Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Post Pics of Your Independent Fabrication Roadie

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Post Pics of Your Independent Fabrication Roadie

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-07, 02:29 PM
dogpound
1 trick pony

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, my tri bike is steel, so is mango ( the one above, which I got from ebay by the way)
if I were going to go new now, I'd either go high end steel crown jewel or ti, I don't think i'd do the XS though I have seen them in person and they are really nice.
Old 02-21-07, 02:37 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got back from a ride on my Ti CJ and it is really a great bike. For me, if I were to order one today, I would get the same thing. I don't see the need for carbon stays or tubes on this bike. My other bike is carbon so I guess I get that fix when I ride it. For overall longterm reliablity it is hard to beat an all Ti bike. I think IF could make it ride the way you want but be sure that you truely know what you want. I'll try to take a picture and add it sometime later today.
Old 02-21-07, 02:40 PM
FormerBMX'er

Bikes: 2011 Tsunami, 2004 Fuji Team Issue and More!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice to see a shop right outside my backdoor do so well.
Old 02-21-07, 02:46 PM
Blue Jays
Banned

Bikes: roadbikes and full-suspension mountainbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi dogpound-

Originally Posted by dogpound
"...I'd either go high end steel Crown Jewel or Ti, I don't think I'd do the XS though I have seen them in person and they are really nice..."
What is it about the newer XS model that encourages you NOT to purchase it, if they are very nice in person? There is a side of me that thinks a well-crafted steel Crown Jewel might be nearly as light as the Ti version and likely stiffer. Maybe similar in weight/stiffness to the XS as well. There aren't zillions of I.F. owners out there, so all insights and advice is greatly appreciated. The pictures are simply awesome...

~ Blue Jays ~
Old 02-21-07, 05:22 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had to stand out in the rain to get this picture of my bike against the garage door.

Not the best angle or lighting either. This is my mountain century bike with its winter wheels.

Old 02-21-07, 05:39 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A little better picture.

Old 02-21-07, 05:46 PM
Blue Jays
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi BikeWNC-

Your I.F. almost has a unique bronze-colored cast to it. I don't know if that is the wooden floor reflecting upwards, but it looks sharp either way. I'm assuming this is a Ti version?

~ Blue Jays ~
Old 02-21-07, 05:49 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Jays
Hi BikeWNC-

Your I.F. almost has a unique bronze-colored cast to it. I don't know if that is the wooden floor reflecting upwards, but it looks sharp either way. I'm assuming this is a Ti version?

~ Blue Jays ~
Yes. it's Ti. The bronze cast is either the floor as you say or just dirt from the road today. I've thought about getting it painted, but the natural finish is just no worry at all.
Old 02-21-07, 05:54 PM
Blue Jays
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi BikeWNC-

Or clean it very well and buff any minor scratches with Scotchbrite...and then have the I.F. factory shoot it with clearcoat. It would be easier to wipe down after riding, too.

~ Blue Jays ~
Old 02-21-07, 05:57 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Jays
Hi BikeWNC-

Or clean it very well and buff any minor scratches with Scotchbrite...and then have the I.F. factory shoot it with clearcoat. It would be easier to wipe down after riding, too.

~ Blue Jays ~
That'a a good idea. I find that the shot peened finish does like to hold dirt more than my ex litespeed.
Old 02-21-07, 06:05 PM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hows the stiffness in the bottombracket and rear end?

I need custom geometry really bad and I can get an IF easily since there is a dealer in town. I guess for reference, I have a Cannondale CAAD8.
Old 02-21-07, 06:19 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nitropowered
Hows the stiffness in the bottombracket and rear end?

I need custom geometry really bad and I can get an IF easily since there is a dealer in town. I guess for reference, I have a Cannondale CAAD8.
When I talked to Matt at IF about building the bike, I spcifically told him I didn't want a crit bike, that it was to be used for long hilly rides. I also didn't want a noodle. I wanted a frame that would handle my weight out of the saddle and in sprints but needed comfort for the long days. I think they nailed it.

One thing you probably can't see in the photos are the really stout chainstays. They may be an inch in diameter. Helps to make the rear end very solid. While this bike doesn't feel quite as snappy as my Calfee, it is more mindless in its manners, which is what I spec'ed. It's very responsive too, just not twitchy.
Old 02-21-07, 06:31 PM
Blue Jays
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi BikeWNC-

Even given the large frame, the chainstays still look beefy. That was an excellent I.F. review in a matter of a few concise sentences. Definitely a great contribution to the thread.

~ Blue Jays ~
Old 02-22-07, 08:27 PM
markwebb
The Recycled Cycler

Bikes: Real Steel. Really. Ti is cool, too !

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah - on my new old IF I just received this week, the seat stays are enormous, but bike is still very lite. It's a steel IF CJ. I think it's 853 main triangle and Columbus? stays?
Old 02-22-07, 08:44 PM
Blue Jays
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi markwebb-

There isn't too much information available on the bikes INDEPENDENT FABRICATION has crafted of either 853 and the new 953 tubes. I'm thinking they're probably pretty darn sweet and just getting somewhat overshadowed by the flashiness of the carbon fiber XS model and the attention given by the media to that particular model. Give us a report when you complete some saddle time on your Crown Jewel. We're very curious to learn things like:
  • appearance
  • driveline stiffness
  • ride stability
  • value for price paid
  • weld quality
  • overall weight
  • ride impressions
Thanks a million,

~ Blue Jays ~
Old 02-22-07, 10:21 PM
SingleSpeeDemon
Team Sohoku

Bikes: BMC, Cannondale, '87 Nishiki Modulus, 3Rensho Keirin

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not mine, but OUCH
Old 02-23-07, 12:36 AM
Blue Jays
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi All-

I think I'll pass on that Crown Jewel with the ever-so-unique radically bent seatstays! Hopefully that claim was resolved quickly and easily.

~ Blue Jays ~
Old 02-23-07, 07:35 AM
whitemax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
When I talked to Matt at IF about building the bike, I spcifically told him I didn't want a crit bike, that it was to be used for long hilly rides. I also didn't want a noodle. I wanted a frame that would handle my weight out of the saddle and in sprints but needed comfort for the long days. I think they nailed it.

One thing you probably can't see in the photos are the really stout chainstays. They may be an inch in diameter. Helps to make the rear end very solid. While this bike doesn't feel quite as snappy as my Calfee, it is more mindless in its manners, which is what I spec'ed. It's very responsive too, just not twitchy.
I requested a very similar build. Mine is a 58cm ti crown jewell and came in at 3 1/2 lbs. Very stiff, no flex issues. Not quite as responsive as my CAAD7 Cannondale nor is it twitchy like the Cannondale. What size did you get and how much did it weigh? I believe mine weighs as it does because they beefed up the chain stay area for added stiffness.
Old 02-23-07, 08:50 AM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whitemax
I requested a very similar build. Mine is a 58cm ti crown jewell and came in at 3 1/2 lbs. Very stiff, no flex issues. Not quite as responsive as my CAAD7 Cannondale nor is it twitchy like the Cannondale. What size did you get and how much did it weigh? I believe mine weighs as it does because they beefed up the chain stay area for added stiffness.
It's a 61cm measured c-c. It weighs right around 3.0 lbs and I weigh between 172-184 depending on the time of year. I'm 6'3". This is my comfort long distance bike. It is setup with a triple, though I don't use the granny gear much, just a bail out or for really long days when it can help save the legs.

My other bike has a smaller frame, longer stem, shorter wheelbase and is quicker steering. I also ride it on centuries but only if there is not too much climbing.
Old 02-23-07, 10:56 AM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's a 61cm measured c-c. It weighs right around 3.0 lbs and I weigh between 172-184 depending on the time of year. I'm 6'3". This is my comfort long distance bike. It is setup with a triple, though I don't use the granny gear much, just a bail out or for really long days when it can help save the legs.

My other bike has a smaller frame, longer stem, shorter wheelbase and is quicker steering. I also ride it on centuries but only if there is not too much climbing.
Im puzzled as to why mine weighs more than yours. Sharp bike you have there by the way
Old 02-23-07, 11:21 AM
brunop
hell's angels h/q e3st ny

Bikes: surly steamroller, independent fabrication titanium club racer, iro jamie roy--44/16, independent fabrication steel crown jewel--47/17, surly karate. monkey (rohloff speed hub), unicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah i have 2 IF's--a steel crown jewel fixed gear and a ti club racer.

i'm terrible with cameras and computers. but i dig them bikes lemme tell ya!
Old 02-23-07, 06:48 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whitemax
Im puzzled as to why mine weighs more than yours. Sharp bike you have there by the way
The frame was weighed when it was first built up. Maybe the bikeshop scale was off. The whole bike with Dura-Ace 9sp triple, Ksyrium sl wheels, Keo carbon pedals, Aliante saddle, Easton Equipe bar and Elite cages weighs 17.75 lbs. Not super light but OK. I could make it lighter pretty easily but my weight weenie days are mostly over.
Old 02-26-07, 08:23 AM
whitemax

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The frame was weighed when it was first built up. Maybe the bikeshop scale was off. The whole bike with Dura-Ace 9sp triple, Ksyrium sl wheels, Keo carbon pedals, Aliante saddle, Easton Equipe bar and Elite cages weighs 17.75 lbs. Not super light but OK. I could make it lighter pretty easily but my weight weenie days are mostly over.
Mines a tad under 17 lbs. with pedals. All DA except for FD which is ultegra. Kysyrium SL's. Zero brakes is what got me that low. Lots of money to get under 17. Most my size report a ti frame around 3 lbs. or lower regardless of which brand.
Old 02-26-07, 11:03 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Here's my Ti Crown Jewel.

Old 02-26-07, 11:34 AM
Blue Jays
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi LowCel-

Your choice of that "burnt orange" color coupled with the black carbon fiber seatstays / forks along with natural titanium chainstays is fantastic! Do you happen to have close-up photographs of the various decals on the bike along with different angles? Congratulations on the cool bike, you must be loving it. Did you consider a steel Crown Jewel or carbon fiber XS when purchasing? If so, how did you ultimately make your decision on this beautiful bike?

~ Blue Jays ~

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.