Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hub bearings: Abec 3 vs Abec 5 vs Ceramic

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-11-22, 07:38 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts

Hello all,

I need some new bearings for my rear wheel hub. I am looking at Enduro bearings. I am wondering whether I should get Abec 3 or 5 or Ceramic (hybrid) bearings.

When I got new front wheel bearings, I got the Ceramic, and they have been great, roll really really smooth. But back then, I got them on a steep discount. So I am wondering if they are worth it.

The Abec 3 are 5.99 EUR a piece
The Abec 5 are 8.95 EUR a piece
The Ceramic hybric (ceramic balls and steel races) are 28.99 EUR a piece.

I am thinking the ceramic is kind of silly expensive. Is it a noticeable difference in rolling resistance over steel Abec 5? Is it noticeably more durable? I don't race, but I do put a lot of miles on my bike.

Thanks!
Old 04-11-22, 10:40 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
This has been discussed countless times over many years. Ceramic bearings are a complete waste of money on a bicycle. Any part of a bicycle. Ceramic bearings are great for very high rpm applications, we're talking thousands of rpm. Not gonna happen on a bicycle. They're great for very high heat applications. Again, not gonna happen on a bicycle. They also perform best in a clean application. Once again, not likely on a bicycle. Any steel bearing you buy from Enduro will be fine.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 04-11-22, 10:45 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Get a higher grade abec, my skates have 7 and they're very noticeable vs the 3s I'd previously used, would have to assume the same would be true for bikes.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 04-12-22, 01:50 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Thanks guys!
Old 04-12-22, 12:19 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Yeah it's been discussed a lot. I think I have a blog entry on it as well on my site. That said - I deal with Enduro a lot. ABEC 3 bearings just don't tend to last as long as the 5's. Most likely from a difference in seals possibly(?) - don't know. Just know that every ABEC3 we eventually replace is replaced with a 5 and lasts longer than the 3's did.

Their Hybrid ceramic - they're fun to show people. ....

Honestly I really like Kogel bearings. More for the total construction and seals. Such a higher life out of them. I would LOVE to say there is a performance difference but I will leave that up to others to debate. Unloaded bearing freespin vs loaded is kind of meaningless but a lot of fun to show people.

Likes For Psimet2001: