Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Aluminum vs. Steel - Comfort

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-21, 02:58 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Aluminum vs. Steel - Comfort

I'm looking at two bikes, each with the same reg price, for light-duty (pea size, fairly smooth) gravel riding (80% of my riding would be road). Each has the same 37mm tires (both frames/forks can go up to 42mm). The aluminum bike has Apex 1x and is on sale for $300 less. The chromo-steel bike has Tiagra but with FSA crank. Both have hydro's. I realize a number of factors play into riding comfort, but I'm wondering how much stiffer/rigid is the aluminum over the steel? I've ridden both over the years, and even the aluminum I had wasn't that stiff. I'm sure this varies frame to frame for the same materials. I'm thinking of going with the aluminum (after I try it out for fit), and if I want more 'plush' I can add 42mm tires later, but if it's fine as is then I'll leave it be for now. I'm setting it up tubeless in any case. This is a second bike for occasional use, so I'm not going to over-think it, but it's really down to these two options (supply during Covid a problem) and I unfortunately can't give each a full outdoor test ride in the winter.
Old 01-04-21, 05:46 PM
scubaman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 37 Posts
Based on the info in your post, I think there is zero way for any of us to know anything about the comparative ride qualities of these two bikes.
Likes For scubaman:
Old 01-04-21, 09:28 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
I'm looking at two bikes, each with the same reg price, for light-duty (pea size, fairly smooth) gravel riding (80% of my riding would be road). Each has the same 37mm tires (both frames/forks can go up to 42mm). The aluminum bike has Apex 1x and is on sale for $300 less. The chromo-steel bike has Tiagra but with FSA crank. Both have hydro's. I realize a number of factors play into riding comfort, but I'm wondering how much stiffer/rigid is the aluminum over the steel? I've ridden both over the years, and even the aluminum I had wasn't that stiff. I'm sure this varies frame to frame for the same materials. I'm thinking of going with the aluminum (after I try it out for fit), and if I want more 'plush' I can add 42mm tires later, but if it's fine as is then I'll leave it be for now. I'm setting it up tubeless in any case. This is a second bike for occasional use, so I'm not going to over-think it, but it's really down to these two options (supply during Covid a problem) and I unfortunately can't give each a full outdoor test ride in the winter.

It’s almost like your asking what’s heavier, a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks? Not enough info.
Old 01-04-21, 11:56 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister
It’s almost like your asking what’s heavier, a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks? Not enough info.
I used this example last week at dinner and my 10yo argued over and over that the bricks are heavier. My 14yo was losing her mind with frustration.

Finally after I explained it for 8th time, my 10yo said 'ok yes I know they weigh the same, but they are different and the bricks will feel heavier when they hit me.'
Couldn't really argue with that.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-05-21, 03:17 AM
Igor_M

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 E117 Disc - 2020 Mason Bokeh - 2015 Fuji Touring - 1997 Peugeot Performance 2000 - 19?? Mars trekking

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Bike frames are basically trusses thus inherently stiff. According to some (I have CyclingAbout and PeakTorque in mind) the whole frame material stiffness/compliance topic is greatly exaggerated. In all likelihood components such as tyres, saddle, seatpost have a much bigger influence.

So go with whatever looks cooler and put some suspension seatpost/stem on it.
Likes For Igor_M:
Old 01-05-21, 08:37 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
The industry has decided that steel should be more expensive, so my bias is to go with aluminum if everything else is equal.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I used this example last week at dinner and my 10yo argued over and over that the bricks are heavier. My 14yo was losing her mind with frustration.
I definitely agree that feathers are lighter if throwing is involved. I once found an item in the McMaster Carr catalog that had, "weight per pound" in the description table. I have always been curious where that came from.

At one time aluminum had the reputation of being too stiff. I think they have it worked out so that isn't really a concern any more. It was probably overblown in the first place.

Last edited by unterhausen; 01-05-21 at 08:45 AM.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 01-05-21, 08:57 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
After 60 years of skinny steel tubes and skinny tires, about three weeks ago I switched to fat aluminum tubes and wider tires against my will because that was what was available and I needed a new bike. I think the biggest difference was from the tires and the lower inflation I can use on them. And I no longer notice the bottom bracket moving laterally, which I don't miss. Love the wider tires; never going back to skinny, and now I'm agnostic on frames.
Likes For mdarnton:
Old 01-05-21, 06:33 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Higher quality aluminum frames are fine but the inexpensive aluminum frames err to the rigid side. The higher quality aluminum frames start to get up to the price of good steel or low-end carbon however so you just see aluminum mainly in the inexpensive (<$1200) gravel bikes.
Old 01-05-21, 06:51 PM
tinkerbike

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Sorry Keith...

Strong. Light. Cheap.

Pick aluminum. Get all three!
Likes For tinkerbike:
Old 01-05-21, 06:57 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
I like both.
Old 01-05-21, 07:09 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Steel in my opinion has a nicer feel and ride quality to it while still being quite stiff and often, fairly light. That's not to say that an aluminum can't be comfortable provided that the frame is a good fit for you.,
Old 01-05-21, 07:26 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 110 Posts
Of the two bikes in the original post, I'd pick the steel bike, mostly because of the drivetrain. I like/need wide range gearing (sub-1:1 low) and close ratios. Mutually exclusive with only one chainring. YMMV.
Old 01-06-21, 07:41 AM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
At one time aluminum had the reputation of being too stiff. I think they have it worked out so that isn't really a concern any more. It was probably overblown in the first place.
As someone who rode a late 80s Cannondale crit bike I would agree, particularly when you're talking about smaller frames. I couldn't tell a difference between any of the frame materials used back then on my small framed bikes.
Old 01-11-21, 03:41 PM
Cpn_Dunsel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts
Tire size & psi combined with geometry are far more significant than choice of frame material when it comes to creating comfort on any modern bicycle,.
Old 01-11-21, 03:45 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel
Tire size & psi combined with geometry are far more significant than choice of frame material when it comes to creating comfort on any modern bicycle,.
Beat me to it by ONE post. The more comfortable bike will be the one with the larger, plusher tires.
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 01-11-21, 04:02 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by bOsscO
Beat me to it by ONE post. The more comfortable bike will be the one with the larger, plusher tires.
A bike doesn't need to have cushy tires to be comfortable.

Other than geometry, it's mostly dependent on how well the bike fits you.
Old 01-11-21, 04:41 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by Moisture

While large tires aren't required for comfort, there is a direct connection between supple large volume tires at lower pressure and comfort.

Furthermore, you missed the point that both of the posters were making. They were saying that they view tire volume and pressure will play a larger role in comfort than frame material doesnt mean fitment isnt important, so why you felt it necessary to bring that into the equation is odd.
Bike fit being equal, they view tire volume and psi as more vital than frame material for comfort.

You tracking now?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-11-21, 05:08 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr

While large tires aren't required for comfort, there is a direct connection between supple large volume tires at lower pressure and comfort.

Furthermore, you missed the point that both of the posters were making. They were saying that they view tire volume and pressure will play a larger role in comfort than frame material doesnt mean fitment isnt important, so why you felt it necessary to bring that into the equation is odd.
Bike fit being equal, they view tire volume and psi as more vital than frame material for comfort.

You tracking now?
I disagree .

Slapping thick tires onto an otherwise poorly fitting frame and expecting the ride to be cushy is silly.
Likes For Moisture:
Old 01-11-21, 05:11 PM
Cpn_Dunsel

Please stop reframing other user's comments and creating straw man arguments.

Your second statement is silly and just plain ignorant. Have a nice day.
Likes For Cpn_Dunsel:
Old 01-11-21, 05:19 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

I disagree .

Slapping thick tires onto an otherwise poorly fitting frame and expecting the ride to be cushy is silly.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-11-21, 06:26 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Please stop reframing other user's comments and creating straw man arguments.

Your second statement is silly and just plain ignorant. Have a nice day.
Allow me to elaborate my point of view.

A good fitting frame, at least from my perspective, would be something which ensures that you do not have too much bodyweight leaning fore and aft over either axle of the bike during any given time of your ride. Eg a frame which is too small, or simply has a stem too long for your needs would cause you to lean forward too much, ruining ride comfort over uneven surfaces.

In short, my idea of ride comfort is mostly associated with:

Stack, stem length and top tube length ensures you are not stretched over the frame and riding front heavy

Reach ensures your weight is properly distributed between the two axles when riding over obstacles which subconsciously motivate you to take some weight off the saddle.

The end result is an extremely smooth ride regardless of which frame material or tires you are using.

It really can't be any more simple.
Old 01-11-21, 08:08 PM
Cpn_Dunsel

Allow me to elaborate my ..... .

Allow you?

I cannot stop you and I will say this: I have zero interest in your point of view or in any further interaction with you.
Likes For Cpn_Dunsel:
Old 01-11-21, 08:30 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
I'd also lean towards the double, its probably an FSA omega which seems to turn up with Tiagra. In my experience its a passable crank, nothing impressive and sometimes comes with an annoying 19mm spindle that only FSA makes a BB for but still reliable. Tiagra is a good groupset in my experience, for my money I'm happier with Tiagra vs. 105 and don't feel its a group you can go wrong with. 1x is nice but for a bike that can see a wide range of terrain and elevation I'd prefer 2x. Aluminum vs. steel; I have a 4130 cromoly road frame, a columbus genius road frame and a custom steel cross and like the ride of all of them, opposite that I have an aluminum c-dale mtb and an aluminum gravel and have no real preference between them, except the custom cross, that's a dream to ride but its more then a basic bike.
Old 01-11-21, 09:15 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Allow you?

I cannot stop you and I will say this: I have zero interest in your point of view or in any further interaction with you.
Perhaps you're unaware that Moisture has been studying bikes for nearly two months now.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-12-21, 03:02 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
I'd also lean towards the double, its probably an FSA omega which seems to turn up with Tiagra. In my experience its a passable crank, nothing impressive and sometimes comes with an annoying 19mm spindle that only FSA makes a BB for but still reliable. Tiagra is a good groupset in my experience, for my money I'm happier with Tiagra vs. 105 and don't feel its a group you can go wrong with. 1x is nice but for a bike that can see a wide range of terrain and elevation I'd prefer 2x. Aluminum vs. steel; I have a 4130 cromoly road frame, a columbus genius road frame and a custom steel cross and like the ride of all of them, opposite that I have an aluminum c-dale mtb and an aluminum gravel and have no real preference between them, except the custom cross, that's a dream to ride but its more then a basic bike.
As far as I am aware, the differences in price between the different groupssts is really the biggest difference. They are all built to a good standard and perform commendably across the board. The only real difference between today's low end equipment versus vintage stuff is that today's should be avoided .

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Perhaps you're unaware that Moisture has been studying bikes for nearly two months now.

You guys are the biggest trolls

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.