Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

5 speed IGH bikes info and appreciation.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-18, 04:58 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 522 Posts

I am looking to build one of these and want to know some information before I do. With a typical 3 speed IGH I ride in 2nd and shift to 3rd if I get going or down hill and use 1st for any hill. Now I am thinking of a Grand Sportier built up with a newer 5 speed and am wondering what chainring and rear cog some of you are using? Do you like along the chain stay for the gear cable or the seat stay?
What shifter are you using? Maybe other questions will come out.

My build will probably be 700c, upright bars (not chop and flop), MKS pedals, probably a Brooks Flyer, Schwalbe Marathon Plus 37mm tires and no fenders, but possibly a chain guard.

Similar to this

Something similar to this
This will be more of a sunny day ride.

Old 09-08-18, 10:01 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Well, I know you've seen this one.

I used a 52t chainring in front, mostly because the chain guard on the Stronglight cranks matched it. That necessitated a 21t cog in the back. If you're wanting a full chain guard I'd select something like a 42t to better match the curvature of the guard You can "adust" the range of gearing by changing the rear cog. With a 5 speed IGH you'll have to decide if you want/need a low low end or a higher high end. A Sturmey Archer 5 speed IGH, for example, only has a 243% range of gear ratio. If you're riding relatively flat ground, that'll be more than enough. If you want/need to ride in hillier country, a 7 or 8 speed might be a better choice, or you can compromise on the high end and just coast on the downhills.
Old 09-10-18, 10:02 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I have a build going, but danged if I can remember what the tooth counts are. I have the XLRD-5 rear hub and the XL-FDD for the front. Mine is going on a Raleigh Record? frame set with mustache bars. I am using the bar end shifter from SA. I will check the chain ring and rear cog tonight. Update: I have a 46t chainring and an 18t on the hub. Bike isn't finished yet, so I can't tell whether that combination will work for me or not. I did run it through a gear calculator and it looked decent for me. Bike is going to have fenders and a rack, but most of mine do anyway.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon

Last edited by wahoonc; 09-10-18 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-10-18, 12:37 PM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
This is my primary winter-weather bike, equipped with XL-RD5 and XL-FD hubs. This winter, it'll be getting upgraded to the generator version of that same front hub, so that I can have generator-powered lighting on it like I do on the other bikes that get used regularly for commuting/transportation

Old 09-10-18, 08:51 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
The page for the Sturmey Archer RX-RF5 hub shows this gear chart:

• Overall Range - 243%
• Gear 1 - 64% (Gear 2 - 25%)
• Gear 2 - 80% (Gear 3 - 25%)
• Gear 3 - 100% (Direct Drive)
• Gear 4 - 125% (Gear 3 + 25%)
• Gear 5 - 156% (Gear 4 + 25%)

So do the math to determine which size chainring and cog to use.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-10-18, 09:25 PM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
With a Sturmey Archer X-RF5(w), I'm using a 44t chainring and 19t cog. The terrain is pretty flat where I live. And I only get into 5th gear downhill or with a tailwind.
Old 09-11-18, 03:18 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
I have a build going, but danged if I can remember what the tooth counts are. I have the XLRD-5 rear hub and the XL-FDD for the front. Mine is going on a Raleigh Record? frame set with mustache bars. I am using the bar end shifter from SA. I will check the chain ring and rear cog tonight. Update: I have a 46t chainring and an 18t on the hub. Bike isn't finished yet, so I can't tell whether that combination will work for me or not. I did run it through a gear calculator and it looked decent for me. Bike is going to have fenders and a rack, but most of mine do anyway.

Aaron
I wonder what those larger drum brakes look like on a bike. I have a XL RD-5(w) as well that I want to put on a bike but those things are massive!

Last edited by JaccoW; 09-11-18 at 03:23 AM.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 09-11-18, 04:05 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
I wonder what those larger drum brakes look like on a bike. I have a XL RD-5(w) as well that I want to put on a bike but those things are massive!
Looked okay to me I went with the XL because either me or my son will be riding the bike and we both are XL.

I will have to pop the wheels on the frame and get a picture later. Right now we are in the middle of hurricane prep.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 09-11-18, 07:11 AM
agmetal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, ANT 3-speed roadster, New Albion Privateer singlespeed, Raleigh One Way singlespeed, Raleigh Professional "retro roadie" rebuild, 198? Fuji(?) franken-5-speed, 1937 Raleigh Tourist, 1952 Raleigh Sports, 1966 Raleigh Sports step-through

I wonder what those larger drum brakes look like on a bike.
Originally Posted by agmetal
This is my primary winter-weather bike, equipped with XL-RD5 and XL-FD hubs. This winter, it'll be getting upgraded to the generator version of that same front hub, so that I can have generator-powered lighting on it like I do on the other bikes that get used regularly for commuting/transportation

An example was right above your post!
Old 09-11-18, 07:29 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

An example was right above your post!
Didn't notice until after I posted!

They don't look overly large or out of place on that bike. How do you like the modulation? No issues with the hub? I've read the XL-RD5 wasn't always the most reliable hub out there.

Bike looks good though. If you like that particular battery light you will probably enjoy the B+M Cyo Premium as they are essentially the same light.
Old 09-11-18, 08:11 AM
agmetal

Didn't notice until after I posted!

They don't look overly large or out of place on that bike. How do you like the modulation? No issues with the hub? I've read the XL-RD5 wasn't always the most reliable hub out there.

Bike looks good though. If you like that particular battery light you will probably enjoy the B+M Cyo Premium as they are essentially the same light.
My only complaints with the hubs are that the front brake can sometimes get a bit grabby/sticky when it's really cold, but oiling the pivots this past year seems to have helped. I do find that the 70mm version is sufficient for most of my use with an upright bike, though. The 5-speed is a bit finicky to get the gears adjusted correctly, but otherwise no problems there.

I'll be putting the B&M Cyo Premium T on this bike, same as I have on 4 others. The battery light is the Trelock LS-950 Control Ion. The Cyo Premium is a little brighter than the Trelock's brightest setting, and the beam pattern is at least twice as wide!
Old 09-12-18, 10:14 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

My only complaints with the hubs are that the front brake can sometimes get a bit grabby/sticky when it's really cold, but oiling the pivots this past year seems to have helped. I do find that the 70mm version is sufficient for most of my use with an upright bike, though. The 5-speed is a bit finicky to get the gears adjusted correctly, but otherwise no problems there.

I'll be putting the B&M Cyo Premium T on this bike, same as I have on 4 others. The battery light is the Trelock LS-950 Control Ion. The Cyo Premium is a little brighter than the Trelock's brightest setting, and the beam pattern is at least twice as wide!
That's in line with what I have been reading elsewhere. Thanks.

I have a few varieties of the Cyo myself and I really like them as a light. Much better pattern than the B+M IQ-XS but it is a very sexy light to look at.