Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 504 Times in 320 Posts
LA mayor restricting bicycles

I think this is a first. LA Mayor on December 2 statement. includes

Walking, driving, travel on public transport, bikes, motorcycles and scooters are prohibited, other than for those undertaking essential activities.”

Please be careful.
Old 12-03-20, 02:03 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
I am getting out my pogo-stick from the 70's since this is an essential activity. It's like a comfort animal.
Old 12-03-20, 02:26 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Given that 'essential activities' include allowable activities, such as exercise, this isn't really a meaningful prohibition.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 12-03-20, 03:35 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
There is no way in the world that a cop is going to be stopping anyone for riding a bike no matter where or when. I appreciate it that he's (mayor) trying to keep the city healthy, but getting me off my bike isn't going to happen.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 12-03-20, 04:58 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,857 Times in 6,071 Posts
From the text of the order:

A. Essential Activities Exempt.
1. Passive outdoor activity and recreation, provided that individuals comply with social distancing mandates, including, without limitation, walking, running, cycling; use of scooters, roller skates, skateboards, or other personal mobility devices.
This is similar to, if not the very same verbiage as the Shelter In Place orders we in the Bay Area were put under back in March. Exercise is considered an essential activity, but they don't want you riding your bike to a bar, or the movies, or the strip club, or to a friend's house.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-03-20, 05:50 PM
plowmanjoe

Bikes: 09' Cinelli Vigorelli, 95' trek 950

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Sad thing is that people themselves claim to be responsible and cringe at the idea of being force to follow guidelines. But fact is, there are groups of walkers and cyclists her in SoCal who seem to think they are beyond guidelines. Large groups of cyclists are observed quite often riding in large groups of 20 or so without masks. That doesn't help the argument that outdoor exercise is healthy and we should be exemption from enforcement of guidelines.
Is there a guideline stating that cycling outdoors requires a mask? genuinely wondering, not trying to be snarky.
Old 12-03-20, 06:55 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Sad thing is that people themselves claim to be responsible and cringe at the idea of being force to follow guidelines. But fact is, there are groups of walkers and cyclists her in SoCal who seem to think they are beyond guidelines. Large groups of cyclists are observed quite often riding in large groups of 20 or so without masks. That doesn't help the argument that outdoor exercise is healthy and we should be exemption from enforcement of guidelines.
Hmmmm. I haven't seen a paceline in 8 months. Who is observing bikers in groups of 20 or more....and where?
Old 12-04-20, 01:58 AM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Golf was the very last thing the city closed down in the spring and the very first thing they re-opened. Screw Garcetti.
Likes For Tycho Brahe:
Old 12-04-20, 03:37 AM
mr_pedro

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
I think this is a first. LA Mayor on December 2 statement. includes

Walking, driving, travel on public transport, bikes, motorcycles and scooters are prohibited, other than for those undertaking essential activities.”

Please be careful.
Sounds like the appropriate summary of that statement is that all non-essential travel is prohibited.
Old 12-04-20, 04:16 PM
stuff shredman

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Tarmac - Sagan Edition /// 2016 Intense Tracer T275C ///

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 28 Posts
Cycling is essential for my health and mental well being
I will continue to ride. I'll ride solo and swing very wide away from any other peds or cyclists.
They'll have to build a special prison to keep my from riding my bike.
Likes For stuff shredman:
Old 12-06-20, 08:26 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Hmmmm. I haven't seen a paceline in 8 months. Who is observing bikers in groups of 20 or more....and where?
Along PCH in north Orange County on any sunny Saturday or Sunday. Hang out at your favorite point along PCH in this area after 8AM for 1 hour and I'll bet you see at least 2 groups. Not sure where they go after getting through the fairly wide streets of Seal Beach/Huntington Beach as the road gets pretty tight along PCH as you continue south into Newport Beach/Laguna Beach/Dana Point

SART on the weekend. Though not as many as along PCH, you'll see them here, too. Odd that most of them seem to be groups of Asian riders. Also smaller 'TT' groups (4-6 persons) going way too fast through the casual recreational riders .
Likes For skidder:
Old 12-06-20, 08:32 AM
trailangel

You are speculating from past experience.
Old 12-06-20, 10:49 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
This new guideline (mandate) may boost the indoor trainer/stationary bike craze. Maybe that's what the Mayor is doing to help the economy?

This is a Presidential moment.
Old 12-06-20, 11:29 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
Don't get me wrong. My first post was mostly rhetorical. I realize the Mayor's statement was more of a move to try and "legislate" some common-sense to the masses. I would never have expected that his mandate would have extended to outdoor exercise. I couldn't give you any quantitative fact regarding bicycling and the spread of the virus, but I would expect it to be incredibly low.
Old 12-07-20, 08:20 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Masks are about as useful as a chain link fence is in stopping mosquitos.

Have there been massive fatal outbreaks in cycling clubs, or do you just want to get your Karen on?
Likes For TGT1:
Old 12-07-20, 09:29 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
No, I'm old enough to have seen this kind of stupidity before.

A 0,125 micron virus will not be stopped by anything other than a properly fitted industrial or military grade mask.
wearing a paper or cloth one on a bike ride is just virtue signaling.
Likes For TGT1:
Old 12-08-20, 09:25 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 987 Posts
Originally Posted by TGT1
Masks are about as useful as a chain link fence is in stopping mosquitos.

Have there been massive fatal outbreaks in cycling clubs, or do you just want to get your Karen on?
You might want to read up on viruses. The individual virons won't survive on their own out in the open environment, they need to be in something like a water droplet of piece of tissue, a blob of snot, etc. While the virons themselves are small enough to penetrate even finely-woven materials, the droplets and tissues they are transported in will most likely not penetrate a mask. Result is they get captured on the mask.

Regarding groups - I'm more concerned with the possibility of accidents caused by the large groups as they pass me on busy roadways (like PCH) or on MUPs (like the SART). Just my observation, but they seem intent on staying bunched together at all times rather than spread out a little for safety. No thanks, its too dangerous to me to participate in that type of behavior.
Likes For skidder:
Old 12-08-20, 09:51 AM
trailangel

I guess I don't get out much anymore. I don't ride in a group anymore. Large 'racertype' groups are full of spitters.... they think it's ok to spit or blow-out while riding. Just like in MLB, they have not stopped spitting, they just don't show it on camera.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 12-08-20, 10:44 AM
plowmanjoe

Bikes: 09' Cinelli Vigorelli, 95' trek 950

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Let's see, the mayor wants to ban cycling and some riders refuse to wear masks endangering our right to cycle at will. Seems that is where the stupidity comes into play.

Whether the mask prevent the virus from spreading is not even a consideration to the mayor and his lack of proof or knowledge of the virus. It is about cyclists showing they will not follow guidelines that will get us shut down like they did the beach. People refused to follow guidelines so they shut down the beach. Then people had to fight, protest and do whatever to get them to open it again.

In the meantime, people were complaining about the closed beach when in fact, had they followed guidelines, it wouldn't haven't been closed in the first place. Now this kind of attitude is where the stupidity comes into play. If the mayor bans cycling because cyclists will not follow guidelines, then their stupidity will have put a damper on my cycling though I am willing to follow the guidelines.

The mayor and other officials are just looking for stupid reasons to ban at will and stupid people give them the reasons to do so.

Mayor restricting cycling =stupid
People giving the mayor reason to restrict cycling = stupid as well.
you sound like a beaten child afraid to get your drunk dad mad.
Old 12-08-20, 12:07 PM
Cpn_Dunsel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by TGT1
No, I'm old enough to have seen this kind of stupidity before.

A 0,125 micron virus will not be stopped by anything other than a properly fitted industrial or military grade mask.
wearing a paper or cloth one on a bike ride is just virtue signaling.

You are dangerously ignorant on this subject.
Likes For Cpn_Dunsel:
Old 12-08-20, 01:16 PM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
"though I am willing to follow the guidelines" and other like statements are simply euphemisms for one's being a billboard for institutionalized fear and subjugation- good intentions or not.
West
Old 12-08-20, 04:40 PM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
I rode with a buddy last Saturday and rode to Encanto Park and Sierra Madre before heading home. At Encanto, a group of 40 riders belonging to a regular riding group that starts in Pico Rivera stopped for a break. At Sierra Madre we saw the large group of "racers" who ride every Saturday morning and end up at the downtown area of Sierra Madre. That group has not diminished in numbers. I see them every Saturday morning when I head off to ride with a buddy or two. I won't name the groups. Last week we rode to Griffith Park/Burbank and I saw several groups of 5-10 out there but nothing like the groups of 40+ I see in my area, the West SGV area.

I usually ride with a group of 8-15+ but since March we have broken up to small groups of 2-4 or so, but as we're riding we do see groups of 10-40+ every Saturday so far.
Likes For momoman:
Old 12-27-20, 11:33 AM
cruiserhead

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mayor isn't restricting bicycling, or outdoor exercise.

Garcetti made a point that all outdoor activites — like walking, hiking, running, biking — are still allowed and encouraged. "I encourage you to get out there, keep your space, wear a mask, but go for a walk, go for a bike ride, make sure you do those things that can help you get through this tough time. Don't just stay indoors," he added.

https://laist.com/latest/post/202012...-at-home-order
Likes For cruiserhead:
Old 12-31-20, 10:46 AM
shopco43

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
If you read my comment above, it had nothing to do with cyclists breaking out or being a Karen. It is about setting a good example for the authorities so that we would not have to worry about banning cyclist and avoiding all the hassle of trying to prove cyclists have not contributed to spreading the virus.

I'm guessing you're one of the above the law types that think you're invincible till you get sick or infect others around you. I have a relative who had your sarcastic careless attitude. He's dead now, virus got him and his son.

Just sad that there are those lacking common sense gambling with our right to free cycling.
Garcetti does not have the Constitutional authority to create a law so he issues a mandate or guideline or whatever. One is still free to do as he pleases as far as wearing a mask or gathering, because there is no law. That person may very well be wrong. He may very well be endangering others. While unfortunate, it is still his right, just as it is your right to avoid said person. As an example, I have found it necessary to greatly increase my commuting milage in order to avoid heavily trafficked roads. Those roads do have bicycle lanes, but they also have dangerous drivers who, by virtue of carelessness or a bias against bicyclists pose a danger to me. Such is life.

The biggest threat is not the pandemic, it is the taking away of freedoms. To whatever degree, the pandemic will run its course. But the loss of freedoms will remain. It is apparent to many that this great illness has been used by some (of those in power) to overstep their authority, and it is the willing abandonment of one’s freedoms, protected by our Constitution, that is profoundly disturbing. This is not to say that adherence to the health professional’s guidelines is wrong headed, quite the contrary. When done out of consideration of others there is no fault to be found. When wearing a mask is done simply to satisfy the demands of authority, that is the point at which one crosses a line, a very dangerous line.

Those of us born just after the end of the war understand this danger, perhaps better than those to whom WWII is nothing more than a subject from your history class. There was a time not so long ago that what you wore, or did not wear, would get you arrested.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.” C.S. Lewis

This poor fellow does not understand the mind of a tyrant. A tyrant cannot be appeased. This is truly disheartening.
Likes For shopco43:
Old 02-22-21, 01:17 AM
NeedARealBike

Bikes: Cinelli Bootleg Hobo - Railway 2015

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
They always leave that little loophole because they can't actually enforce it and are just trying to generate good PR as politicians always do. Everything is essential and everyone is still out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.