Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Brand reco's for kid's bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-21, 02:40 PM
bassJAM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Looking for a recommendation for something my 5 year old can use that can later be passed on to my other 2 kids. If a $50 Huffy from walmart will last through 3 kids, that's great. But wondering if it's worth spending a little more (or significantly more, could probably swing $300) for something else? Probably a 16" bike. I know little to nothing about what brands are bad, decent, or good these days, and often kids equipment isn't even in the same league as adult stuff from the same company.

Or is it just better to buy a "disposable" bike for each of them because they'll grow out of them so quickly? Because after the 16" there will probably be a 20" bike. Then a 24".
Old 06-21-21, 03:51 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6187 Post(s)
Liked 4,804 Times in 3,314 Posts
The $300 you spend on one will buy six $50 Huffy's. So each of your potential 3 kids could completely tear up one bike and get another.
Old 06-21-21, 04:01 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I'd buy a Fairdale Macaroni. Give the landfill a break.

Old 06-21-21, 04:09 PM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
If you can afford it, buy one of the nicer brands of kids bikes. The better bikes are lighter, easier for a kid to handle, have hand brakes without a coaster brake, and have kid-sized components, which makes riding more fun and less frustrating for a kid. Don't get training wheels. The good bikes will easily last through 3 kids - there's not a lot a kid can do to wreck a good quality bike. At worst they'll scratch it a bit from falls and maybe wear through tires if they insist on skidding. I have a 4- and a 6-year old and have now bought, used: a Woom 2 (14"), Spawn Furi (14"), Cleary Hedgehog (16"), and Islabikes Beinn (20"). (The only reason for buying the second 14" bike was it was so cheap I knew I could resell it for more, but it's ended up on continuous loan to friends and nieces). My kids have been equally happy on all of them. There are several good sites reviewing kids bikes so no need for me to go into details here; I recommend Two Wheeling Tots, Rascal Rides, and The Bike Dads. There's a pretty good resale market for higher-end kids bikes, so you're likely to recover some of the cost later - at the moment there's such a shortage that I've even seen used kids bikes listed on Craigslist above their original price because they're not available new. Here's my kids from last August - the blue bike in front is the Spawn Furi, the red one behind it is the Islabikes Beinn.

Last edited by nathand; 06-21-21 at 04:14 PM. Reason: clarification
Likes For nathand:
Old 06-22-21, 02:47 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
When my grandson was five I bought him a nice 16 inch BMX bike. Forgot exactly which one but it was in the $300 range with a chromo frame. It was a hair big for him, he's a smaller kid but the saddle goes down plenty far enough and he had room to grow on it. He would have outgrown a 12 inch too fast. I bought him a bigger bike when he was 8 and my now 3 year old grandson will inherit it.

Something like this:

https://us.sourcebmx.com/collections...4&currency=usd

Likes For Lazyass:
Old 06-22-21, 04:08 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 4,835 Times in 2,989 Posts
We had a good experience with the Early Rider brand of kids bikes. Top quality and very good resale value. Overall they didn’t cost any more than the cheap disposable bikes. I really liked the belt drive too for the smaller models. Both our daughters, 3 years apart, used them and then sold for about 75% of what they originally cost.
Old 06-22-21, 05:02 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
The brand you should be looking for is "Used"

​​​​​​https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik...336471372.html

​​​​​​https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/bik...329404280.html
Likes For dedhed:
Old 06-22-21, 05:41 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3132 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Wait, can you really get a Walmart bike, Huffy or otherwise, for $50? If so, I’d do that and be done with it; no brain-er.

For my kids, we bought used mostly, but were given a couple 2nd handers, too. Kids’ bikes are bountiful on Craigslist around here. Once they got past their first couple of bikes, though, they got new store-bought, so 16” and 20” wheelers were hand-me-down and CL, and at 24”, they got to go shopping with Dad.
Old 06-22-21, 05:47 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by bassJAM
Looking for a recommendation for something my 5 year old can use that can later be passed on to my other 2 kids.
Are there any families in your neighborhood with older kids, who might have outgrown their bikes? Kids grow so fast it makes little sense to be constantly buying new bikes.

When I was little, there was a family nearby with eight kids, all of them older. My brother and I inherited ALL their old stuff, and most of it was really ancient by the time we got it. But it was functional and my parents loved it because it was free.
Old 06-22-21, 06:14 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Get something used from your local CL. Your kids quickly go through the sizes.
Likes For seypat:
Old 06-22-21, 07:12 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Not withstanding the recommendations to buy a second hand bike in the first place. BYK is a good brand for children's bikes. Giant are making some excellent children's bikes these days as well.
Old 06-22-21, 07:33 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthonyG
Giant are making some excellent children's bikes these days as well.
Giant is great for geared kid's bikes. We got my son a 7 speed Giant for considerably less than what the other Big Bike manufacturers were offering (part of that was likely the rigid front end, but I didn't really want suspension anyway). IIRC, it was right around $300.
Old 06-22-21, 08:22 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Looking for a recommendation for something my 5 year old can use that can later be passed on to my other 2 kids. If a $50 Huffy from walmart will last through 3 kids, that's great. But wondering if it's worth spending a little more (or significantly more, could probably swing $300) for something else? Probably a 16" bike. I know little to nothing about what brands are bad, decent, or good these days, and often kids equipment isn't even in the same league as adult stuff from the same company.

Or is it just better to buy a "disposable" bike for each of them because they'll grow out of them so quickly? Because after the 16" there will probably be a 20" bike. Then a 24".
- quality kids bikes can last for years and years, making the initial cost relatively low in the end.
- quality kids bikes can be sold on CL or FB for more than the big box kids bikes, making the final cost smaller.
- quality kids bikes can be set up to work better, making a more enjoyable experience for the kids.

Trek, Specialized, and Giant all sell kids bikes that are a step above big box bikes, but are tough to categorize as quality. Nutted axles, absurdly heavy and overbuilt frames, stamped steel 7sp shifting with grip shifters that are tough for small hands to use- none of that, to me, is quality.
If you go the route of a kids bike from one of those brands, just buy used. Heck, buy used and replace some of the components(handlebar, tires, pedals, seatpost, etc) and for an extra $50-100 the bike is both personalized and lighter. A lot of kids will want to help customize it too, so its an activity as well as improvement.

If you buy a quality kids bike, its usually $300-800 depending on what you get and if its new or used. That may not be worth it unless your kid shows a lot of interest and ability in riding either distance or singletrack or bmx.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-22-21, 08:46 AM
bassJAM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've looked on craigslist but honestly I'm not up on what's quality. I see Huffy's for $50 which seems about what they go for new, Schwinn's for $150 and based on the Schwinn I bought my wife 5 years ago it's probably not worth $5, and brands I've never heard of between $80-150. I'm just suspicious of what's decent or crap. I got my stepdaughter a Diamondback Tess 20" may years ago which IMO was a piece of crap which ended up frustrating her and she's disliked riding bikes since. No matter what I did I never could get the brakes adjusted to where even I could easily pull them and the tires gave me issues too until I replaced them, not what I expected out of at $200 kid's bike.

Right now I see a Raleigh MXR listed at $80 and a Giant Animator at $95 at distances I'm willing to drive for, either of these halfway decent? I'm too new here to post the links apparently.
Old 06-22-21, 10:42 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3132 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
I've looked on craigslist but honestly I'm not up on what's quality. I see Huffy's for $50 which seems about what they go for new, Schwinn's for $150 and based on the Schwinn I bought my wife 5 years ago it's probably not worth $5, and brands I've never heard of between $80-150. I'm just suspicious of what's decent or crap. I got my stepdaughter a Diamondback Tess 20" may years ago which IMO was a piece of crap which ended up frustrating her and she's disliked riding bikes since. No matter what I did I never could get the brakes adjusted to where even I could easily pull them and the tires gave me issues too until I replaced them, not what I expected out of at $200 kid's bike.

Right now I see a Raleigh MXR listed at $80 and a Giant Animator at $95 at distances I'm willing to drive for, either of these halfway decent? I'm too new here to post the links apparently.
I can’t address those models specifically, but I will say that, for a 5yr old’s 16” wheeled bike, keep it simple and stick with a coaster braked model. Cheap caliper brakes common to kids bikes rarely work well and scarcely constitute an upgrade from a coaster brake…and as you know, can be really frustrating.

Same with gearing; keep it single speed.

When the kid is experienced or older, gears and hand brakes can make sense and be worthwhile.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 06-22-21, 11:01 AM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
I wouldn't get either of those bikes - you really don't want a coaster brake and training wheels. You can learn to ride that way - most of us did - but the hand brakes and freewheel make it so much easier for a kid to learn, and modern V-brakes are plenty powerful for a kid to stop themself. I'm also pretty suspicious of any bike for which the manufacturer won't quote a weight (as is the case for the Giant). I don't really care if my bike weighs an extra 2 lbs, but that same 2 lbs is a much bigger fraction of a kid's weight. I highly recommend one of the kid-specific brands (which you might not have heard of) - Woom, Clearly, Prevelo, Spawn, there are lots more, see the review sites I linked in my earlier post - for a 20" or smaller bike. I got a 20" bike for my older child around when he turned 5 and he's on the shorter side, so there's a good chance you could start with a 20" bike for your 5-year-old, but make sure it fits - a too-large bike will be frustrating.
Old 06-22-21, 11:04 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
It really depends on the kid. I got a used 20" geared Hotrock for <$100 for my oldest kid (a year ago at age 6) and put maybe another fifty bucks into it making it better, and he is just anxious about riding and that's probably all he needs. But for the twins we are getting better bikes already because they are just crazy good. The girl got a Spawn Banshee (also used), and it's just awesome. Even when she gets too big to sit and pedal on it, it will be a great bike for the pump track or dirt jumps.

The $50 Walmart bikes are bad tricycles pretending to be bikes. But you don't need to pay Woom money either, a few companies listed above have stepped in to fill the gap.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 06-22-21, 11:12 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,103 Times in 1,367 Posts
Having put three kids through the balance bike thing, my opinion is mixed. They do get the balance down but they have a hard time with the pedaling unless they also have a pedal toy like a Big Wheel or a tricycle.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-22-21, 11:26 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by nathand
I'm also pretty suspicious of any bike for which the manufacturer won't quote a weight (as is the case for the Giant).
its their practice for any bike, adult or kid.
Old 06-22-21, 11:33 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 973 Posts
Woom bikes- the best kids bikes hands down. All they do is kids' bikes in fact.

But if you're on a budget, look for a used Specialized Hotrock bikes. These are reasonably good aluminum bikes which are a mile better than the heavy cheap steel Walmart bikes. They come in 12", 16" and 20" wheel sizes. You do have to replace the crankset with a shorter crankset and replace the chainring with a smaller one. You can lighten these Hotrock bikes quite a bit by putting BMX race parts on there.
Old 06-22-21, 11:34 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
I got a used Giant Pudd'n 16" bike for my daughter when she was 3 for I think $45. She eventually outgrew it. I pulled the pedals and my son used it as a balance bike in addition to a 16" bike I got for him (Trek this time, also used, also about $50) when he was 3. My daughter moved on to a 24" bike at age 6 - she was tall but it was too much for her for the first year or so and my son moved on to a 20" bike at age 6 (a better fit). Those first 2 16" bikes, I spent about $100 on total for the pair and just got $50 back by selling them on Facebook Marketplace. The kids' current bikes were also used (both Giants), that I got in like new condition for less than 1/3 retail and will probably both be sold when the kids outgrow them (my daughter's might get handed down to my son first). Since those were birthday presents, my kids, not me, will get the money, but they'll probably sell for not less than half what I paid for them unless the kids totally trash them. Buying decent quality used means you'll get something that lasts and might get a chunk of that back when your kids outgrow them. A Huffy is more disposable, and you won't get as much back.
Old 06-22-21, 11:34 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
I can't find the thread but a few years ago someone asked this and I suggested they look at Cleary Bikes based on nothing more than a couple articles I'd read. Basically a guy started a company specifically for kids bikes, they have some upgrade-ability built into them. Of course the downside being that they cost more than the $50 Huffy. Apparently the OP of that thread was interested, bought one for his kid, came back to the thread and reported that he was very happy with the whole process.

So, they've got that going for them.
Old 06-22-21, 11:40 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Having put three kids through the balance bike thing, my opinion is mixed. They do get the balance down but they have a hard time with the pedaling unless they also have a pedal toy like a Big Wheel or a tricycle.
My kids both had a 16" pedal bike that I'd removed pedals from and a pedal bike with training wheels at the same time (they usually preferred the bike set up as a balance bike because they could go faster on it). My son also started a bit earlier with a 12" balance bike. My son's 16" bike also was set up for a while to be hooked up to my bike with a followme tandem setup so he could learn to pedal. Let me tell you the learning process on that (when he tried to "help" by pedaling backwards - he couldn't figure out the direction - as we went up hills) was a challenge. But it got him to practice pedaling, we got to spend time together as we went farther and he got to explore parts of the neighborhood he never got to see on his own, and he got to control the speed a bit if we got going faster than he was comfortable with on a downhill.
Old 06-22-21, 11:44 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
I can't find the thread but a few years ago someone asked this and I suggested they look at Cleary Bikes based on nothing more than a couple articles I'd read. Basically a guy started a company specifically for kids bikes, they have some upgrade-ability built into them. Of course the downside being that they cost more than the $50 Huffy. Apparently the OP of that thread was interested, bought one for his kid, came back to the thread and reported that he was very happy with the whole process.

So, they've got that going for them.
I found the thread where the guy bought the Cleary Bike: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ys-rear-3.html
Old 06-22-21, 02:01 PM
bassJAM

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nathand
I wouldn't get either of those bikes - you really don't want a coaster brake and training wheels. You can learn to ride that way - most of us did - but the hand brakes and freewheel make it so much easier for a kid to learn, and modern V-brakes are plenty powerful for a kid to stop themself. I'm also pretty suspicious of any bike for which the manufacturer won't quote a weight (as is the case for the Giant). I don't really care if my bike weighs an extra 2 lbs, but that same 2 lbs is a much bigger fraction of a kid's weight. I highly recommend one of the kid-specific brands (which you might not have heard of) - Woom, Clearly, Prevelo, Spawn, there are lots more, see the review sites I linked in my earlier post - for a 20" or smaller bike. I got a 20" bike for my older child around when he turned 5 and he's on the shorter side, so there's a good chance you could start with a 20" bike for your 5-year-old, but make sure it fits - a too-large bike will be frustrating.
I'd actually prefer coaster brakes, I like the reliability and simpleness of them them and my daughter already knows how to use them. You should have seen my wife trying to figure out coaster brakes at 30, she'd never had a bike with them and when I got her a beach cruiser at her request she bailed off the bike about for half a day to stop before she figured it out. And as I said, training wheels would come off anything immediately, she already knows how to ride and balance on a pedal bike.

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I'm a big fan of them. My step daughter just had a traditional pedal bike to learn on and there was a ton of tears and "I'm never trying to ride AGAIN" statements when I was teaching her, she was 6 1/2 before she finally learned to ride. So I got a Strider balance bike for my oldest daughter and by the end of the summer she was balancing fine, and then I got her the Strider 14x which converts from a balance bike to pedals. Once she was used to balancing on the larger bike and I added pedals it took her all of 30 minutes to figure out how to use them, and she didn't have any other pedal toys. She was riding like a pro 2 months before she turned 5. My son just turned three and can already balance really well on a Strider, I suspect by the end of the summer he might be pedaling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.