Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Suspension Seatpost Review - Satori Animaris VS. Suntour SP12-NCX for 200LB+ Riders..

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Suspension Seatpost Review - Satori Animaris VS. Suntour SP12-NCX for 200LB+ Riders..

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-21, 09:49 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Thought I would revisit this thread after trying our a Suntour seatpost with the heavy spring on my trek verve e bike. I currently weigh about 195lb.

Seems like the engineers for this thing went through a considerable length to try and balance good dampening (essential the right mix between compliance and sufficiently fast rebound when going over bumps)

It takes some tinkering to get the right rebound dialed in. Some bumps left me wanting a slightly softer spring setting, while others such as a sudden dip in the road left the seapost almost bottoming out without much effort. All in all, the ride is beautifully smooth and its actually quite helpful for keeping the rear end glued and stable on practically any road surface. Boosts comfort,. But also inspired confidence around turns on sketchy surfaces.

now that I've tried the suntour with the correct spring, makes for a better comparison against the satori animaris, although last time I tried the satori was more than a year ago when i weighed almost 30lb more. Its still a toss-up, but satori gets a slight edge for having a better sealed system which will hold up much better to adverse weather and dirty riding conditions.
Old 08-14-21, 06:26 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Seat post suspension is going to do very little to protect your rear wheel.

The hardest hits your wheel is going to take are going to be ones when you’re going to be out of your saddle anyway - or should be.

In the end, if a suspension post results in you sitting down through larger bumps, this is going to be harder on your wheel - not easier -in the end.

I can tell you from experience with front and rear suspension that it does not result in fewer pinch flats or damaged rims. It just makes the tire/rum trashing blows less jarring to you.

Suspension posts are for comfort. There’s nothing wrong with that.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 08-14-21, 08:22 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Seat post suspension is going to do very little to protect your rear wheel.

The hardest hits your wheel is going to take are going to be ones when you’re going to be out of your saddle anyway - or should be.

In the end, if a suspension post results in you sitting down through larger bumps, this is going to be harder on your wheel - not easier -in the end.

I can tell you from experience with front and rear suspension that it does not result in fewer pinch flats or damaged rims. It just makes the tire/rum trashing blows less jarring to you.

Suspension posts are for comfort. There’s nothing wrong with that.
Being out of the saddle over those type of bumps is an important piece of advice. Having the suspension motivates me to simply use a combination between keeping my weight in the cranks and plopping my weight into the saddle to hover over the bump as smoothly as possible. Other than quick jagged bumps such as a steep driveway entrance half-curb, most bumps are dispatched with significantly improved jarring. Im sure that this is doing something to protect the wheel and frame from unnecessary abuse.

If you are simply keeping all your weight in the saddle over every bump, i agree its bad practise and will definetely result in even more stress on your rear wheel. But under some circumstances I found the suspension seatpost to do such a great job that I actually found myself purposely doing that, knowing it was the smoothest way to go over that bump, if not as well balanced.
Old 08-14-21, 11:40 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
Im sure that this is doing something to protect the wheel and frame from unnecessary abuse.
Despite that and in case your confidence is misplaced, you may want to start looking at new wheel options.
Old 08-14-21, 03:52 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
I liked the very comfortable & functional use of the suntour NCX, buttttt it started to creak after being used during the later half of Spring & early part of a Summer.
the center preload piston wore into the rubber isolator & would creak during any down stroke. The Satori is so far doing good. Downside is the bulky adjuster.
Old 08-15-21, 10:19 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
Since my last late night ruminations about suspension seatposts I can do a second person review of the Kinekt 2.1 aluminum seatpost in 27.2mm. My wife bought a RAD City step thru e-bike. We are older and she really could not go with me on longer rides anymore. Long story short this e-bike has been a major game changer. Anyway she wanted a suspension seatpost because we gravel road a lot. I ended up buying a Kinekt 2.1 aluminum seatpost in the 100-150 lb range. From the moment she started riding this particular seatpost she was amazed at how well it works. It has been very easy to adjust and works very well. You really don't feel minor bumps and road vibrations with this seatpost. That is what she has told me anyway. As the installer I can say the seat clamp is the best I've ever used. It has two bolts that are side by side with a spring that holds the cinch plate up off the base plate where you set the seat rails. This makes installation extremely easy and precise. The unit ship with two extra springs that are stronger that the originals and can be installed fairly easily. Unlike my review of post in a post spring seatposts this one works very well. It is expensive but for a change actually seems worth the cost. I try not to post here late at night because upon reading them later I see all kinds of mistakes. Taking a chance tonight.
Old 08-16-21, 08:02 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by Troul
I liked the very comfortable & functional use of the suntour NCX, buttttt it started to creak after being used during the later half of Spring & early part of a Summer.
the center preload piston wore into the rubber isolator & would creak during any down stroke. The Satori is so far doing good. Downside is the bulky adjuster.
Do you think this was due to botttoming out too often?

The bulky preload adjustor beats needing to pull out the seatpost everytime you want to adjust it.

I really like how the Satori has a soft rubber piece for when the mechanism does bottom out. This nearly makes up for that 1cm less overall travel it has over the suntour.
Old 08-17-21, 06:17 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Do you think this was due to botttoming out too often?

The bulky preload adjustor beats needing to pull out the seatpost everytime you want to adjust it.

I really like how the Satori has a soft rubber piece for when the mechanism does bottom out. This nearly makes up for that 1cm less overall travel it has over the suntour.
I had it set with very minimal rebound. I tried it with more give & it was even worse.
I still have it, & I might try replacing the rubber if I find a rebuild kit for it.
Old 10-19-21, 03:24 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by Troul
I had it set with very minimal rebound. I tried it with more give & it was even worse.
I still have it, & I might try replacing the rubber if I find a rebuild kit for it.
Same here actually, I have mine set quite stiff. I feel like the rebound becomes compromised too often over typical bumps when trying to exploit more suspension travel by softening the spring a little.

this is for a more comfortable, upright, longer distance type commuter bike, which is designed to be ridden with some weight in the saddle, as the motor doesn't seem to like hard or forced inputs to the crank. Hence, when you do need the suspension, you can take advantage by distributing rider weight between the crankset/bottom bracket and the seatpost. This type of balancing style calls for minimal energy losses through the seatpost, and you can take advantage of the stiff spring setting by not putting too much weight into the saddle. It works fantastic.

I can feel that the suspension gets a little flustered over some bumps by sort of dampening against gravity and wasting some energy here and there, and there's not much it can do over sudden bumps, even with a softer spring setting, but paired with thicker tires, even on bad surfaces, the ride is planted, smooth and quite stable. It really helps glue the bike to the ground around turns as well.
Old 10-19-21, 06:15 AM
RingSteel

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some of the Amazon reviews of the Satori mentioned that it “squeaks”. Have you had that issue with yours?

Thought I would make an update on my Suntour seatpost since you've bumped this thread.

Seems like the neoprene cover doesn't do much in terms of preventing dust and grit from getting into the workings of the seatpost. Now it feels... crunchy. Not too noticeable with your body weight situated over the seat, but it seems to be getting worse. I am not impressed.

I would recommend the Satori because its built in rubber cover is tight and works extremely well in adverse riding conditions over the long term.
Old 10-19-21, 09:52 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by RingSteel
Some of the Amazon reviews of the Satori mentioned that it “squeaks”. Have you had that issue with yours?
I've had two. I vaguely remember the first one I owned making some squealing sounds as it wore. Sl far, the one im using doesn't.

The other thing I forgot to mention would be the continual need to apply a small amount of preload tension to the spring every week or so. if you are interested in maintaining the same amount of rebound over time. I wonder how long these springs can last from normal use.
Likes For Moisture:
Old 04-27-22, 12:33 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Quick follow up . I finally got my new Animaris suspension post in the mail, which I plan to use for both my XC and Gravel bike . This is not my first Satori suspension seatpost. However... I weighed 30+ more LB last time I used one of these. The stock spring is stiff! Even with the preload backed almost all the way out, I'm only using a portion of the travel. Either way, it's enough dampening to take the edge out of the bumps which is good enough for me. I just need it for the longer days once outputting higher wattage out of the saddle has become too much of a chore. I am currently 190lb.