Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Making or making do gear

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Making or making do gear

Old 01-17-18, 01:34 PM
craigeckhoff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Making or making do gear

I have lots of experience improvising on touring gear. My aim is to help those who wish to start touring learn cheap and inventive ways to start. One idem I do most of the time is use a tarp instead of a tent. Now some will use a rain fly/lightweight nylon rig. I just use a old cheap mall mart blue tarp. 8 by 10, 4 metal stakes, some para cord and in my case, my cane/walking stick. I rig this up like an old miners tent. Lie it flat, put 2 stakes in the corners of the 10 foot side. The other 10 foot side I prop up with my cane, tie a bit of cord to the grommet and cane, then stake the corners of that 10 foot side. I've also done it using the 8 foot sides instead. My "bed" and gear fit inside and off to sleep I go.
Old 01-17-18, 02:32 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
^^^ How does that work for bugs, critters and rain? I plan for the best but expect the worse.
Old 01-17-18, 05:01 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I think I'd prefer to skip a weekend on the bike, work some OT, and use the money to buy a proper tent. You can buy a more than suitable one for around the $100 mark.

I'm a fan of doing things frugally, but that sounds like a great way to ruin a tour. Not to mention, I'd have to carry a cane.

Heck, given the choice between a $8 tarp and whatever a couple tent stakes and cord cost, or this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...Tent/564163066 I'd probably go for the $30 tent.
Old 01-17-18, 06:40 PM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by craigeckhoff
I have lots of experience improvising on touring gear. My aim is to help those who wish to start touring learn cheap and inventive ways to start. One idem I do most of the time is use a tarp instead of a tent. Now some will use a rain fly/lightweight nylon rig. I just use a old cheap mall mart blue tarp. 8 by 10, 4 metal stakes, some para cord and in my case, my cane/walking stick. I rig this up like an old miners tent. Lie it flat, put 2 stakes in the corners of the 10 foot side. The other 10 foot side I prop up with my cane, tie a bit of cord to the grommet and cane, then stake the corners of that 10 foot side. I've also done it using the 8 foot sides instead. My "bed" and gear fit inside and off to sleep I go.
I used to use a big sheet of Visqueen (plastic sheet) with Tarp Locks. Sleeping "bag" was a couple of old wool army blankets, camped that way for years.

The pop can alcohol stoves are another slick improvisation. I know a few guys that just tour with a can opener and don't bother cooking anything at all.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 01-17-18, 07:15 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 189 Posts
Why the cane? Here's a mate of mine who often uses a tarp and it was an excellent choice on that particular evening along the Missouri River, but I personally would prefer a cheap tent against the potential elements.

[IMG]061 by robow 77[/IMG]
Old 01-18-18, 01:27 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
^^^ How does that work for bugs, critters and rain? I plan for the best but expect the worse.
I imagine snakes would like that setup too!
Old 01-18-18, 01:28 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
We opted to purchase a good, but relatively inexpensive tent. It has lasted a decade.
Old 01-18-18, 01:42 AM
tmac100

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I suspect my Hennessy Hammock and my Hilleberg Akto (for use where there are no trees/fenceposts) to outlast my bicycle touring. They have been great since my first Australian tour in 2006.
Old 01-18-18, 01:44 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
I've always had issues with floppy panniers getting into the spokes.

Apparently the new touring racks have rear support. But, the triangle support racks are much more common, and cheaper, especially second hand.

So, I've added pegs.

This bike, I cut some aluminum bar stock, and attached with my favorite electrical tape. I'm not quite sure how I got the angles so far off. My other bike, I put round tubes on it, but have since taken them off as I wasn't carrying panniers frequently.

Pegs.jpg
Old 01-18-18, 09:23 AM
craigeckhoff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use DEET to keep bugs away, even works for small critters. I improvised a rear rack from an old metal shelf unit. Cut one upright in two (2 ft each piece) , the other two 18 inch pieces and two 6 inch pieces. The 2 ft sections I bolted to my seat tube (1/4 inch bolt), the rear and front area I bolted the 6 inch pieces width wise. The 18 inch pieces I bolted to the rear wheel axle and each side of the top of the rack. I can vouch for holding 100 lbs for a 100 miles. I built a front rack but that I'll explain in a additional post
Old 01-18-18, 09:50 AM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Great ideas if money is really hard to come by. A serviceable rack can be purchased for as little as $40 and tent for under $50 or $60. When I was in college, I did a lot of hitchhiking and backpacking without a tent- just a big piece of visqueen. Back in those days I truly had very little money to spend on camping equipment. Now, I don't want to present the image of a vagabond (not that there is anything wrong with that), because I have found that people are less receptive if they think you are going to ask them for a hand out.
Old 01-18-18, 11:36 AM
Eggman84

Bikes: 2014 Bruce Gordon Rock&Road, 1995 Santana Visa Tandem, 1990 Trek 520, 2012 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
When and where I am not worried about bugs (like no-see-ums or mosquitoes), I have used a tarp for cycle touring, backpacking, and backcountry ski touring. I like the simplicity and the feeling of being outside, and have not had trouble with rain. However, in the summer or above treeline, I generally carry a tent. Its what works for you that matters.
Old 01-22-18, 09:22 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 2,601 Times in 930 Posts
craigeckhoff; Any pix?
Old 01-22-18, 09:49 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
All last summer I have been collecting materials to build a complete touring setup - bike and all - for under $200. I was going to make panniers out of $5 kitchen-size garbage bins, a $20 walmart tent, a $5 yoga mat for a pad, and a blanket. The bike that I was going to build it all on was an old Trek 700 that I inherited from my father in law. It wasnt special, but it worked well, and was reliable. I donated the bike an a whole lot of other bikes to a bike co-op, and that stalled my project.

I'm going to start a thread about this.
Old 01-22-18, 02:13 PM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by craigeckhoff
I use DEET to keep bugs away, even works for small critters. I improvised a rear rack from an old metal shelf unit. Cut one upright in two (2 ft each piece) , the other two 18 inch pieces and two 6 inch pieces. The 2 ft sections I bolted to my seat tube (1/4 inch bolt), the rear and front area I bolted the 6 inch pieces width wise. The 18 inch pieces I bolted to the rear wheel axle and each side of the top of the rack. I can vouch for holding 100 lbs for a 100 miles. I built a front rack but that I'll explain in a additional post
So deet works for snakes seeking warmth, crawling bugs, raccoons and skunks? Awesome.
Old 01-22-18, 04:24 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,633 Times in 1,670 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
I think I'd prefer to skip a weekend on the bike, work some OT, and use the money to buy a proper tent. You can buy a more than suitable one for around the $100 mark.

I'm a fan of doing things frugally, but that sounds like a great way to ruin a tour. Not to mention, I'd have to carry a cane.

Heck, given the choice between a $8 tarp and whatever a couple tent stakes and cord cost, or this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...Tent/564163066 I'd probably go for the $30 tent.
+1 of course i just got a 2p big agnes!!!!!!