Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

A Question About Recumbent Trike Pedals

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 02-28-22, 03:31 PM
newbert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts

I've ordered a Catrike Villager and would like to replace the pedals that come with it with something that will help prevent my feet from slipping off at an inopportune moment (ie - "leg suck"). I'm trying to choose between two completely different styles of pedals - these MTB pedals and these pedals with a heel cup. Of these two, which would you say are more effective at preventing "leg-suck"? Does anyone have any experience with either, or something similar? Which would you recommend?

Also, can anyone confirm whether the pedal thread on the Villager is 9/16"?

Thanks!
Bert
Old 02-28-22, 05:08 PM
TPL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 64 Posts
toe clips and straps ....very basic, but they do actually work

/
Old 02-28-22, 05:49 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by TPL
toe clips and straps ....very basic, but they do actually work
Not on a bent with the BB even with or above the bottom of the seat. (Unless you use old fashioned slotted cleats).

OP - Yes. The threads are standard 9/16" on any bike/trike other than a BSO (bicycle shaped object).
Old 02-28-22, 06:37 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I believe your trike will come with SPD pedals. If you are inclined to wear SPD cleated shoes you'll have no issue with your feet leaving the pedals under normal circumstances. I rode with cleats on my trike for many years but started to have foot pain related to how the cleat positioned my foot on the pedal. I now have platform pedals with PowerGrip straps and they are working perfectly. They hold my feet secure in a position more suitable to me.
Old 02-28-22, 07:02 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,560 Times in 2,090 Posts
I agree that it may come with cheap combo flat/SPD pedals. I’m pretty sure that my wife’s 700 did. My personal trikes have SPDs.

Old 02-28-22, 08:56 PM
newbert

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
I believe your trike will come with SPD pedals. If you are inclined to wear SPD cleated shoes you'll have no issue with your feet leaving the pedals under normal circumstances. I rode with cleats on my trike for many years but started to have foot pain related to how the cleat positioned my foot on the pedal. I now have platform pedals with PowerGrip straps and they are working perfectly. They hold my feet secure in a position more suitable to me.
OP here - I forgot to mention that I have NO interest in clipless pedals because I need to move my feet around on the pedals a bit to relieve occasional foot-cramping. While it's certainly the most secure solution, I feel that being clipped in would be too restrictive for me. So, I'm looking for an alternative solution.
Old 02-28-22, 08:58 PM
newbert

Originally Posted by Steamer
Not on a bent with the BB even with or above the bottom of the seat. (Unless you use old fashioned slotted cleats).

OP - Yes. The threads are standard 9/16" on any bike/trike other than a BSO (bicycle shaped object).
Thanks for confirmation on the pedal thread size.
Old 03-01-22, 07:39 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by newbert
OP here - I forgot to mention that I have NO interest in clipless pedals because I need to move my feet around on the pedals a bit to relieve occasional foot-cramping. While it's certainly the most secure solution, I feel that being clipped in would be too restrictive for me. So, I'm looking for an alternative solution.
One source of foot cramps when using regular shoes is the deflection of the shoe under load, with only partial support from the pedal. Cycling shoes with a rigid sole help prevent that problem.

If you use regular shoes and heel slings, use the largest platform pedal you can find, and make sure it has lots of pins.
Old 03-01-22, 07:53 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by newbert
Yep! Clips do not allow you to adjust your foot position very much at all. The PowerGrip straps, that I previously recommended, allow a lot of adjustment while holding your foot securely. They can be used with platform pedals as well. Heel straps are an option. I did try them but didn't feel as secure as with powergrip straps.
Old 03-01-22, 03:23 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
I'll say too that if your sole is stiff enough, then it doesn't matter how small the interface is between shoe and pedal - your foot only knows whether or not the insole is deforming. A friend was having problems with hotfoot, and it turned out his decade-old shoes had lost their stiffness. They may have fit well, but they were the problem! New shoes fixed it. The other thing to check is to make sure the pedal's spindle falls *just* behind the ball of your foot. Some people like to have it fall WAY behind the ball of the foot; but just make sure it's not too far forward. Pedaling on your toes may feel more powerful but it causes problems, from hotfoot to shin splints to pulled Achilles tendons.
Old 03-02-22, 12:33 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
A two sided pedal is the way to go IMO. Do clip in to prevent leg suck, and the flat side is useful for moving the bike around at low speed.
Old 04-12-22, 04:45 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
I make cheap power grip straps out of double sided velcro. Just run thru the pedals under the center and up over at the right angle. Works just like power grip straps (which I have had) and doesn't get that frayed edge look, lol.
Old 04-12-22, 05:39 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Also couldn't tolerate clipless pedals

This picture is very close to what will come with your Catrike. They use the same type OEM pedal for all their models. I chose not to use them on my CT700 when I got it brand new as I prefer to use strapless mini-toe clips and standard platform pedals (2nd pix). You just remove the pedal reflectors in order to install the toe clip to the pedal. I never used the OEM pedals (still have them somewhere) because I couldn't use the mini-toe clip on it. Like you, I can't tolerate clipless pedals and haven't used them in decades. Two decades riding a trike and no injury due to leg suck with many thousand miles.

Some day I will get around to installing a set of Campi Record pedals that have been sitting in the box for decades but the Nashbar platform pedals have gone through three trikes and still function well. Mini-toe clips used to cost about $5 a set. The price is now double the last time I bought a set - $10 https://www.ebay.com/itm/393436371354 I have a set of powergrips sitting in a drawer. When I gifted an old MTB to a friend, he insisted I take off the Powergrips. I never used them. They came with the used bike.
Old 04-14-22, 01:00 AM
J Palmer Cass

Bikes: ICE Adventure, TSDZ2

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I use mountain bike pedals with aggressive spikes. Works well for me.
Old 04-15-22, 05:34 PM
northernjeep

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 11 Posts
I made my own heel straps using a bit of alum flat stock, a couple pop rivets and then 2 small bolts to fasten to the pedals, no leg suck after that.
Old 04-21-22, 10:39 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Powergrips, either commercially-made or homemade, seem to be a good solution which not only keeps your foot from slipping off the pedals in rough patches; but also allow a bit of pulling to help smooth out the pedal stroke.