Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Comparing bikes

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Comparing bikes

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-12, 12:27 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Comparing bikes

Mike- my neighbour has a new bike and so have I. Both bought within the last couple of weeks and we are the same size- near enough. He bought my OLD Giant OCR and it was time for him to upgrade.

Manufacture is British and it is a Forme Victeur. CF frame- 105 groupset with a couple of downgrades and Alex Rims to Formula hubs. Normal Retail is about £1450 but this is a 2011 model and he got it for £850. It rides well and he is surprised at how well he is getting on with the compact Crank. Still a bit of adjustment to do on the saddle and I think it has to come back a bit. He is already reaching for the hoods so we will swop the bar stem to a 90mm-as opposed to the 105mm fitted right now- just to shorten the reach a fraction. Weight is 17.5lbs so is not as heavy as it should be for a "Cheap" bike.

Already posted pics of my Pinarello FP UNO And this is a lightweight Triple butted Aluminium Frame with CF seat stays and fork. Groupset is Tiagra 10 spd throughout and wheels are inhouse. Difference is that The Pinnie has a retail of £1400 although i did get an apreciable discount off that price. Not as low as £850 though.

Saddle heights are identical- Weight is near identical- Grade of wheels and groupset work out about the same- But the difference is in the Geometry of the frame. The Pinarello is a bit more aggressive and I have the bars set lower down. We haven't swopped bikes on a ride yet but I dare say that will come eventually so Can't give a comparison on the two.

It will be interesting to see how the bikes perform over the next couple of months and then i will be a ble to give a better report. And incidentally- both frames are 50 cms so in "theory"-Either should have a spare bike to take on those long holidays when two bikes will be necessary. Not that I would need one due to the other bikes that are sitting in the shed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00023.jpg (97.7 KB, 79 views)
DSC00022.jpg (97.9 KB, 82 views)
DSC00024.jpg (101.2 KB, 79 views)
DSC00025.jpg (100.4 KB, 79 views)
DSC00030.jpg (100.9 KB, 82 views)
DSC00029.jpg (101.6 KB, 82 views)
DSC00028.jpg (99.7 KB, 83 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 02-26-12, 12:59 PM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Love the red accents on the quick release, dropouts, and hubs.
Old 10-11-21, 07:31 PM
Sam12345

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stapfam
Mike- my neighbour has a new bike and so have I. Both bought within the last couple of weeks and we are the same size- near enough. He bought my OLD Giant OCR and it was time for him to upgrade.

Attachment 238958 Attachment 238959 Attachment 238960 Attachment 238961

Manufacture is British and it is a Forme Victeur. CF frame- 105 groupset with a couple of downgrades and Alex Rims to Formula hubs. Normal Retail is about £1450 but this is a 2011 model and he got it for £850. It rides well and he is surprised at how well he is getting on with the compact Crank. Still a bit of adjustment to do on the saddle and I think it has to come back a bit. He is already reaching for the hoods so we will swop the bar stem to a 90mm-as opposed to the 105mm fitted right now- just to shorten the reach a fraction. Weight is 17.5lbs so is not as heavy as it should be for a "Cheap" bike.

Already posted pics of my Pinarello FP UNO And this is a lightweight Triple butted Aluminium Frame with CF seat stays and fork. Groupset is Tiagra 10 spd throughout and wheels are inhouse. Difference is that The Pinnie has a retail of £1400 although i did get an apreciable discount off that price. Not as low as £850 though.

Attachment 238967 Attachment 238968 Attachment 238969

Saddle heights are identical- Weight is near identical- Grade of wheels and groupset work out about the same- But the difference is in the Geometry of the frame. The Pinarello is a bit more aggressive and I have the bars set lower down. We haven't swopped bikes on a ride yet but I dare say that will come eventually so Can't give a comparison on the two.

It will be interesting to see how the bikes perform over the next couple of months and then i will be a ble to give a better report. And incidentally- both frames are 50 cms so in "theory"-Either should have a spare bike to take on those long holidays when two bikes will be necessary. Not that I would need one due to the other bikes that are sitting in the shed.

Do you know if a geometry chart exists for these frames? I had either a 57cm or 58cm, frame and want to know the headtube measurement...