Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Specialized Sequoia Question

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 01-15-20, 05:33 PM
mmmc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Hi,

I've made a couple posts over the last few days. I've been spending a lot of time researching different bikes, styles, uses, etc. I'm still very new to biking. I haven't in probably 10+ years and it's been probably 15+ since I rode (wildly at times) through NYC in my 20's and 30's.

I think I just located, a really great deal which I should probably pull the trigger on tomorrow. I found two brand new 2018 black Sequoia model bikes in 52CM and 54CM, so one of them will work on my 5'9" frame at 165lbs. I believe I can work a deal for $700 without tax. That would be around 50% off retail from 2 years ago.

I didn't know about this genre of bikes "gravel" or adventure, but after lots of reading, it seems to fill lots of useful purposes in my mostly flat Miami Beach area and the many parks trails in South Florida.

Asking the experienced people if you pull the trigger on this if you're in my situation? Funny, just earlier I said I wanted to buy a $1500 bike for $750 and I might be able to accomplish that.

Thanks for any suggestions, comments, thoughts on this bike. Reviews seem great on the internet.

Last edited by mmmc; 01-15-20 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-15-20, 05:46 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Haave you set eyes on these bikes yet? I am just wondering why they are being sold for so little.
Old 01-15-20, 05:52 PM
mmmc

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Haave you set eyes on these bikes yet? I am just wondering why they are being sold for so little.
Going over tomorrow most likely. It's from a totally legit business in South Florida with very good reviews and established relationships in the biking community down here. I was turned on to them from a local resident today. I think they are overstocked because of the very large college student population at UM and the many other campuses throughout Miami. That's just my thought, but I bet there is some correlation. Big bike communities down here I'm learning. I think there is demand. They probably just over stocked that year. They actually have 52CM, 54CM and 56CM all brand new in box still.

Knowing that now, seems like a good deal right?
Old 01-15-20, 06:10 PM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
It sounds like a decent deal, yes. The black model was the base model with steel forks, as opposed to carbon forks. Better for front racks, though, and still has very decent ride qualities, as compared to alloy. There are a couple of things to look out for with the Sequoia, though.

Specialized used a proprietary headset on those bikes, so they can be hard to get replacements for, although I am not 100% certain that applies to the steel forks on the base model. Also, their wheels are fairly awful and probably the worst feature of the bike. Relatively good frame and other components, although the frames can develop cracks, but very ordinary wheels. I'd personally factor the cost of a new wheelset into buying a Sequoia, because it's a matter of when you'll need it, rather than if you will.

Also, be aware that Specialized has stopped making the Sequoia, and its older brother, the AWOL. Not a huge deal, but it does have issues for warranty replacements, etc.
Old 01-15-20, 06:34 PM
mmmc

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PDKL45
It sounds like a decent deal, yes. The black model was the base model with steel forks, as opposed to carbon forks. Better for front racks, though, and still has very decent ride qualities, as compared to alloy. There are a couple of things to look out for with the Sequoia, though.

Specialized used a proprietary headset on those bikes, so they can be hard to get replacements for, although I am not 100% certain that applies to the steel forks on the base model. Also, their wheels are fairly awful and probably the worst feature of the bike. Relatively good frame and other components, although the frames can develop cracks, but very ordinary wheels. I'd personally factor the cost of a new wheelset into buying a Sequoia, because it's a matter of when you'll need it, rather than if you will.

Also, be aware that Specialized has stopped making the Sequoia, and its older brother, the AWOL. Not a huge deal, but it does have issues for warranty replacements, etc.
Great insights and much appreciated. Good to know about these no longer being in production and something to consider. I did read one other place about complaints concerning the wheels.

After thinking about it, this is totally the bike for me. In its use and just all about value. I tend to ride things lightly. When I moved to Miami in 2017, I bought a Vespa to add to my mini fleet and as of today it doesn't have a scratch on it and about 1800 miles. Very lightly used tires with little to no wear. Same with my car. In fact I'm still rocking an iPhone 6+ first model (yeah, do for an upgrade), but I'm not one of these crazies we all know who get something and burn into the ground in a year. If I can get 4-5 years out of this bike (with the wheels/tires that comes with it) and sell it for $300-$350, which seems to be the margin for resale, I'm totally good with that.
Old 01-18-20, 10:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
The Sequoias have generally been on sale, it is an older model year and it was the base model but Specialized has been closing out a lot of that stuff because currently they haven't made any new models and might be moving away from steel again (boooo!!!!)

I can agree on the comment on specialized headsets owning 3 of their bikes but the good folks at Cane Creek have you covered as does Chris King and White Industries and many others. You just need to measure and have your local shop order you something which you don't have to do right away if the base model uses sealed cartridge bearings (which the pro module does) if they use caged bearings then replace even a Cane Creek 40 is a fine option if you are looking to save money.

The frame cracking I haven't yet seen and I have sold quite a few Sequoias. Other frames most especially aluminum have cracked but steel not so much.

The bike itself has some lower end parts on it but the frame itself would be a decent candidate for upgrading especially at the price.

I would certainly test ride the bike first but having ridden the Elite and now owning a pro module I am building up I can say I liked the bike and geometry and was excited to own one.
Old 01-19-20, 07:50 AM
BillinPA

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Smartweld,Specialized Sirrus Sport, Townie 7D, Specialized crave comp 29er

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have a 61cm seqoiua. I really like it. Good all around bike. I did upgrade rear wheel as I was having spoke issues. I am a clyde so there is that.
Old 01-19-20, 09:35 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
At that kind of discount, I’d buy it. I’m a long time Specialized fan and have never had an issue with their frames. Ever. Their stock wheels, however, have been disappointing these last several years. I’m pretty sure my gradual ascension into Clyde territory has a lot to do with that. At your size and weight you should have no problem.

Buy. Ride. Enjoy.

-Kedosto
Old 01-19-20, 10:32 AM
mmmc

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Just wanted to say thanks all. Great insights. I purchased it on Friday. Just a quick note since I've been so out of touch of bikes for probably 15 years, that I have nothing but positive comments for Mack Cycles in Miami. They've been around since the 50's and I'm totally happy to give a local shop my business. The good old way things are done. They sized me, set me up, gave me a bunch of helpful little tips for managing the bike i.e. laying it down if I need too and how to do that, just lots of little pointers that you wouldn't think are important with a novice like me and they covered it. Also glad I went to a shop because I am 5'9" and probably a 54CMo or 55CM in some bikes, but I was a 52CM on this and it feels great underneath me. Seems to ride a touch big they said. They have this bike in a 54CM already built outside and a 56CM in box I believe so if you're local, hit them up.

The bike was brand new and not even on the floor. It was in box and they built it on the spot. I walked out with the bike and all extras to start off for $950. Like I said, I'm all about value and even the helmet, they gave me 50% off.

I have to disagree with one comment above, this bike is outstanding and I do understand it is the base model of this series, but for a re-starter like me, I couldn't imagine a more versatile bike to start off with. If anyone is in the Miami area and know of any cool rides, let me know. I already hit the beach 6:30AM this morning on the very hard pack sand and it rode like a dream.

Spoiler

Last edited by mmmc; 01-19-20 at 10:50 AM.
Likes For mmmc:
Old 04-21-20, 03:15 PM
Vasyl

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Guys,
Im writing from Poland and maybe someone here could help me find frameset specialized sequoia pro module size 54.
Any idea?
Your feedback is highly appreciated
Regards Daniel
Old 11-16-20, 10:59 AM
Vasyl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dears,
Any idea where I could buy carbon fork for base sequoia with straight steerer?
Old 11-16-20, 03:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by Vasyl
Dears,
Any idea where I could buy carbon fork for base sequoia with straight steerer?
I would look at these:
https://cinq.de/en/carbon-forks/393/...ing-fork?c=137
https://www.interlocracing.com/shop/...thru-axle-4590
https://www.fyxation.com/products/ca...adventure-fork
https://us.ritcheylogic.com/us_en/wc...re-gravel-fork
https://whiskyparts.co/forks/no.9-cx-disc-12-straight

If that is not enough options I don't know what else to recommend. You might have an easier time with the Cinq fork if you are outside of the U.S. as they are a German company.
Old 11-17-20, 01:50 PM
Vasyl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great thank you.
I need 12x100 axle so only will fit whisky, fyxation (all from U. S) and ritchey.
For me best option will be if I could find carbon fork from sequoia elite, expert but here in UE can't find anything.
Old 11-18-20, 04:50 PM
PDKL45

Great thank you.
I need 12x100 axle so only will fit whisky, fyxation (all from U. S) and ritchey.
For me best option will be if I could find carbon fork from sequoia elite, expert but here in UE can't find anything.
That fork was lusted after when it was released, but it was never offered as an aftermarket item by Specialized AFAIK.

Specialized basically shut down the entire adventure range, getting rid of their steel bikes to concentrate on the Diverge, so anything you find will be used or New Old Stock.

You have the base model Sequoia, right?

You just want to remove the steel fork and use a carbon fork?
Old 11-18-20, 07:02 PM
JBjunior

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am also looking to replace my base model Sequoia fork with a carbon one. I have it off to take measurements but most of the information I find is that the taper, or bearings, or something is so abnormal none of the aftermarket replacements will work. It would be good to find someone that has actually done it or has more information.
Old 11-18-20, 08:01 PM
JBjunior

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This matches what I see with everything disassembled. "All of these models have a tapered headtube, but it's 1-1/8 to 1-3/8, not 1-1/2. The base model fork has a straight 1-1/8 steerer, but has some bonded race on the fork and unsealed bearings. There is no way to upgrade the bearing to sealed with this fork, and replacing the fork is near impossible due to the weird taper." taken from another post (I can't put websites yet).

So my base model is a 1 1/8" straight fork but the lower bearing only works with the race built into the fork that completes the lower bearing.
Old 11-18-20, 09:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I would head down to your local shop and confirm sizing. You may just need a different bottom bearing. I never had to take one apart and mine of course is the Pro Module so has a carbon fork and possibly a different head tube (though it is sealed in the box at the moment)

I could also check with Specialized to see what they recommend for a replacement fork or at least sizing. I can't imagine it is 1 3/8.1 1/4 sure but then you have plenty of options.
Old 11-18-20, 11:55 PM
PDKL45

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I would head down to your local shop and confirm sizing. You may just need a different bottom bearing. I never had to take one apart and mine of course is the Pro Module so has a carbon fork and possibly a different head tube (though it is sealed in the box at the moment)

I could also check with Specialized to see what they recommend for a replacement fork or at least sizing. I can't imagine it is 1 3/8.1 1/4 sure but then you have plenty of options.
No, I think he (or she?) is correct. The Sequoia has a notoriously wacky steerer tube/headset combo, leaving owners without good options for replacement forks.

See here:

https://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/...a-1078091.html

And here:

https://forums.roadbikereview.com/co...ec-361574.html
Old 11-19-20, 01:32 AM
Vasyl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That fork was lusted after when it was released, but it was never offered as an aftermarket item by Specialized AFAIK.

Specialized basically shut down the entire adventure range, getting rid of their steel bikes to concentrate on the Diverge, so anything you find will be used or New Old Stock.

You have the base model Sequoia, right?

You just want to remove the steel fork and use a carbon fork?
Hi,

You have the base model Sequoia, right? Yes correct

You just want to remove the steel fork and use a carbon fork? Exactly any idea ?
Old 11-19-20, 01:46 AM
PDKL45

Maybe look for someone with a cracked Sequoia frame and offer to buy it for the forks? The AWOL and Sequoia are both prone to cracking at the dimple in the chainstays and it happens really often, in all Sequoia models and in green base model AWOLs from 2017 onward (based on owners posting about it in the AWOL and Sequoia owner's group on Facebook).
Old 11-19-20, 02:46 AM
Vasyl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice
Pro module frameset I would like to find new or used unit in very good condition
Old 11-19-20, 02:49 AM
Vasyl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes I will have to try
Maybe on black friday will be good offer from whisky or ritchey reg forks
Old 11-19-20, 03:26 AM
JBjunior

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

No, I think he (or she?) is correct. The Sequoia has a notoriously wacky steerer tube/headset combo, leaving owners without good options for replacement forks.

See here:

And here:

Yeah. I already have it apart and can confirm the bottom race is part of the fork so the bearing would have to be replaced. I also have calipers so I will measure myself later tonight to verify the actual size. The question would become can I purchase/create a bushing to size down from 1 3/8" to 1 1/2" to fit a normal bearing or not? Otherwise, there aren't many options unless there are similar bearings with the exact angles for bikes that are made in larger sizes for other applications.
Old 11-19-20, 12:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Maybe look for someone with a cracked Sequoia frame and offer to buy it for the forks? The AWOL and Sequoia are both prone to cracking at the dimple in the chainstays and it happens really often, in all Sequoia models and in green base model AWOLs from 2017 onward (based on owners posting about it in the AWOL and Sequoia owner's group on Facebook).
That is a new one, having sold them for years I haven't yet had one come back for any issues or heard anything like that from other dealers. Luckily Specialized has a lifetime warranty on their frames so if nothing else they can replace it so long as you are the original owner so while yes they stopped doing the AWOL and Sequoia I can still replace it with something else potentially.

Nice
Pro module frameset I would like to find new or used unit in very good condition
What size are you looking for?

Originally Posted by JBjunior
Yeah. I already have it apart and can confirm the bottom race is part of the fork so the bearing would have to be replaced. I also have calipers so I will measure myself later tonight to verify the actual size. The question would become can I purchase/create a bushing to size down from 1 3/8" to 1 1/2" to fit a normal bearing or not? Otherwise, there aren't many options unless there are similar bearings with the exact angles for bikes that are made in larger sizes for other applications.
I would still take it down to your local shop and have them double check everything this all sounds odd even for Spesh.
Old 11-19-20, 12:18 PM
Konrad1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like this

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.