Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Dave - From "Three Wheel Journey" - Missed

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-21, 05:20 AM
sprocketss

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave is the one who got me into bike touring and it is a very poignant story. Dave was documenting his journeys around America. Giving great tips along the way. I would feel I was riding along with him by the way he would document his trips. His last entry is from Nov. 18, 2015. No one, including his family has heard from him since .

Check out his Youtube channel and meet Dave if you haven't yet!

Dave - Three Wheel Journey
Old 10-05-21, 01:31 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
He said he's 20 miles from Bly. When did somebody look for him?
If an animal got him, the bike would be there in the woods. Getting hit by a pickup truck or motorhome is possible, but how would the driver make everything disappear before a car came along? Maybe he found a better GF. LOL. Could be he just got mugged too I suppose. Don't see a reason for suicide.

Anyway, his videos are way boring with his head in the screen 80% and he's just standing. He could talk and show the ride for way better effect.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 10-05-21 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-05-21, 10:14 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
Are you sure he rides bike? I took a quick look at his videos and I never see him riding.
It's sad that he went missing, but I do not see any bike culture in his videos
Old 10-06-21, 11:25 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,539 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
He said he's 20 miles from Bly. When did somebody look for him?
If an animal got him, the bike would be there in the woods. Getting hit by a pickup truck or motorhome is possible, but how would the driver make everything disappear before a car came along? Maybe he found a better GF. LOL. Could be he just got mugged too I suppose. Don't see a reason for suicide.

Anyway, his videos are way boring with his head in the screen 80% and he's just standing. He could talk and show the ride for way better effect.
I spent a night in Bly at the start of Cycle Oregon in 2012. Very little traffic in that part of the world. We rode north to Silver Lake through what's called the "Oregon Outback." We didn't pass one commercial /developed establishment until we reached Silver Lake. Our rest/lunch stops were wherever the ride organizers could find space along side the roads. Spent the last night in Klamath Falls and rode back to Bly the next morning, eventually ending up OR 140 to Bly. I believe OR 140 is where he said he was pulling off into the woods to camp. That area was also pretty desolate with little traffic other than event-related traffic. I could see someone being able to do harm and not be discovered.
Old 10-07-21, 10:35 AM
GamblerGORD53

I figure that he had to have gotten to at least Bly, if not Klamath Falls, to post his last video #57. Looks like an OK little village. So somebody there would have known something of him. The next one, Beatty is just a few rotten houses and a little store.
That's one of the few highways I haven't driven thru.
Would be interesting to see the Sheriff's file.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 10-07-21 at 12:20 PM.
Old 10-07-21, 11:15 AM
indyfabz

Bly really welcomed us. IIRC, there was one small store and one bar in town.

When we rode into Klamath Falls and we’re passing through one particular area I turned to my partner and said “I never thought I would ride into a town that makes Butte [MT] look nice.” (We had stayed in Butte the previous year. There were flyers on poles warning people to lock car doors and keep valuables with them due to drug-related breakins.) Five people had their bikes stolen from our camping area that evening.

For the record, I actually like Butte. I’ve spent three nights there. I know where to get a good steak in town. During one tour I told a Montana resident I was heading there. She called it “the armpit of Montana.”
Old 10-07-21, 12:13 PM
GamblerGORD53

Geeze, that's too bad about your experience.
It was 1980 I think when I drove thru Klamath Falls and stayed the night there. So likely much smaller and I guess it wasn't much then either. The volcano lake was awesome tho. Great view of the cow ranches too.
I still remember the great $6 turkey dinner I had at Mom's cafe on the north end highway.
I've been to Butte also. LOL.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 10-07-21 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-07-21, 02:08 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by GamblerGORD53
Geeze, that's too bad about your experience.
It was 1980 I think when I drove thru Klamath Falls and stayed the night there. So likely much smaller and I guess it wasn't much then either. The volcano lake was awesome tho.
Like many towns in OR, Klamath Falls got depressed when logging activity started to decline. I think what happened is that the camping area was across a road from where dinner and the nightly entertainment was being held. People left their bikes back at camp and they got stolen. We had a pretty big tent and put our bikes inside when we went to dinner.

When we took the shuttle into the center of town earlier in the day we saw a fenced off greenhouse in the middle of a rail yard. There were some sort of law enforcement cars close by. Turns out it was a medical marijuana growing facility.

We had two days in Ashland, OR before Klamath Falls. What a contrast. We went to a grocery store in Ashland that made Whole Foods seems relatively cheap.

By "volcano lake" do you mean Crater Lake, the deepest fresh water lake in the U.S. and one of the deepest in the world? We rode up to it from Ft. Klamath, around the Rim Road, and then down to Prospect. It was my second time riding the Rim Road. That thing ages you, but some spectacular views.
Old 10-07-21, 03:02 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by sprocketss
I would feel I was riding along with him by the way he would document his trips.
I skimmed thru 3 vids and never saw him riding. If I were riding along with him, he would have been dropped long ago.
Sucks that he hasnt been heard from. That has to be awful for family.