Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Track Tire Questions

Old 02-10-16, 07:50 AM
1incpa

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Has anyone tried the Schwalbe Ultremo HT tubulars? A friend gave me a pair that is like new. I'll be racing at T-Town, an outdoor concrete track.
Thanks,
Paul
Old 02-11-16, 05:30 AM
1incpa

Well, I guess no one has experience with these...
From what I've read about them, they're decent tires. I guess my choices are to try them and report or to buy the Vittorias.
I have some time to decide...
Paul
Old 02-11-16, 07:18 AM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1incpa
Well, I guess no one has experience with these...
From what I've read about them, they're decent tires. I guess my choices are to try them and report or to buy the Vittorias.
I have some time to decide...
Paul

Try out the Schalbes and if you don't like them I can sell you some Vittoria Pista EVOs cheap at Ttown this Summer. I have few extra lying around.
Old 02-11-16, 07:43 AM
1incpa

Originally Posted by dunderhi
Try out the Schalbes and if you don't like them I can sell you some Vittoria Pista EVOs cheap at Ttown this Summer. I have few extra lying around.
Thanks for that!
I'm thinking that I will be trying out the Schwalbs. I'm going to try to get to the track pre-season, I'll probably know whether I'm going to keep them before the season starts.
Come to think...the whole bike is going to be a test run, as I haven't done more that ride it on the street since I got it.
Paul
Old 02-15-16, 10:57 AM
MarkWW

Bikes: A little of each

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
For those of you who use tubulars with a layer of latex on the base tape, what kind of prep work do you do? do you rough up the latex coat with a wire brush? Strip it off completely? Wipe it down with alcohol? Just drink some alcohol?
Old 02-15-16, 12:43 PM
wens

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a fine file that I keep clean and only use for that purpose. I hear it's overkill, but I'm conservative.

Edit: I use the file to rough up the latex, not completely strip it.
Old 04-02-16, 04:43 PM
treborm

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi ,
Just got myself a new Zipp 808 FC track tubular front it will only be used on an outdoor track.
So I have a 22mm vittoria crono cs stretching on it at the moment but it looks very narrow on the firecrest rim. Is the 22mm tub too narrow for these rims and should I go for a wider tub.

Thanks

Rob
Old 04-04-16, 08:31 PM
thearthurdog

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried that exact tyre on that exact wheel and found it too narrow.
Old 06-15-16, 10:34 AM
1incpa

I thought I'd let you all know how I'm making out with the Schwalbes.

I have one glued onto a Zipp 404 for the front and the other glued to a disc. They seem like nice tires, I can't think of anything good or bad to say about them, which I guess is good. I have 5 or 6 race days on them so far, and I can tell you with certainty that if anything's holding my racing back, it's not the tires. I do like that they don't lose a lot of pressure, even overnight. The Vittorias would be almost flat in 24 hours.

For what it's worth, I have a Vittoria Pista CS Elite glued to the rear 404 and can't feel any difference between it and the Schwalbe.

Long story short, I like them. They're kind of expensive, so that'll factor into my decision when they need replacing.

PI
Old 06-15-16, 08:23 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
If the Schwalbes are not deflating, means they must be buytl rather than latex inner tubes. The later is preferred being better for rolling resistance.

Last edited by Dalai; 06-15-16 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-24-16, 07:18 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Anyone ridden the Corsa SL clinchers? Slick version of the open CX I believe. Would be going on a set of Ellipse wheels.
Old 07-25-16, 06:33 AM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Voodoo76
Anyone ridden the Corsa SL clinchers? Slick version of the open CX I believe. Would be going on a set of Ellipse wheels.
I've ridden the tubular version of the Corsa SL without any issues on a concrete track.
Old 08-24-16, 09:10 PM
Not the Slowest

Bikes: 2002 Seven Axiom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey all,
Products improve or sometimes go the opposite so here is my Tire question just so my info is current.

I'm racing on asphalt(Kissena) and at times concrete (T-town). Figuring that soon may be a good time to purchase some new tubulars and wanted to get some input.

I have been using Vittoria Corsa Evo Slick & Vittoria Corsa EVO CX lll on my wheels. I have no experience with other tires. The tires have lasted me about 2 seasons without issues except long valves which made it a hassle to pump the disk. That problemby the way was fixed by making the hole larger.

So I'm looking at Vittoria Corsa SL Tubular , Veloflex Record Tubular and Vittoria Corsa Elite Tubular.
My ultimate goal is a tire that is not too "fragile" and will last my seasonal use. I race March 20-September 10 and that usually is 1-2 nights a week and in May-September add another 1-2 sessions of training a week on them.
I'm 210 so I can assure it's about tires that hold up and hold the surface the best that they can.

Suggestions?

Thanks Robert
Old 09-27-16, 08:53 AM
Huskey
Great at turning left

Bikes: BT Stealth

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey guys, although i've read throught the thread a few time in the past im still unsure what tires to get on my race wheels.
Currently i have a set of conti sprinters on my campy pistas on my training wheels, but on my race wheels ive got a sprinter on a disc (needs replacing) and a bare ffwd F9.
Most of my racing will be on an outdoor 333m concrete track, but i'll have one of two meetings on an indoor. I'm hoping to get 1 to 2 seasons of racing out of them, 2/3 meetings on outdoor and 1/2 indoor.
Will the vittoria evo cs pista be a suitabe tyre or will it be too delicate/wear too quickly on an outdoor track?
Old 09-27-16, 09:12 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
If you're talking about under 6 meets per year, then yeah, those Vittorias will hold up to it.
If you're training on them, or doing weekly racing, then it's a good chance they'll wear out. I usually don't recommend people use those for concrete tracks, but, your use is so light it probably won't be a factor. That said, I think that a Continental tire - either the Tempo II or the Steher - would be a better choice for concrete.
Old 09-27-16, 01:32 PM
gl98115

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Vittoria has revamped their tires and don't produce an Evo CS Pista anymore. Your choices are now the Pista, Pista Speed, and the Pista Control.

https://www.vittoria.com/tires/road-...e-series=track
Old 09-28-16, 06:15 AM
Huskey
Great at turning left

Bikes: BT Stealth

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gl98115
Vittoria has revamped their tires and don't produce an Evo CS Pista anymore. Your choices are now the Pista, Pista Speed, and the Pista Control.

Yeah but most places are still selling the old tyres (at a lower price too)

Whats the current line of thought when it comes to sizing these days? do i get the 19m or 22mm?
Old 11-27-16, 08:44 PM
houleskis

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gl98115

Has anyone tried the new Pistas (either control or regular)?

I'm looking for a all-round tire that will be mainly used on indoor wooden tracks (maybe a bit of outdoor concrete but that'll only be a handful of times). Currently leaning towards a Conti Tempo II so I can get some decent life out of the tire.
Old 12-04-16, 02:43 PM
thearthurdog

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Voodoo76
Those tyres / wheels are my exact combination for training. Have found them fine indoors and outdoors.
Old 12-31-16, 11:40 AM
ruudlaff

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Question: Vittoria tubs/removable valves

Of the Vittoria Pista tubular range, does anyone know which models support the replaceable valves rather than having to use extenders?
Old 01-15-17, 07:01 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Part I
I'm looking for a very light road hill climbing tire. If it works for the first 20 miles - perfect. there will be minimal glass but there may be road pebbles/gravel.
Specifics - for Pikes Peak climb starting 9,000, finishing 14,000 and riding down is not a requirement, although likely. Ave speed about 11mph. Weight matters a lot.

I've used Vittoria Crono CS 24mm and they are light, but puncture flat on the road like crazy (I get that is what you get). Veloflex Record 22s are up there.
Ideally these are <200g, roll well. While I don't see them tested much I think silk is still a great casing. I ordered the Vittoria Corsa Speed G+ Tubular Road to check them out.
Any track tires you might suggest for this?

Part II
I want to use a rigid track glue. Is Soyo the best? What else?
Old 01-15-17, 09:29 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Part I
I'm looking for a very light road hill climbing tire. If it works for the first 20 miles - perfect. there will be minimal glass but there may be road pebbles/gravel.
Specifics - for Pikes Peak climb starting 9,000, finishing 14,000 and riding down is not a requirement, although likely. Ave speed about 11mph. Weight matters a lot.

I've used Vittoria Crono CS 24mm and they are light, but puncture flat on the road like crazy (I get that is what you get). Veloflex Record 22s are up there.
Ideally these are <200g, roll well. While I don't see them tested much I think silk is still a great casing. I ordered the Vittoria Corsa Speed G+ Tubular Road to check them out.
Any track tires you might suggest for this?

Part II
I want to use a rigid track glue. Is Soyo the best? What else?
Wrong forum. You should ask in the Road forum.
Old 01-15-17, 09:40 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by carleton
Wrong forum. You should ask in the Road forum.
I do not think those in the road forum know about the best track glue or 22-24mm track tires.
So I asked here.
Old 01-15-17, 11:48 PM
MarkWW

Bikes: A little of each

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I bet you could get by with using something in the tufo range. I have a set of elite <160g tires I got stuck riding on the road a few times without issue.

As for track glue, it's my understanding that nobody really makes a "track" versus "road" glue anymore. The best you could do if you want a hard drying glue is shellac.
Old 01-16-17, 10:26 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by MarkWW

As for track glue, it's my understanding that nobody really makes a "track" versus "road" glue anymore. The best you could do if you want a hard drying glue is shellac.
Thank you. Any track tire specific brand?
I'm Internet searching and seeing it for head gaskets.

I got the tire resolved - I think.

I'm likely going with an FMB track tire with a record tread. So silk track casing 24mm and then the same tread as on the Vittoria Crono CS mentioned in post #1.

The plan will be to also use on the track if the removal does not destroy the tire. They will have only 2-3 hours on them and be a few grams heavier than a "normal" track tire.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.