Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-12, 03:57 PM
Odin99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 06-29-12, 08:17 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
OK, is this the first STI conversion? Wow! Got me thinking on that one. I know I have some 7 speed STI around here somewhere....
Old 06-29-12, 10:46 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by leftthread
Do you think a drop bar conversion would also work well with a flat-bar hybrid frame, 700c/35 wheels?

You betcha! Some convert better than others, higher models, more sporting and lighter, are more desired.
I mounted 35mm Kendas on mine, Ultegra bar-ends, SPDs, and 13x21 cassette. One of my favorite rides.

2012-05-04 -001 by WNG555, on Flickr
Likes For WNG:
Old 06-29-12, 10:58 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MH20
I have loved this concept since I first saw this bike:

https://www.cycleexif.com/f-moser-motard

i was thinking about a flat bar cross bike for commuting, but this looks fun too.
Old 06-29-12, 11:04 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by WNG
You betcha! Some convert better than others, higher models, more sporting and lighter, are more desired.
I mounted 35mm Kendas on mine, Ultegra bar-ends, SPDs, and 13x21 cassette. One of my favorite rides.

2012-05-04 -001 by WNG555, on Flickr
Yes, the higher end hybrids are perfect. Essentially, X Bikes in sheep clothing.
Old 06-30-12, 06:58 AM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
^^ man...feed them tires, they're sooo skinny!

Last edited by Velognome; 06-30-12 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-30-12, 07:08 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
I'm really surprised a company out there isn't marketing a drop bar MTB...we all know trends and marketing are everything, and a drop bar MTB seems like it would have real potential. When I thought mine might be among the departed I was already thinking about the next one - that's how much I love this thing. They're versatile, comfortable over distance and with a tire change are ready for whatever you need. Heck, combine trends and give it 650bs, or 700cs and call it a drop 9r.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have used STI rather than the Commands.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 06-30-12 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-30-12, 10:45 AM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 408 Posts
I decided to look for a bit lighter vintage mtb frame and switch the parts over from the Univega mtb I built up this week.
(See earlier post)

I picked up a prob 1989 or 90 Specialized Hardrock & it is considerably lighter.

Totally dissembled the 23" Hardrock weighs:
6.2 lbs for frame & 1.8 for fork for 8.0 lbs total, a full
2 lbs lighter than Uni weighing in at 7.4 for frame & 2.6 for fork.

I know the Hardrock was not one of their higher end frames and the sticker indicates this one was
made in Taiwan & designed in the USA but the construction appears to be well done
and the welds are very neatly done.

As to the tubing on the Hardrock the stickers show 'custom grade CroMo'
so I do not know if it is butted or not but I expect it is being so much lighter than the Uni which the tubing sticker shows 3 main tubes as CroMo but does not say butted.

Makes me wonder how much lighter some of the higher end mtbs might be.

I plan on transferring the parts over to the Hardrock.
I really do not care for the magenta, white & purple
'Miami Vice' style colors on it so I might have it powder coated or just rattle can it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5468.jpg (97.7 KB, 18496 views)
Old 06-30-12, 12:32 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
'Miami Vice' style colors on it so I might have it powder coated or just rattle can it.

Just stop by a Thrift Store & pick up a white cotton Blazer to wear when your riding....It'll be fine and less work than painting

6.2 lbs
Never really thought about Frame wt. on my Iguana....but with 4 panniers full groceries, I think frame wt. is the least of my worries....Brake pads yes...frame wt...ehh??

If we had some trails or gravel roads nearby then I'd love to do another, this time maybe a fixed gear MTB drop bar conversion....could hang with 2 groups with that bad boy!
Likes For Velognome:
Old 06-30-12, 01:22 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Yarper, you might just try living with it for a while. My SJ (post 13) has definitely grown on me over time. Just play some '80s big hair rock while you tinker with the bike and it will all start to make sense.

Oddly, I don't see a Hard Rock Comp on this list. Maybe it's not comprehensive. https://www.mombat.org/Specialized_Specs.htm
Old 06-30-12, 01:26 PM
due ruote 

Has anyone here tried bending their own bars? I've read a bit that in the old days that's how it was done. I think I'd have liked my setup better if the drops had been shallower and splayed out dirt drop style.

I have some old bars to tinker with and might give it a try. I'm wondering if the bar should be filled with sand or something first to discourage it from flattening when I make the bend.
Old 06-30-12, 02:02 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Originally Posted by yarper3

blasphemy!
Likes For frantik:
Old 06-30-12, 02:18 PM
due ruote 

Originally Posted by frantik
blasphemy!
Well, I was trying to be more delicate with my post, but essentially, yes.
Old 06-30-12, 02:33 PM
cooperryder

Originally Posted by Velognome
Just stop by a Thrift Store & pick up a white cotton Blazer to wear when your riding....It'll be fine and less work than painting
[/QUOTE]due ruote
Yarper, you might just try living with it for a while. My SJ (post 13) has definitely grown on me over time. Just play some '80s big hair rock while you tinker with the bike and it will all start to make sense.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you guys cracked me up. I needed that humor.
I am very tempted to look for a white cotton blazer to wear while riding it.

Real men eat quiche and ride magenta & white mtb bikes with purple highlights wearing white blazers...right...heck yeah!
Old 06-30-12, 05:06 PM
due ruote 

Real men eat quiche and ride magenta & white mtb bikes with purple highlights wearing white blazers...right...heck yeah!
OK, maybe not in Dallas. But things were different in those days. Word to your mother.
Old 06-30-12, 05:35 PM
that_guy_zach

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Nice! I think that is the almost the same frame as my Rock Combo but with a little but slacker head tube angle. It rides real smooth with 650B Fatty Rumpkins
Originally Posted by yarper3
I decided to look for a bit lighter vintage mtb frame and switch the parts over from the Univega mtb I built up this week.
(See earlier post)

I picked up a prob 1989 or 90 Specialized Hardrock & it is considerably lighter.

6.2 lbs for frame & 1.8 for fork for 8.0 lbs total, a full
2 lbs lighter than Uni weighing in at 7.4 for frame & 2.6 for fork.

I know the Hardrock was not one of their higher end frames and the sticker indicates this one was
made in Taiwan & designed in the USA but the construction appears to be well done
and the welds are very neatly done.

As to the tubing on the Hardrock the stickers show 'custom grade CroMo'
so I do not know if it is butted or not but I expect it is being so much lighter than the Uni which the tubing sticker shows 3 main tubes as CroMo but does not say butted.

Makes me wonder how much lighter some of the higher end mtbs might be.

I plan on transferring the parts over to the Hardrock.

Old 06-30-12, 07:13 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Originally Posted by due ruote
But things were different in those days.
all the more reason to preserve the era the late 80s/early 90s was a wild time for bike paint
Old 06-30-12, 09:41 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
Has anyone here tried bending their own bars? I've read a bit that in the old days that's how it was done. I think I'd have liked my setup better if the drops had been shallower and splayed out dirt drop style.

I have some old bars to tinker with and might give it a try. I'm wondering if the bar should be filled with sand or something first to discourage it from flattening when I make the bend.
Shouldn't be a problem with steel, but I'm not sure I'd trust aluminum bars that had been bent a couple times.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-30-12, 11:38 PM
oldskoolwrench
自転車整備士

Bikes: '86 Moots Mountaineer, '94 Salsa Ala Carte, '94 S-Works FSR, 1983 Trek 600 & 620

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hardrock Comp's of that era were full Cro-Mo, but straight gauge tubing. It wasn't until you got to the Rockhopper and up
where butted tubes were used in the main triangle. When you got to the Stumpjumper, the tubes were custom gauge Cro-Mo
and then you started to see Prestige used in the main triangle.

The Hardrock Comp frame will be a little more aggressive than the Univega (71/73° ST/HT<) and therefore a tad more responsive.
It should make for a great drop bar conversion!
Old 07-02-12, 12:43 PM
cooperryder

Originally Posted by oldskoolwrench
Hardrock Comp's of that era were full Cro-Mo, but straight gauge tubing. It wasn't until you got to the Rockhopper and up
where butted tubes were used in the main triangle. When you got to the Stumpjumper, the tubes were custom gauge Cro-Mo
and then you started to see Prestige used in the main triangle.

The Hardrock Comp frame will be a little more aggressive than the Univega (71/73° ST/HT<) and therefore a tad more responsive.
It should make for a great drop bar conversion!
Thanks oldskoolwrench for the helpful info.

Interesting that my HardRock tubing sticker list it as custom gauge Cromo the same term you mention on the Stumpjumpers.

Anyone weigh their Stumpjumper frame? Wouldn't think it would even be a full pound lighter.
Of course with this type of build a little more weight is not a huge deal to me.

The 5 times I have ridden the Univega Rover now it seems to ride much lighter than it is. Does that sound crazy?

At any rate I enjoy the discovery process of working on, changing up, dialing in & most of all riding my vintage bikes.
Old 07-02-12, 04:16 PM
The MAX

Bikes: Surly Long haul Trucker with front and rack Nice Racks, 1984 Colnago Sport, 1983 Raleigh Condor

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Enough chit chat more picturessssssssssssss! lol

Here is my fairly recent 1992 Schwinn Woodlands build.

Not a real nice frame, but I really like it. Reynolds 500. 19.5" ST c-c and 23.5" TT c-c, perfect for my stubby legs and long arms. Everything has been replaced except the headset. Sealed BB, 8speed SIS Deore XT, Exage 300LX FD and crank, Tektro cantis and levers, shimano barends in friction, wheels are off a donor bike (as with rack and stem), and tires are 1.95" Tioga City Slickers from MEC. Also a new Brooks Flyer.

I love it.
Old 07-02-12, 08:19 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
My 84? Sierra. I have since ditched the fenders, and I am thinking modern knobby tires. It looks decidedly more masculine without the fenders, hehe. I used mostly modern parts. 8 speed wheels from a Hard Rock, Grey Deore LX RD, Tektro 720 Canti's. It hasn't been offroad since I built it, and has seen little miles at all. Maybe I can remedy that soon.,,,,BD

WOW, I got photobucket to work without freezing my computer. Must be a good day!

Old 07-02-12, 11:00 PM
realestvin7
Large Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Looking good, Billy Ray!

Originally Posted by Bikedued
My 84? Sierra. I have since ditched the fenders, and I am thinking modern knobby tires. It looks decidedly more masculine without the fenders, hehe. I used mostly modern parts. 8 speed wheels from a Hard Rock, Grey Deore LX RD, Tektro 720 Canti's. It hasn't been offroad since I built it, and has seen little miles at all. Maybe I can remedy that soon.,,,,BD

WOW, I got photobucket to work without freezing my computer. Must be a good day!

Old 07-03-12, 10:03 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
I sure like the 26"x1.75" Paselas on mine. They're smooth-running on pavement, but have enough "texture" to the tread that they rarely slip off-road.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-03-12, 11:44 AM
cooperryder

Originally Posted by Bikedued
That's a sharp looking Sierra.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.