Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2022.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2022.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-22, 11:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Moose stew, anyone?

https://www.food.com/recipe/moose-stew-74882
Old 01-06-22, 11:38 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
Anyone following the Djokovic story?

Poor fella is being treated like a prisoner in a dirty hotel. Even had his phone taken away from him for 3 hours when he entered Australia. The horrors. Novak Djokovic being 'treated like a prisoner' by Australian authorities, according to his mother (msn.com)
Old 01-06-22, 11:42 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13711 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 2,504 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Sure.

We've had venison stew and elk stew, but not moose stew.
Old 01-06-22, 11:51 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by rjones28
We've had venison stew and elk stew, but not moose stew.
Did some research. Moose is very expensive, if you can even get it.

Loin of venison in huckleberry sauce remains one of the best meals I have ever had eating out.

An old friend recently nagged a 10 point deer with a crossbow in Missouri. She says she'll have some for me. I once made venison lasagna.
Old 01-06-22, 11:55 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
The Philly school district has already decided to go virtual tomorrow because of the snow. *smh* During the 3 years I spent in public school (6th-8th grade) we would have to show up when there was 6" on the ground and more falling. Kids there days are soft.

The Eagles 8:15 game Saturday night should be interesting.
I remember lying in bed before getting up, listening to the radio Dad always turned on when he got up, waiting to hear whether Upper Adams School District would have a Snow Day. 6" would definitely do it, if it fell overnight. I remember one time when I was about 10, there was a big snow storm that put down about 8-12", so school was cancelled. Then that night, there was a windstorm that piled up drifts across a lot of roads. School was cancelled. Then there was a ice storm. School was cancelled. It was like Christmas!

I remember the snow drifted high enough that it covered the 4' snow fences they used to put along the leeward side of the playground, and then the crust of ice on top of it was sturdy enough that a skinny 10 year old kid like me could actually walk on it, walking right over the snow fence.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-06-22, 11:56 AM
indyfabz

I spent five minutes on an art supply store's website this morning and have been seeing nothing but adds for the place since then.
Old 01-06-22, 11:59 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Did some research. Moose is very expensive, if you can even get it.

Loin of venison in huckleberry sauce remains one of the best meals I have ever had eating out.

An old friend recently nagged a 10 point deer with a crossbow in Missouri. She says she'll have some for me. I once made venison lasagna.
The moose I've had was free, but the guy who gave it to us had to pay the expensive Non-Resident tag fees on top of a Non-Resident license.

OTOH, once you shoot one, there's a hell of a lot of it.

Old 01-06-22, 12:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Mynd you, mψψse bites Kan be pretti nasti...

Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-06-22, 12:05 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by genejockey
I remember lying in bed before getting up, listening to the radio Dad always turned on when he got up, waiting to hear whether Upper Adams School District would have a Snow Day. 6" would definitely do it, if it fell overnight. I remember one time when I was about 10, there was a big snow storm that put down about 8-12", so school was cancelled. Then that night, there was a windstorm that piled up drifts across a lot of roads. School was cancelled. Then there was a ice storm. School was cancelled. It was like Christmas!

I remember the snow drifted high enough that it covered the 4' snow fences they used to put along the leeward side of the playground, and then the crust of ice on top of it was sturdy enough that a skinny 10 year old kid like me could actually walk on it, walking right over the snow fence.
Understandable in the sticks. Until 5th grade I went to school in the Philly 'burbs. Bus ride involved some hilly backroads, and snow would stick more easily out there. We were closed many days when city schools were open, which presented problems because mom taught public school in the city. Grandma usually came to watch us.

Went to high school at a boarding school in western MA. One day it snowed so hard and so fast that they closed school that afternoon so staff/faculty members who did not live in town could get home. The only thing that stayed open was the cafeteria. And we are talking about people who were used to driving in snow. At one point snow was falling at a rate of at least 3"/hour.
Old 01-06-22, 12:10 PM
indyfabz

OTOH, once you shoot one, there's a hell of a lot of it.
In 2003 I did a guided backpack trip in Glacier N.P. My guide (I was the only one who signed up for that week.) led moose hunting trips in Alaska. He talked about eating moose ribs. I kept imagining something out of "The Flintstones."

I know I have had elk jerky, and I think I had an elk burger in MT. Bison burgers for sure. Several times. Bison steaks as well.
Old 01-06-22, 12:15 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Understandable in the sticks. Until 5th grade I went to school in the Philly 'burbs. Bus ride involved some hilly backroads, and snow would stick more easily out there. We were closed many days when city schools were open, which presented problems because mom taught public school in the city. Grandma usually came to watch us.

Went to high school at a boarding school in western MA. One day it snowed so hard and so fast that they closed school that afternoon so staff/faculty members who did not live in town could get home. The only thing that stayed open was the cafeteria. And we are talking about people who were used to driving in snow. At one point snow was falling at a rate of at least 3"/hour.
Yeah. A LOT of the students lived on farms that were along roads that weren't wide enough for a center line. It was a while before they got around to plowing those.

As long as I'm reminiscing about snow - which is something I have the privilege of doing, living where there is none - my parent's house was on a large lot, especially for being in town. 1 3/4 acres. So there was a LONG sidewalk to shovel, which we were legally required to do. The requirement was only for a path to be shoveled, so I always wanted to do just one shovel wide. Dad insisted on my shovelling the full width. Then there was the driveway, which was almost as long as the lot was wide, and ended in a turnaround by the garage. Then there was shoveling a path to the turnaround from the house. There was a LOT of snow shovelling to be done. When I, the last of the kids, went off to college, Dad immediately bought himself the snow blower I'd bugged him to get for years.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-06-22, 12:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

In 2003 I did a guided backpack trip in Glacier N.P. My guide (I was the only one who signed up for that week.) led moose hunting trips in Alaska. He talked about eating moose ribs. I kept imagining something out of "The Flintstones."

I know I have had elk jerky, and I think I had an elk burger in MT. Bison burgers for sure. Several times. Bison steaks as well.
When you talk to hunters about different types of game, and the discussion turns to elk, they all start looking like Homer Simpson thinking about donuts.

Old 01-06-22, 12:22 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
What's the problem?
Seriously, that’s not even “slow down” snow
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 01-06-22, 12:23 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

There was a restaurant here that had elk and boar on the menu, sadly they closed
Old 01-06-22, 12:25 PM
indyfabz

When you talk to hunters about different types of game, and the discussion turns to elk, they all start looking like Homer Simpson thinking about donuts.
A guy here who recently retired would go moose hunting up in Canada and Elk hunting in out west. Last time was in ID. The trips were guided and sounded somewhat pampered. They supplied (ad did) all the camp stuff for you.

It's big business in some areas. When I was touring in ID in the spring of 2019 I overheard a guy tell someone he had taken in nearly $400K leading hunting trips the years before.
Old 01-06-22, 12:26 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

gotta love the nor’easters. Up in Watertown where I grew up, if we closed for 6 inches it probably would have been a snow day every week.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 01-06-22, 12:35 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11966 Post(s)
Liked 6,632 Times in 3,478 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Anyone following the Djokovic story?

Poor fella is being treated like a prisoner in a dirty hotel. Even had his phone taken away from him for 3 hours when he entered Australia. The horrors. Novak Djokovic being 'treated like a prisoner' by Australian authorities, according to his mother (msn.com)
No sympathy here. Get your frikkin shots!
Likes For BillyD:
Old 01-06-22, 12:36 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

A guy here who recently retired would go moose hunting up in Canada and Elk hunting in out west. Last time was in ID. The trips were guided and sounded somewhat pampered. They supplied (ad did) all the camp stuff for you.

It's big business in some areas. When I was touring in ID in the spring of 2019 I overheard a guy tell someone he had taken in nearly $400K leading hunting trips the years before.
I believe it. I used to be heavily into traditional archery, so I got to be online friends with a lot of bowhunters. Some of them lived in places where deer are pretty much a tasty nuisance animal and they basically fill the freezer locally, but a lot of other folks live spend a chunk of cash every year to hunt, mostly in the Rocky Mountain states. Hunting there, just for the license and tags, is really expensive, and it can be a REALLY BAD IDEA to hunt without a guide in a lot of the West. A friend used to tell a story of getting caught out in a snowstorm - with an experienced local guide - where the guide lost his way, and said they'd better stop before they got lost even worse. They got through the night, once the guide realized they were hunkered down around a tiny fire next to the resin-filled rootball of a fallen pine and got that lit. Turns out there were about 100 feet from the road, and about 1/4 mile from the truck.

Old 01-06-22, 12:36 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
gotta love the nor’easters. Up in Watertown where I grew up, if we closed for 6 inches it probably would have been a snow day every week.
MA or NY? Watertown NY has some serious snow!
Old 01-06-22, 12:38 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Originally Posted by moalpha
ma or ny? Watertown ny has some serious snow!
ny, yes we did. Though it seems worse now.
Old 01-06-22, 12:41 PM
Mojo31
-------

I know some guys who are really into hunting, some of them into the "exotic" hunting. A couple of them went to a fancy hunting ranch "up yonder in the north somewhere" to hunt deer. They took several. One guy told me that the price was $10,000 + per head depending on the size of the rack. And, the ranch keeps the meet.

I've had lots of game to eat, some I like and some I don't. Elk is good if properly prepared. I really enjoy Bison due to its leanness. Quail is good. Some deer is okay depending on how it's prepared. Fried alligator on the bayou is good. Not a fan of wild boar, snake, rabbit, Rocky Mountain oysters, or dove at all.
Old 01-06-22, 12:43 PM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by BillyD
No sympathy here. Get your frikkin shots!
I agree! I used to be a fan. No mas.
Old 01-06-22, 12:45 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,682 Times in 4,077 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Is there supposed to be something remarkable in that vid?
Worrying about seeing lane markers while driving in the snow is the height of hilarity
Old 01-06-22, 01:05 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Mojo31
I know some guys who are really into hunting, some of them into the "exotic" hunting. A couple of them went to a fancy hunting ranch "up yonder in the north somewhere" to hunt deer. They took several. One guy told me that the price was $10,000 + per head depending on the size of the rack. And, the ranch keeps the meet.

I've had lots of game to eat, some I like and some I don't. Elk is good if properly prepared. I really enjoy Bison due to its leanness. Quail is good. Some deer is okay depending on how it's prepared. Fried alligator on the bayou is good. Not a fan of wild boar, snake, rabbit, Rocky Mountain oysters, or dove at all.
I gotta say, most of the folks on the bowhunting forum tended to disdain what they called 'canned hunts', which is what the 'fancy hunting ranch' sounds like. They were very much of the 'eat what you kill' ethic.

Old 01-06-22, 01:11 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by phrantic09
ny, yes we did. Though it seems worse now.
We spent two nights in Booneville while riding across the country. I later net a guy from there. He said it snows all winter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.