Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Campy Record Mech or Shimano Ultegra Di2?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Campy Record Mech or Shimano Ultegra Di2?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-22, 03:56 PM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
I can compare my last Campy group, 2014 Chorus on my Merckx Century with the Ultegra Di2 on my Super Six. On a ride I’ve done four times, twice with each bike, over 125 miles and 16,000’, I was blown away by how comfortable my hands were at the end with the Ultegra Di2 setup with disc brakes. My Bolt tells me I shifted more than 2,000 times. The ease of shifting helps greatly on this ride. I agree that the finesse possible with Di2 makes that desperate shift possible. Di2 simply keeps working flawlessly.
Old 06-23-22, 11:33 AM
Bruizer

Bikes: Grazzini,Litespeed,and Pinarello

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I've owned every speed of Campy lever from 8 to 12 speed. Bob is right about the need to use some force with these levers, particularly the thumb button. One of the things I like about sram axs is the minimal force required to make every shift and the fact that two levers do all the work, where other brands require four. That's great with gloves on in the winter. Making shifts from the drops Is also easier since it requires only a light touch of the lever. I have small hands and use the brake lever adjustment at the closest to the bar position. I made a similar modification to all of my Campy levers about 15 years before Campy added that feature. A little epoxy putty behind the brake lever release pin will bring the brake lever in closer to the bars.
A year or so back when on a quiet country road I thought “ why do I prefer hard braking from the hoods and not the drops, why is that?” Then, about ten months ago I restored my early 90’s steel bike that had Campy Ergo 8 speed on it. On my first ride after the rebuild I realized the reason I prefer to brake from the hoods. I could barely reach the levers from the drops. I never had that problem with Shimano and I don’t have small hands.
Old 06-23-22, 05:29 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
This might sound like I'm referring to the "character" difference between mechanical and electronic shifting, but this really is particular to modern Campy mechanical versus...well, anybody's electronic, so definitely Ultegra Di2:

- Campy requires a certain degree of brute force.

Neither is necessarily better than the other, but Campy definitely requires more effort.
I'd personally refer to it as shifting with "authority". Or maybe 'without prejudice'
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 06-23-22, 06:38 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A

and if there's a particular "character" to the Record groupset that the Ultegra doesn't have. And for reference, I'm using an Ultegra R8000 (mech) now.
Yeah the Campag has a slow, clunky action, while the Ultegra doesn't.
Old 06-23-22, 07:31 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I think you can be happy with either.

Let us know what you went with? Pics??
This. I have been riding a bike with Di2 and it is nice. But the shifting "difference" is not dramatic and honestly no different than a good mechanical system. The shifter "feel" is lighter but shifting force is not really an issue.

I also have a Campag 11 speed bike (H11) and a EKAR bike. One think I will say is that Campag disc brakes are substantially and dramatically better than the Shimano brakes.

I am used to the Campag way of shifting but I think people would be happy with either.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 06-25-22, 08:15 AM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Reading all of these posts is quite interesting, lots of experience here. I guess I’ll throw in my two cents on what I’ve learned.
I’ve owned 3 bikes with mechanical Record 10 or 11, one with SRAM Force and 5-6 with various degrees of Shimano usually Ultegra or Dura Ace (all mechanical) and I can’t say I really noticed much difference in terms of function, it was more preference for me once I put in enough miles to get used to each.
For me it’s Campy all the way and I’ve never noticed any more force needed to shift ? It certainly is different but it doesn’t seem harder (ALTM) I have to admit I’ve never tried electronic and likely never will as I just can’t justify the cost when I’m already so happy with what I have. Plus at 61 any “need” for an edge is far behind me 😄 I do centuries or farther as my ride of choice which tends to be in one gear for a long time so ease of shifting becomes less critical.
I still admire the technology and can’t help to wonder what’s next ?
Old 06-25-22, 02:55 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I'm 69. In July I'll have two years on sram force axs. Once set up, it doesn't need occasional tweaks. So much easier to make shifts from the drops.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 06-26-22, 06:11 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Di2 is flawless. Well, almost. On vacation a couple weeks ago mine stopped shifting. Tracking down the disconnection without all the tools I needed or having no work stand was an issue.

I’d still take it every time and that disconnection was very very rare and caused by a bar tape issue. It was the only day I’ve ever missed mechanical.