Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A 1979 Mercian Campionissimo

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-20, 10:53 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts

Hello folks!

I got this frame set a couple of years ago and have shown it off twice before... Once when I had a chance to weigh it compared to another fully butted Reynolds 531 frame and again when I considered removing most of the brazed-on bits to make it into a designated single speed. I'm sure many folks here will breath easy realizing I've opted to use the frame as it was intended, and will be building it up into a solid 12 speed. The build will have two phases.

First I'll do some touch-up work on the original paint and then assemble it with components that are on hand, most of which I plan to keep using with the bike. The list includes the following:

- SR BB cups with Sugino axle
- Tange Falcon headset
- SR Apex forged crank arms with double chain rings (converted from triple set)
- SR Laprade seat post
- SR "forged" stem
- SR World Randonneur handlebars
- Weinmann "red dot" brake levers
- Weinmann Type 730 side-pull brake calipers w/Kool Stop pads
- Weinmann concave 27" rims
- Avocet Model II sealed-bearing hubs
- Suntour Cyclone friction shifters (first generation)
- Suntour Cyclone front derailleur (first generation)
- Suntour Cyclone long-cage rear derailleur (first generation)
- Suntour 6-speed New Winner freewheel

Besides these primary components, most of the consumables used for build #1 will be leftovers from other projects and not my ideal choices. However, after riding it a while and getting any kinks out I plan to tear it down again and have the frame powder coated with new decals and pin striping applied. When I build it up again after that I'll purchase fresh consumables.

Hopefully it will be ready to ride within a week or two! I'm really excited as it will be my first Mercian, and although it's the humble Campionissimo model (the least expensive model throughout most of the years it was available to order) I am sure it will make an excellent rider in the planned, period-correct configuration. It should also be something of a "sleeper" because nearly all of the components were chosen for being both lightweight and durable. Here it is mocked up tonight!

-Gregory

Old 11-10-20, 11:59 PM
cv350

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 31 Posts
That will be a terrific build, ready for many miles once again. And that’s an impressive component list, too. Thanks for sharing— project build reports are always enjoyable.
Likes For cv350:
Old 11-11-20, 05:35 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Great plan and, as its my size f/f, I can envision the end result. I'm a big fan of first Gen Cyclone and Suntour ultra 6 FWs. I've also, recently, become a real fan of those "randnner" handlebars. Numerous comfortable hand positions and the brake levers flared outwards a bit. Yes, I ride the drops frequently. I'll bet your build becomes a fine all day long ride.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 11-11-20, 05:46 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Sounds great

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 11-11-20, 12:59 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
Mercian pinched a few pennies on dropouts and used stock Bocama lugs and probably a stock Vagner crown on the Campionissimo - but it still should be 531 throughout, and if Mercian ever made a bad bike, I am unaware of it! Every vintage Campionissimo I've ever seen had Weinmann 730s, btw. The beauty of this bike is it can be adapted so easily to fixed or IGH operation as well! My one regret with my '02 Mercian Vincitore fixed-gear is that I didn't specify the rear dropouts you have - they would have worked so much better with fenders AND allowed a wider range of rear cogs than the rear-opening track ends I got.

Lovely bike and I look forward to seeing the finished version!
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 11-24-20, 09:17 PM
Kilroy1988 

Thanks for the replies, folks! Slowly but surely working on restoring the frame... Using Testor's enamel paints made for model kits and brushes and fine sandpaper to get things looking proper again. Still a lot of work to do, and although not a perfect match with the original paint the restoration is very refreshing and a good learning experience as well!

-Gregory
​​​​​​(Edit - Photos removed since I didn't end up going this route... See below!)

Last edited by Kilroy1988; 10-20-21 at 02:19 PM.
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 10-20-21, 02:18 PM
Kilroy1988 

Hello all, it's been a while but I've been a busy guy! I am back in grad school and made a career transition from agriculture to working in land conservation, and life does move along quickly these days... However, I've just found enough time to delve back into this Mercian project.

Realizing I would not be satisfied with that half-hearted touch up work, I recently took the frame and fork in for powder coating at JR's Powder Coating in Lemoore, CA. I picked the frame up today and am super impressed with the work! Nothing untidy or too thick, with a crisp finish throughout. I'll let the photos do the rest of the talking.

The plan now is to apply decals and pinstriping then have it clear coated at a professional automotive shop before final assembly... Cheers!

-Gregory

Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 10-20-21, 06:28 PM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 79 Posts
I think the rear dropouts are Stallard. They were used on many high-end English bikes from the 40's to the 60's, not so common by the late 70's.
Likes For kroozer:
Old 10-20-21, 08:10 PM
jingy2

Bikes: 1996 Rivendell All-Rounder, 2000 Chris Kvale, 1989 Eddy Merckx 7-11 Corsa Extra, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr, Rivendell Roadini, 86 Mercian Vincitore, 85 Vitus 979, 89 Vitus Carbone 9, 83 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 79 Motobecane Grand Touring,2022 Corvus Rhino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 22 Posts
you'll want to chase and face the bb and most likely face the headtube as well before assembly
Old 10-20-21, 08:39 PM
Kilroy1988 

Originally Posted by jingy2
you'll want to chase and face the bb and most likely face the headtube as well before assembly
Thank you, yes, of course. That's always good advice but rest assured I've been at this a while... Short cuts in such regards don't do any favors for a functional machine, assuming one might want to take it apart again!

-Gregory
Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 10-20-21, 09:30 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
Realizing I would not be satisfied with that half-hearted touch up work, I recently took the frame and fork in for powder coating at JR's Powder Coating in Lemoore, CA. I picked the frame up today and am super impressed with the work! Nothing untidy or too thick, with a crisp finish throughout. I'll let the photos do the rest of the talking.
I'll add this to my powder coating thread!
Old 10-20-21, 10:27 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Be interesting the clear choice to overcoat the powdercoat

I do encourage a layer over the PC as while the finish looks good, there are shortcomings to PC at any 90 degree angle. It’s in the physics of the process.
Old 12-05-21, 09:03 PM
Kilroy1988 

Howdy folks,

Final update, I suspect... I will apply the pinstripes around the lugs within the next week or so then get the frame clear coated before final assembly. I mocked it up again this evening to consider a more relaxed approach towards the cockpit with some north road handlebars. I've also got the same grips in a dark brown color that matches the saddle well. What do you all think?

-Gregory

Old 12-05-21, 10:13 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,689 Times in 2,610 Posts
Nix the white grips, I say.
Likes For nlerner: