Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

It was a dark, stormy night...on my gravel bike :)

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-21, 10:15 AM
Amelio 
Let’s discuss bikes

Bikes: Apollo something, 1983 Bianchi Super, Specialized Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts

ladies and gentlemen, I went in a gravel ride last night. It was raining, fairly cold, but said what the hell, I'm going for a ride!

Was a bit of road, some dirt trail, some gravel, mud, and a lot of the ride through the forest was in the dark, only with my little Blackburn single LED lighting the way.

My garmin called it a sprint ride, which, I guess that's what it was. I hit the pavement hard and fast, and same for the mud/gravel/grass, lot's of fun!
Avg speed of 17.7kph, max of 40.6, HR at 122-156bpm, a decent little ride.

The bike is a Cannondale Topstone 1 with 2x11.
The front derailleur makes a bit more noise than I like, I'm thinking of converting to a 1x11 with 40T in front, 11-46 in back with Shimano GRX RD-RX812 long cage. It's specs say 42 but I think I can push it a bit
harder.

Likes For Amelio:
Old 10-05-21, 11:48 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
cool bike- your front derailler cable shouldnt be so long and dangly after the pinch bolt. It should route under the plastic cap that sits atop the front derailleur and that cap routes the cable out the back towards the rear wheel.
^ that probably wasnt worded cleaerly. Just google how to adjust that specific FD and youtube will have close up videos showing how the cable is routed.

I mention this because perhaps the noise you hear is the loose cable end clinking against the frame or bottle cage. Or perhaps the FD just needs to be adjusted to better clear the chain and the noise is simply the chain rubbing against the FD cage.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-05-21, 11:53 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
Fast dark ride on a tuned dark bike in the fall... NICE!
Old 10-05-21, 01:11 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Nice. I'm imagining it looked something like this (well, maybe without the moon).
Gotta say, its pretty warm this time of year for our latitude!

(My bike is grey like yours, but I put reflective stripes all over it - lights up like a Christmas tree if car lights shine on it. I do too much commuting to ride a dark grey bike).

Last edited by chas58; 10-05-21 at 01:21 PM.
Likes For chas58:
Old 10-05-21, 02:40 PM
Amelio 
Let’s discuss bikes

Hahaha yes, but even less light!!! I stupidly wore a black coat (warmth) over my bright red shirt (safety) and negated the safety part. My lights are Blackburn Dayblazer 550 front and rear My Lights
and they don't emit a lot. I'm thinking of the Blackburn Dayblazer 1500 Front and 65 Rear.

I was hanging on for dear life for a lot of the ride through the forest, but the edge-of-seat riding was bloody exciting! When I got home I realized my rear light had died, not ideal! I like the idea of reflective stripes, I think I'll get some of those for my bike, and some to wear as well. Thanks for the ideas and the pics, they made me smile.

Btw, when I got home, covered in a bit of mud, grabbed a shower and was ready to watch a movie with my wife, who patiently waited 30m for my ride and cleanup, what a women she is! (but she hates bike talk, that's why I'm here a lot)

Originally Posted by chas58
Nice. I'm imagining it looked something like this
(My bike is grey like yours, but I put reflective stripes all over it - lights up like a Christmas tree if car lights shine on it. I do too much commuting to ride a dark grey bike).

Old 10-05-21, 02:41 PM
Amelio 
Let’s discuss bikes

Thanks! It was a lot of fun!
Originally Posted by zandoval
Fast dark ride on a tuned dark bike in the fall... NICE!
Old 10-05-21, 03:24 PM
chas58

Originally Posted by Amelio
Hahaha yes, but even less light!!! I stupidly wore a black coat (warmth) over my bright red shirt (safety) and negated the safety part. My lights are Blackburn Dayblazer 550 front and rear My Lights
and they don't emit a lot. I'm thinking of the Blackburn Dayblazer 1500 Front and 65 Rear.

I was hanging on for dear life for a lot of the ride through the forest, but the edge-of-seat riding was bloody exciting! When I got home I realized my rear light had died, not ideal! I like the idea of reflective stripes, I think I'll get some of those for my bike, and some to wear as well. Thanks for the ideas and the pics, they made me smile.

Btw, when I got home, covered in a bit of mud, grabbed a shower and was ready to watch a movie with my wife, who patiently waited 30m for my ride and cleanup, what a women she is! (but she hates bike talk, that's why I'm here a lot)
Personally, I like having a backup, so I'll have a pair of 900 lumen lights (Cygolite or nightrider) at half power. That way they last longer, and I have options. That and if solo, a little 350 on my helmet.

3M makes some really nice reflective tape. you can get great stuff in white/red at your auto parts store, or about any color you want online. Other brands tend to be horrible in my experience. Yup, some tape is kinda nice when the battery dies. Bikes (especially you last night) are kinda hard to see without lights and/or reflectivity!

Ain't fall riding nice? I love me a warm dark fall night, riding through the leaves.
Likes For chas58:
Old 10-05-21, 06:20 PM
Amelio 
Let’s discuss bikes

thanks for the good advice! Warm dark ride through the leaves, yes for sure!

Just wondering about the brightness of these lights. I’ve got my Blackburn Dayblazer 400 (not the 550 I thought) which is up to 400 lumens on full power. I thought it was pretty bright until I bought a https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00XJXP6V8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share]no-name set from Amazon [/url]
that claims to be only 200 lumens but to my eyes is at least 2x or 3x the amount of light. The rear light says 25 lumens and it again is at least 2x as bright as my 20 lumen bb light.

I found a good deal on Blackburn 1500 front with 65 rear light for C$195 I’m thinking of ponying up for some better lights. 😀

the cheap set on half power is a great idea. 👍

yes fall riding is really good so far, especially on the gravel bike. The tires are really confidence inspiring through the leaves, wet grass, ruts and tree roots. I can’t wait to get out and ride more. It’s funny it was a YouTube video that mentioned riding in the rain isn’t bad, you just need to dress for it. I did a fair bit of winter riding and this is a nice intro to it.

Originally Posted by chas58
Personally, I like having a backup, so I'll have a pair of 900 lumen lights (Cygolite or nightridera) at half power. That way they last longer, and I have options. That and if solo, a little 350 on my helmet.

3M makes some really nice reflective tape. you can get great stuff in white/red at your auto parts store, or about any color you want online. Other brands tend to be horrible in my experience. Yup, some tape is kinda nice when the battery dies. Bikes (especially you last night) are kinda hard to see without lights and/or reflectivity!

Ain't fall riding nice? I love me a warm dark fall night, riding through the leaves.
Old 10-05-21, 06:44 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
OP, you probably don't need 1500 lumens on a headlight, but that's alright: you can put it on a lower setting, still have enough light AND longer battery runtime!
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-06-21, 01:17 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 174 Posts
I rode at 9.00PM the other day and ended up racing 4 deers (3males and 1 female). They ran @ 28kph through a path and field (cotswold bridleway)... since then, I went back a few time at the same time and I met rabbits, squirrels and a fox...
Likes For Fentuz:
Old 10-06-21, 06:01 AM
Amelio 
Let’s discuss bikes

What a great ride, and 28kph, wow, I didn’t realize deer run that fast! It’s times like that when you wish you had a camera crew to record that ride! thanks for sharing that it was a nice read this rather dark and dank Wednesday morning. 😊

You just got me thinking of this YouTube video I was watching on Sunday of this guy who does a lot of hard grinding across country and is always spotting wildlife. Ryan Van Duzer is the channel.

Originally Posted by Fentuz
I rode at 9.00PM the other day and ended up racing 4 deers (3males and 1 female). They ran @ 28kph through a path and field (cotswold bridleway)... since then, I went back a few time at the same time and I met rabbits, squirrels and a fox...
Old 10-06-21, 06:12 AM
Amelio 
Let’s discuss bikes

thanks Mstate, that’s a good observation. 😀 it’s this annoying ticking sound only in the two highest gears. The only time it doesn’t bother me is when I pedal and breathe harder, which I do a lot! I will look up that cable route and maybe put it on my bike stand and see if I can get it to tick or click. I don’t think it’s the bottom bracket, I think it’s the front derailer touching the chain ever so slightly in small (back) big on front.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
cool bike- your front derailler cable shouldnt be so long and dangly after the pinch bolt. It should route under the plastic cap that sits atop the front derailleur and that cap routes the cable out the back towards the rear wheel.
^ that probably wasnt worded cleaerly. Just google how to adjust that specific FD and youtube will have close up videos showing how the cable is routed.

I mention this because perhaps the noise you hear is the loose cable end clinking against the frame or bottle cage. Or perhaps the FD just needs to be adjusted to better clear the chain and the noise is simply the chain rubbing against the FD cage.
Old 10-06-21, 06:17 AM
Amelio 
Let’s discuss bikes

true true, but it was only 20 bucks more and it was a combo on sale so I figured what the heck?! 😀

great point on the 50% = 2x the batt life!

thanks for your reply 👍

Originally Posted by Koyote
OP, you probably don't need 1500 lumens on a headlight, but that's alright: you can put it on a lower setting, still have enough light AND longer battery runtime!
Old 10-06-21, 07:20 AM
chas58

I did have a dear once running parallel to me who just had to cross the street in front of me. I got up to 45km/hr and he still passed in front of me.

This little guy wasn't quite so fast, but did manage to cross the street before I got to him. Lots of this, this time of year.