradeoff when cost between and Canyon and eg. a Spesh for similarly equipped bike can be in the neighborhood of $2k?

Maybe begs the question is whether there are any 'no fault, no questions' aftermarket service/warranty policies that are worth considering depending on how much they cost?

Edited to add: I see that Velofix setup, assembly and delivery is a free option for Canyon bike fulfillment (in the US anyway). Would warranty/damage review and claim eligibility be reviewed by them as well, or put another way how does Canyon actually look at something that's broken to determine whether to warranty or not warranty? Emailed photos, or are there associated LBS's that they contract with for this support?

Last edited by Sy Reene; 07-02-22 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-24-24, 10:35 PM
Junkbeast

Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane SL 5 Gen 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
What has worked for me in the past has been to take an hour and find the name of the CEO and the address for the company headquarters and written a letter and put it in the mail. I cut past all the layers of the company to go to the person in overall charge. They are likely to delegate the matter to another person but that individual is not going to want to disappoint the CEO and if they make a request on behalf of the CEO it carries a lot more weight in the organization.

Your difficulty with Canyon is why I have bought my bikes from local bike shops including two Specialized road e-bikes, a Specialized FS mountain bike, and a Scott hardtail in the past two years. If I have a problem I go to the bike shop and talk face to face with someone and get the matter resolved very quickly.
I had to do this with another German company (Stihl) over a lemon Kombi motor. After almost 4 years of fighting with the dealer and "repairs" that did nothing, before the warranty was set to expire I sent a Certified Mail with Signature Receipt to the president with physical photos and documentation. Within a week I got a call from the regional distributor asking where I'd like to pick up my new replacement model. The replacement has been rock solid for almost EIGHT years now. I never bought from that dealer again, but my trust in Stihl was renewed.

I've recently had a pretty poor experience with Canyon's warranty process. After SEVEN MONTHS they eventually serviced my warranty, but I had to contribute considerable personal time and monetary cost to get to this point, and my replacement isn't 100% satisfactory.

One can get a lot more bike for the money with a consumer-direct seller like Canyon, but in the case of a warranty or other service issue, they may suffer and it negates the cost savings.

I really loved that bike, and I suppose ANY bike could fail, but the cost savings is now not worth it in my opinion. At this point I no longer recommend Canyon bikes. Tut mir leid, bros.

Last edited by Junkbeast; 01-24-24 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-25-24, 08:03 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6929 Post(s)
Liked 10,931 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
What has worked for me in the past has been to take an hour and find the name of the CEO and the address for the company headquarters and written a letter and put it in the mail.
I actually did this years ago with Specialized -- sent a letter to Mike Sinyard -- the founder (and still, at that point anyway, CEO) of the company. Within a week, I got a call from a CS rep who fell all over himself to make me happy -- the same rep who had earlier denied my requests.
Old 01-25-24, 03:33 PM
Lamont Cobb

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
I don't have any experience ordering from Canyon but I do subscribe to the principle that a company, just like a person, is innocent until proved guilty. Just my .02 plus tax.
Old 01-25-24, 07:16 PM
Mtracer

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 189 Posts
Since this is a moderately old thread, I've probably already replied earlier, but customer service is why I've bought seven bikes (mine and other family members) all from the same Trek store. In terms of how much bike you get for your money, I know that there are better values, if that's all you consider. But I value my time and I put a VERY high price on my aggravation. I can afford to spend more and I just don't want to waste my time on stupid crap. I'm more than willing to pay a lot more for a better overall experience. I'm not super rich, rather comfortably retired. Any amount extra I spend on a bike, is only going to affect how much money I leave my kids when I'm dead.

While there have been a few small issues that never rose to a warranty claim, the shop just deals with it. I did have one true warranty claim with the finish on a a Trek Checkpoint, it resulted in a completely new frame. Since they only had replacement frames in one color, I couldn't get the same color I had. But I came to hate the original matte finish and the replacement is a really nice gloss finish that I love. So, that worked well for me.

But I completely understand those that must or just prefer to spend less. As a result, you take the risk of having to resolve a problem without a local dealer. Neither approach is objectively better. Though one or the other may be better for you.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 01-26-24, 11:16 AM
cweb99

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 58 Posts
I almost bought a Canyon. But the whole “ship bike back warranty”. Was a no go. Ended up getting a Roubaix. I have never had issues with Specialized and there is a dealer down the street from me.
I test ride an Endurance and loved it. But the seat stays and fork did seem a bit thin. Specialized does feel more more beefier

Last edited by cweb99; 01-26-24 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-28-24, 06:00 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
easy there buddy, your attitude sucks. Canyon is a reputable co but this customer service nightmare is just not right.
Very reputable and at the Grand Tours, their support has to be the best.