Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Battery discharge

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Battery discharge

Old 06-19-22, 05:35 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Battery discharge

So my new 36v 12ah ebike battery is at 36.8 with 30 miles on it. That seems great to me, it's only about 40% depleted per voltage chart. My question is do the batteries discharge faster the lower the voltage gets or should I expect to get at least another 30 miles assuming similar riding circumstances? I did notice on my friction drive system the drop off speed increased as the battery juice depleted but it also was a tiny 130Wh battery. Wondering what to expect so I don't make an assumption that gets me stranded, lol. thx
Old 06-20-22, 09:19 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
That's really impressive; You used 36 X 12 X O.4 = 173 wh in 30 miles or less than 6 wh per mile. Of course expect a drop off in speed as the battery depletes since speed is "somewhat" proportional to Voltage for a given system. I "think" you'll have slightly less efficiency for the next 30 miles, but probably be OK. It would be an interesting experiment, but stay above 10-20% of charge if possible.Thanks for tha data. My best efficiency is usually about 7 wh per mile, but frequently 20 - 25 on steep off roads.
Old 06-20-22, 09:54 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I pretty much stick in level 1 and put in some real effort pedaling with very brief bumps to go over short inclines. I'll be happy if I can get 45 miles, that's the round trip from my house across the San Rafael Bridge to Marin and back. I'll go look at the voltage chart to see what 20% is and make a mental note to hold that line. Thx for the advice.
Likes For linberl: