Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Tyre help

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-21, 01:23 AM
joeyrago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tyre help

Hi guys,

Probably a novice question but i need some help in regards to purchasing some winter tyres for my GIANT ROAM 3 disc bike.

The bike itself is equiped with tubeless tyres with the dimensions on them (700x420) (42x622).

Im looking at some tyres (Schwalbe marathon winter performance clincher tire 28") With the dimensions 42 -622 but then 28x1.60
new to biking and im confused with this second inch marking on the tyres i want to buy.

Will they fit my bike as i dont wanna order the wrong size.

Cheers,
Joey
Old 09-28-21, 02:03 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyrago
Will they fit
Yes.

42-622 means that the tire has a nominal inflated width of 42mm, and mounts to a rim with a bead seat diameter of 622mm.
A bead seat diameter of 622mm is usually referred to as "700c" (when talking about road/gravel bike wheels and tires) or as "29 inch" (when talking about mountain bike wheels tires). But some tire companies - notably Schwalbe and Continental - also refer to it as 28".
Old 09-28-21, 02:08 AM
joeyrago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thankyou so much for the help mate.

Just out of curiosity what does the 28x1.60 refer to on the product description? is this just an old measurement unit or something?
Old 09-28-21, 11:03 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Just out of curiosity what does the 28x1.60 refer to on the product description? is this just an old measurement unit or something?
The units are inches. 1.6" is the nominal inflated tire width, and 28" is roughly the diameter of the inflated wheel+tire combination. I say "roughly" because the actual inflated diameter will change depending on how wide the tire is.

If you're curious about tire sizing conventions, check this out:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
Old 09-30-21, 10:47 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Thankyou so much for the help mate.

Its weird, but a 28 and 29 inch tire fit the same 700c rim (which has a 622 diameter). Go figure.

Generally with road and gravel, stick to metric measurements if you don't want to be confused.
(Well, a 700c 42mm tires is a 622-42 tire so there is that confusion).