Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ran my first 100m sprint today on the old Schwinn

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ran my first 100m sprint today on the old Schwinn

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-22, 03:55 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Bikes: 1983 Ross Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 51 Posts
Did my first 100m sprint today on the old Schwinn and these are the results.

Today I sprinted 100m from a standing start as fast as I could on the old 72 Schwinn.

This 52 year old rider is 5'11" and weighed in at 168.75lbs. The bike weighed 38lbs

I mapped out exactly 100m with the google maps measure distance feature on my street in the front of the house.

I made 3 runs at 100% maximum effort and measured the elapsed time with the digital stopwatch on my wrist watch.

I would start the stop watch, get into position at the starting line and when the stopwatch got to exactly 1 min I launched from a standing position and remained standing througout. As I crossed the finish line, I looked at the watch which was buckled around my handlebars so I could easily see the display.

My best time was 14 seconds flat. I expected to do it closer to 10 seconds according to my calculations and estimation of my fitness level. . But I was so wrong. This is harder than I thought.

My lungs were burning in between runs to recover from the oxygen deficit inflicted by the all out sprint. I used the second gear 39 ring and 24 rear cog for a ratio of 1.625. I did not shift, just left it in that gear the whole time. I thought to shift but I didnt dare take my hand off the handlebars at full throttle to shift the Twin Shift stem mounted shifters. Click shift would definitely have a major advantage.. I know with some tuning and training I can break into the 13s. The pump in my quads and glutes was insane!

I would love to see your guy's times and what bikes you are riding.

Last edited by BikePower; 01-12-22 at 11:41 PM.
Likes For BikePower:
Old 01-13-22, 08:44 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
What type of pedals are you using on the Schwinn? I've got to think being clipped in with SPD-SL pedals would help optimize pedal stroke in an all out sprint.
Old 01-13-22, 10:31 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by BikePower
I would love to see your guy's times and what bikes you are riding.
ok

Last edited by mstateglfr; 01-13-22 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-13-22, 11:00 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Might add some interest by teaming with a partner and switching off after your sprint. And if you rode on an oval track you could have all kinds of fun.
Likes For big chainring:
Old 01-13-22, 11:10 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
I guess in the flat terrain of much of Florida you have to do something to amuse yourself on the bike. But for me and probably many, sprints aren't our thing. We'd rather best our times going up a hill or see how fast we can average on a 36 or 62 mile ride or some ride of more than two hours.

I tend to think the benefit for health is duration of ones cycling as opposed to short bursts of maximum power. Though when used for interval training those short bursts of maximum effort can improve everything else.

I suppose when I started back riding my 46 pound Schwinn Varsity for fitness back when I was about 50 yo I had some of the same feelings of how "great" I was and ready to challenge all comers. However I think I'm a little more sensible now on my <18 lb bike and a little less likely to challenge anyone lest they embarrass me. < big grin>

Last edited by Iride01; 01-13-22 at 11:15 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-13-22, 12:21 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
I would give it a try, but I am busy watching pain dry. Sorry.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-13-22, 01:48 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
I'll choose this bike, very light sprinklee rain just now so have to wait for the ground to dry out.

Likes For skidder:
Old 01-13-22, 02:22 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I would give it a try, but I am busy watching pain dry. Sorry.
Shrug. Where's the paint? Is it a nice color? This topic falls under "things you may go do for fun, but don't tell anybody about.........much less post about it".

I can't even get Strava to zoom in on such a short stretch to see what it was for some of my pursuit workouts with a standing start.

But speaking of paint dry, a 39/24 is a climbing gear. Not a 100m dash gear. That has to be a typo and meant a 14t, not a 24t.
Old 01-13-22, 02:36 PM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
From a standing start weight is a bigger issue. If we are racing I'll bring the PX-10.
OTOH I was given a 72 Sierra Brown Continental (also 24") last year that looked like hell. It cleaned up great and rides real nice. I used a brass brush with WD40 on the wheels and all the rust is gone.

Last edited by dmark; 01-13-22 at 03:06 PM.
Likes For dmark:
Old 01-13-22, 02:46 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by dmark
From a standing start weight is a bigger issue. If we are racing I'll bring the PX-10.
OTOH I was given a 72 Sierra Brown Continental last year that looked like hell. It cleaned up great and rides real nice. I used a brass brush with WD40 on the wheels and all the rust is gone.
good work Dmark! You saved a classic from the crusher. Now go out there and see if you can beat my time of 14 seconds! I challenge anyone on this board to beat my time.
Likes For BikePower:
Old 01-13-22, 02:52 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Shrug. Where's the paint? Is it a nice color? This topic falls under "things you may go do for fun, but don't tell anybody about.........much less post about it".

I can't even get Strava to zoom in on such a short stretch to see what it was for some of my pursuit workouts with a standing start.

But speaking of paint dry, a 39/24 is a climbing gear. Not a 100m dash gear. That has to be a typo and meant a 14t, not a 24t.
Yes a climbing gear to climb out of the hole of standing still. Ideally I would shift into the next gear once I got going but I cant take a hand off the handlebars and keep accelerating. RPM's were pretty high at the finish line and if I cant shift Im going to try starting in a steeper gear like 39/20 to see if a stronger finish makes up for a slower launch. I need another day or two to recover first. Then I will try it and report back here. What ratio do you think would be best?
Old 01-13-22, 02:56 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Its winter in much of the US...you may not get too many serious times compared to if you posted this in the summer...though you may not get too many serious times then either.
Why did you choose 100m? Why not 100yards? Why not 1 mile?
That seems very short.

Serious question- what gearing did you start in and did you change it at all during the 'sprints'? Did you start with the same gearing each time or did you adjust and notice one was better than another?
I went with 100m so I could compare it to runners times. Also I wanted to pick a distance that would be about 10 seconds worth of all out effort to simulate a running sprint race and stay in the anaerobic explosive power pathway. Ever notice the physique of a sprinter compared with the physique of the 10k guy? The best time was with the 39/24 but I am going to experiment with taller ratios and see if I can make up for the slow start with a stronger finish. 100m is not that short when you are going all out! and it takes me a couple minutes to recover. Its like a wind sprint. One thing I have to make sure not to hold my breath when pushing and straining that hard. Thats a lot of pressure not good for the blood vessels. Naturally oxygen uptake is not a factor in sprinting because the race is anaerobic and only 14 seconds long but pressure management is a concern. I should probably wear a heart rate monitor to make sure Im not exceding the safe limit for my age.

Last edited by BikePower; 01-13-22 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-13-22, 03:07 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Its winter in much of the US...you may not get too many serious times compared to if you posted this in the summer...though you may not get too many serious times then either.
Why did you choose 100m? Why not 100yards? Why not 1 mile?
That seems very short.

Serious question- what gearing did you start in and did you change it at all during the 'sprints'? Did you start with the same gearing each time or did you adjust and notice one was better than another?
I went with 100m so I could compare it to runners times. Also I wanted to pick a distance that would be about 10 seconds worth of all out effort to simulate a running sprint race and stay in the anaerobic explosive power pathway.

Ever notice the physique of a sprinter compared with the physique of the 10k or marathon guy? According to my fitness textbook it talks about the SAID principle Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demands. The body will adapt specifically to the demands imposed on it. A sprinters body shows how the adaptation to sprinting is different than the marathoners body to distance running.
Old 01-13-22, 03:12 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by Outrider1
What type of pedals are you using on the Schwinn? I've got to think being clipped in with SPD-SL pedals would help optimize pedal stroke in an all out sprint.
Just the stock Schwinn unclipped pedals. I think thats a great idea once I get the rest of the formula dialed in. I wonder how much time / energy that could save me? I would think it could be considerable because you can pull with your hamstring while simultaneously driving down with the other leg. Good thinking Outrider!
Old 01-13-22, 03:13 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Whats funny to me is that I would never set up a testing process like this outside my house on an actual bike, but I would absolutely give it a try if Zwift had some virtual 100m sprint workout where you go all out from 0.
I would do it a few times then move on and never think again about how to reach my anaerobic explosive power pathways.
Old 01-13-22, 03:20 PM
woodcraft

Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Looking at the gear calculator, 39/24 only gets you about 16mph at 125 rpm, not even 18 mph at 140 rpm.

I think you'll have to shift to reach your goal.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 01-13-22, 03:52 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Looking at the gear calculator, 39/24 only gets you about 16mph at 125 rpm, not even 18 mph at 140 rpm.

I think you'll have to shift to reach your goal.
Did you figure 27" wheels? Thats very interesting. I just calculated 16mph as 23.466 feet per second and if you divide it into 328ft (aka 100m) it comes out to 13.977 sec. Thats a flying start at 16mph. I started from a stop so I would have had to reach a much faster speed than 16mph to make up for not having a flying start. It would be interesting to be able to calculate what speed I must reach by what point to equal desired elapsed time. ( any time faster than the previous time).
Old 01-13-22, 05:03 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
What was your trap speed? surely that Schwinn has a speedometer on it.
Old 01-13-22, 06:19 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
What was your trap speed? surely that Schwinn has a speedometer on it.
I’m seeing one of those large cylindrical ones with a red needle with the MPH laid out: ****5**** 10**** 15**** 20**** 25****30 with a cable drive that goes to the front wheel hub. Probably weighs about 3 lbs

Had something like that when I was a kid.

Old 01-13-22, 06:54 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by rsbob
I’m seeing one of those large cylindrical ones with a red needle with the MPH laid out: ****5**** 10**** 15**** 20**** 25****30 with a cable drive that goes to the front wheel hub. Probably weighs about 3 lbs

Had something like that when I was a kid.
yes I had one too as a lad. Good times!!

I dont have a computer head on it at the moment. I used to have a Cat Eye back in the 80s on my Ross Paragon (i miss that girl). I wish I could find one like those early models cat eyes. Maybe ebay has one. It lasted for many many years, trouble free. It went with the bike, had to sell due to misfortune. It was 23 lbs of heaven on earth.

So no ded I dont know my exact speed at the finish line but I estimate it over 20mph based on past experience which was years ago already and my seat of the pants speed estimator is likely way out of calibration at this late date. However woodcraft was nice enough to do the math and has demonstrated that I had to have been going well over 16mph to span the distance in 14s from a stop.

Im going to look for a Cat Eye for my bike tonight. Do you have any suggestions on a better one? Maybe Cat Eye is not a good brand anymore I dont know.

Last edited by BikePower; 01-13-22 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-13-22, 07:42 PM
woodcraft

Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
It doesn't really matter how fast you are going- it's about getting a faster time, which is not hard to measure.

Try different gears & see what makes for the better result.

A heart rate monitor would be interesting as well...
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 01-13-22, 07:59 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by woodcraft
It doesn't really matter how fast you are going- it's about getting a faster time, which is not hard to measure.

Try different gears & see what makes for the better result.

A heart rate monitor would be interesting as well...
I agree, especially the HR monitor. The Schwinn is waiting for new cables from Bens. Then I have to get new tires and straighten the wheels . Ive got 45ps in them now, I would like to get them up to 90psi but the Schwinn folks on the Schwinn forum report that the Schwinn wheels cant hold much over 65lbs because the rims dont have a lip on them. I think max hr is 220 - age x 80% if I remember correctly. 168 - 34 = 134. bpm. I also have a Schwinn Collegiate 3 speed thumb shift 19" frame. I wonder how much difference that would make. One step at a time.
Old 01-14-22, 02:22 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,131 Times in 487 Posts
My best time was 14 seconds flat. I expected to do it closer to 10 seconds according to my calculations and estimation of my fitness level.
Very nice. Just FYI, from a standing start, 10 seconds would put you into pretty elite company. Here are some data from a standing start for a "national-level" master's pursuiter (note the IP is 4000 meters, so I'm just cutting this off after the initial acceleration. As you can see, the rider passed 100 meters just under 10 seconds. At 14 seconds, the rider had gone 162 meters).

Last edited by RChung; 01-14-22 at 02:31 AM.
Likes For RChung:
Old 01-14-22, 07:14 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
Very nice. Just FYI, from a standing start, 10 seconds would put you into pretty elite company. Here are some data from a standing start for a "national-level" master's pursuiter (note the IP is 4000 meters, so I'm just cutting this off after the initial acceleration. As you can see, the rider passed 100 meters just under 10 seconds. At 14 seconds, the rider had gone 162 meters).

Of note, folks would need a wheel speed sensor to do this to that level of data. The Notio I've got claims 4 datapoints a seconds, but not sure the Garmin speed sensor reports that quickly.

I'd rather the folks on here see what they can get for an amateur distance 3km pursuit. Or the kilo. One out, one back, average the two. Standing start, choose your gear no shifting.

What do decent P/1/2 pursuiters do in the US for the 4km? The record at Aguas is 3:59, but in the US for someone not Lambie I thought more along the lines of 4:20? The men's elite record posted online for Valley Preferred is "only" a 04:32.5.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 01-14-22, 07:55 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
I agree, especially the HR monitor. The Schwinn is waiting for new cables from Bens. Then I have to get new tires and straighten the wheels . Ive got 45ps in them now, I would like to get them up to 90psi but the Schwinn folks on the Schwinn forum report that the Schwinn wheels cant hold much over 65lbs because the rims dont have a lip on them. I think max hr is 220 - age x 80% if I remember correctly. 168 - 34 = 134. bpm. I also have a Schwinn Collegiate 3 speed thumb shift 19" frame. I wonder how much difference that would make. One step at a time.
Because of its time lag relative to power, HR is not very informative over efforts this short.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.