Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My Raleigh 3 Speed Sport

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My Raleigh 3 Speed Sport

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-18, 01:49 PM
parris001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Raleigh 3 Speed Sport

So last year I had purchased for a beach trip a Schwinn Suburban. I liked the bike okay, and the price was good. Everything about the bike appealed to me but when I got to the beach and went to use it I found that I just didn't need 10 speeds and the complexity took away from enjoying the overall experience. I like a good 10 speed. But I got used to Shimano STI on my Gardin road bike so the old friction shifters were too big of a step back for me.

The Schwinn is for sale and this year I'll be heading down to the beach with my Raleigh 3 Speed Sport. I'll admit I wish I had done a little more research before buying the Raleigh. It's a great bike and it promises to do everything I want it to do. But I wasn't aware that there were Taiwan made Raleighs that to the untrained eye looks pretty much like English made Raleighs. So I got an Asian bike. Not the end of the world. Its very well kept. Still has the original front tire on it in almost perfect shape. I don't think this bike was ridden much at all. Slight adjustment to the three speed and it's MINT!

I hated the Viscount seat that came with the bike (looked like a Walmart seat for old ladies with fat butts) so I bought an older vintage Viscount and put it on.

Here's my question: I want to swap out the front sprocket to gear the bike a little bit lower. Third gear is going to be so high it will almost be for downhill only. There may be a way to change the gear sets in the rear hub but I'm not aware. I figured the easiest way would be to swap front sprockets and take a few links out of the chain.

Tell me the best way to go about this
Old 09-09-18, 02:00 PM
jamesj

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL, 2006 Paul Frank Cruiser, 1987 Specialized Street Stomper, 1980 Trek 412, 1979 Raleigh Sport,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 25 Posts
Its really easy to swap out the cog on the stormy archer hub. I also used to have a twain made Raleigh it was a really well made bike.

Look here at this thread
Old 09-09-18, 02:30 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Sprocket on the back is super easy to change - most go from the standard 18T to a 20 or 22T. You might not even need to change the chain but both sprocket and chain are inexpensive.

Old 09-09-18, 03:10 PM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Changing the cog on the Sturmey Archer hub is the way to go. True, you would need a longer chain rather than shorter, but I think in the long run it would be cheaper to use a new chain than swapping out the crank. Here's the type of cog you would need. A dished, three splined 1/8" with your choice of teeth. They call it coaster, but they also work on AW hubs. There's a circlip on the hub you need to pry off with a small screwdriver. Getting it back on is a pest. It's one of those things you just have to fight with until you win. Let us know how it goes.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sturmey-Arc...IAAOSwsZJaWKe1
Old 09-09-18, 03:48 PM
parris001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does my Taiwan bike have a Sturmey Archer hub? I was under the impression that the Asian bikes had an inferior rear hub on them. Educate me, please.
Old 09-09-18, 05:33 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
Originally Posted by parris001
Does my Taiwan bike have a Sturmey Archer hub? I was under the impression that the Asian bikes had an inferior rear hub on them. Educate me, please.
Most of the commonly seen 3 speed hubs all use the same 3 spline rear cog.
Old 09-09-18, 09:41 PM
Cute Boy Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by parris001
Okay I'll start

Raleigh is English
Old 09-10-18, 03:51 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Cute Boy Horse
Okay I'll start

Raleigh is English
Not this one. It's one of these.

Old 09-10-18, 05:00 AM
Fidbloke

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If the rear hub is Sturmey Archer, it should say so on the hub itself.
Since the bike was built in Taiwan, it's possible that you may have a three-speed Shimano hub on the back, but I think they use a similar sprocket fitting as the Sturmey Archers. It slides onto a round hub and has three locating lugs which fit into grooves on that hub. The sprocket is then held in place with a round circlip.
Either way, the first thing you need to do, is to see what you have on your bike. Check what hub you have and see what size rear sprocket you have (how many teeth). Then you can start deciding what bits you need to bring the gearing down.
Old 09-10-18, 09:57 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Well based on the shadow in the picture of the shifter it has the SA hub. Shimano shifters of that era were round and flat.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon